Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2008, 09:32 PM

939 posts, read 2,380,017 times

Advertisements

Hey,

Sorry that you didn't find what you were looking for. I'm going to have to disagree with the people who told you that the southern end of HP has the heaviest concentration of Jews. I live in Ravinia and I know that it's one of the most mixed areas in HP. Ravinia elementary is NOT predominantly Jewish, nor is the Ravinia neighbhorhood. As I mentioned in a previous post, my block alone as an example is about 65% non Jew, 35% Jew. However, I would suggest that if you don't want to live in a town that has a significant (but minority) Jewish population, you shouldn't move to HP. The Jewish culture is something one cannot escape.

I think Ravinia seems to fit who you are (tree hugging, low key, environmentally friendly, minimalist, right?) except for the housing stock. Even though your children are not yet in grade school, I can't say enough wonderful things about Ravinia Elementary. I'm sorry the person you met is leaving Ravinia because she doesn't feel like she fits in. I've never heard that before, as Ravinia is known for its welcoming atmosphere and desirability for people who don't need, want, or can't afford big homes. It's teeming with families with children of all ages. Most people are reluctant to leave Ravinia if they find themselves outgrowing their home and try to find a bigger one or add on to what they have. I think for every one person that you talk to that says they don't feel comfortable because they aren't Jewish, you'll find more than a handful that don't feel that way. I'm not sure HP is right for you or not, but I didn't want you to change your mind based on one conversation.

WRT the Highlands... you may find the housing stock that you are looking for there. There are lots of 60's and 70's split levels. There are bigger yards too, but not a lot of sidewalks and you can't walk to anything like you can in Ravinia. To me, the beauty of where I live is the ability to walk to everything (post office, dry cleaners, sushi, Chinese, Italian, BBQ, pizza, nail salon, Walgreen's, farmers market, Ravinia Festival, beach, school, train station, etc.) This appeals to my tree hugging side. I also love the old fashioned neighborhood with sidewalks and detached garages. If your main concern is getting that 50's ranch, I'm not sure you'll find it in Ravinia though. As you probably noticed in your visit, it's mostly 1920-1940 architecture with a little 1970's thrown in.

Sherwood Forest is nice, bigger lots, mixture of housing, but again, you can't walk to anything. People seem to like it though.

Is your realtor from HP?

I'm happy to speak with you more about HP by PM if you'd like.

I hope you find the right town and right home. I'm sure the task seems daunting when you read and hear so many conflicting opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Was Risky Business based in Glenview? Or was it Glencoe?

There are just so many movies based in the North Shore...
Risky Business was filmed in Highland Park. "Joel's" house is still standing on Linden Avenue.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:37 PM

1,083 posts, read 3,724,829 times
According to Wikipedia, family size is:

Lake Forest: 3.17;
Lake Bluff: 3.21;
Winnetka: 3.35;
Kenilworth 3.39
Glenview: 3.11

Old 07-02-2008, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paige65 View Post
Hey,

Sorry that you didn't find what you were looking for. I'm going to have to disagree with the people who told you that the southern end of HP has the heaviest concentration of Jews. I live in Ravinia and I know that it's one of the most mixed areas in HP. Ravinia elementary is NOT predominantly Jewish, nor is the Ravinia neighbhorhood. As I mentioned in a previous post, my block alone as an example is about 65% non Jew, 35% Jew. However, I would suggest that if you don't want to live in a town that has a significant (but minority) Jewish population, you shouldn't move to HP. The Jewish culture is something one cannot escape.

I think Ravinia seems to fit who you are (tree hugging, low key, environmentally friendly, minimalist, right?) except for the housing stock. Even though your children are not yet in grade school, I can't say enough wonderful things about Ravinia Elementary. I'm sorry the person you met is leaving Ravinia because she doesn't feel like she fits in. I've never heard that before, as Ravinia is known for its welcoming atmosphere and desirability for people who don't need, want, or can't afford big homes. It's teeming with families with children of all ages. Most people are reluctant to leave Ravinia if they find themselves outgrowing their home and try to find a bigger one or add on to what they have. I think for every one person that you talk to that says they don't feel comfortable because they aren't Jewish, you'll find more than a handful that don't feel that way. I'm not sure HP is right for you or not, but I didn't want you to change your mind based on one conversation.

WRT the Highlands... you may find the housing stock that you are looking for there. There are lots of 60's and 70's split levels. There are bigger yards too, but not a lot of sidewalks and you can't walk to anything like you can in Ravinia. To me, the beauty of where I live is the ability to walk to everything (post office, dry cleaners, sushi, Chinese, Italian, BBQ, pizza, nail salon, Walgreen's, farmers market, Ravinia Festival, beach, school, train station, etc.) This appeals to my tree hugging side. I also love the old fashioned neighborhood with sidewalks and detached garages. If your main concern is getting that 50's ranch, I'm not sure you'll find it in Ravinia though. As you probably noticed in your visit, it's mostly 1920-1940 architecture with a little 1970's thrown in.

Sherwood Forest is nice, bigger lots, mixture of housing, but again, you can't walk to anything. People seem to like it though.

Is your realtor from HP?

I'm happy to speak with you more about HP by PM if you'd like.

I hope you find the right town and right home. I'm sure the task seems daunting when you read and hear so many conflicting opinions.
Everyone I've ever known who has lived in Ravinia has loved it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthera View Post
Its like Lake Bluff, but more sprawling, and with chain stores. There's nothing wrong with Glenview, but in many ways its more conservative than the NS suburbs. The other places you've looked, Evanston, LB, HP, LF all have some interesting and unique qualities (as well as beaches), but Glenview is sort of generic suburbia.
I agree.

409 posts, read 1,517,872 times
Risky Business was filmed in Highland Park, but the setting is Glencoe, as mentioned in the movie.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nysee53 View Post
Risky Business was filmed in Highland Park, but the setting is Glencoe, as mentioned in the movie.

Nysee is 100% correct!

Old 07-02-2008, 09:44 PM

409 posts, read 1,517,872 times
I PM'ed Jay my realtor from Glencoe, who can help her in Highland Park, Lake Forest, Evanston, whatever she wants to do. She loves New Trier, but she has sold homes in Highland Park, Lake Forest, and Lake Bluff for me in the past. She has been in business since the early 90's. She has great connection and helps clients buy and sell property whatever the price $100,000 to over $2,000,000. She genuinely cares about her clients and that is why we are good friends.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:45 PM

961 posts, read 2,566,081 times
Thanks Paige65,

I certainly haven't formed any solid opinions about HP yet so no worries there. I'm just information gathering at this point. What I saw of Ravinia today, I really liked. There were actually a few mid century modern style houses that I really liked, but I was told by my realtor that they would be way out of my price range. BTW, she lives in Fort Sheridan and knows HP almost better than any other north shore burb. I agree that being able to walk to everything increases your quality of life considerably. We are trying the one car (hybrid of course) household thing right now so it would be nice if I didn't "need" a car everyday. Being able to hear the music from Ravinia during the summer sounds really nice too.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:46 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,465,334 times
I had lots of friends in Glenview when I was a kid. Don't remember any mid-century modern houses. Either there's a part of Glenview I'm really not familiar with or the person who told you this doesn't know architecture. As far as cultural tendencies, Glenview never struck me as particularly progressive back then-- I'd be surprised if it's gone through some big transformation. Pretty hardcore suburban midwestern.

As for the whole Jewish thing, I wonder whether some of that perception is culture clash, much like you get when moving from one area of the country to another. As a "goy" who married a Jew, my perspective is they definitely have a different way of doing things (generalization, but yes). Just like southerners have a different way of doing things and northern Californians and southern Californians have their own style.

For me, it boils down to whether you can see past cultural differences and enjoy yourself.

The only caution I hear that I take as legitimate is that when the kids hit Bar/Bat Mitzvah age, they might feel some social pressure/isolation if they're way outnumbered by kids having big parties. And I've heard it's harder for the girls than the boys. But again, how you play that is for you to decide.

Glad you enjoyed the storm today. It was a doozy!

Good luck with the hunt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs