Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 05:03 PM

961 posts, read 2,566,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Apparently and DePaul University now.
I'm not sure that I understand your reply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 08:46 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,628,883 times
I'm not sure I do either LOL!

Congrats on making your move. I don't know jack about Evanston's schools in particular though so I'll leave that to others far more qualified.

Have you checked our greatschools.net?

Old 05-21-2008, 10:13 AM

305 posts, read 1,116,755 times
We recently moved to Evanston too (about a month ago, from downtown Chicago) and we did a ton of research on the schools. And after months of exhausting research, the answer is...there is no answer. Everybody we asked had a different opinion on what the best schools were, and what the best parts of Evanston were. Evanston is, IMO, much more of a "small city" than a "large suburb" in that it has several different neighborhoods with different identities, although those identities are not as differentiated as you get in a big city. But you have high-rise condos and townhouses downtown, normal-sized historic homes just west of downtown and around the university, huge historic homes along the lakefront, and every type of suburban dwelling, both new and old, transit-friendly and car-friendly, as you go north and west from downtown Evanston.

The District 65 website has links to all the school boundaries and test results, and I'd suggest looking at that. In particular, look at the data closely to understand the "performance gap" issue in Evanston; all Evanston school boundaries are drawn to include some of Evanston's lower-income areas, and "average" test scores don't reflect how well the typically more-fortunate kids do there (or how average the less-fortunate do).

In general, most people we spoke with were very positive about the schools in the north part of the city that feed into Haven Jr. High - that would be Orrington, Kingsley, Willard, and Lincolnwood. Dewey grade school also has its fans, as does Lincoln. I'm sure the others have fans too, but we didn't spend much time looking in those other parts of town.

Having gone through the Evanston move so recently, I'd be happy to answer any questions you have via DM.

Old 05-28-2008, 11:50 AM

961 posts, read 2,566,765 times
I have been looking at listings in Evanston and the pictures of the houses including the houses next to the house I am looking at, are not our style at all. If this is what the area looks like, perhaps it isn't for us. I guess I prefer the more sanitized look for Highland Park and the north suburbs.

Also, if I am a HUGE wimp about the cold, how miserable am I going to be? I am afraid that we are going to move all the way to Chicago and be completely uncomfortable most of the year weather wise.

Old 05-28-2008, 05:17 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynetarzana View Post
Also, if I am a HUGE wimp about the cold, how miserable am I going to be? I am afraid that we are going to move all the way to Chicago and be completely uncomfortable most of the year weather wise.
How cold is "cold" for you to be miserable? Its only truly cold for around 2-3 months, the other 2 "winter" months arent horrible (40s and 50s). Late December, January, and most of February can be bone chilling, even in the daytime. Expect lows in the 20s and teens, with a handful of days only reaching single digit temps and nighttime lows below zero degrees. I frickin love those nights, but many dont. Anyways, early December is normally in the 40s, maybe 50s and 60s, but those days only occur once or twice throughout all of winter. March is a toss up, anywhere from 30 to 70 degrees, same for April. May is when things get more steady, averaging in the 70s and 80s. June, July, August, September and a good chunk of October are in the 70s and 80s, with summer throwin a handful of hot and steamy days in the 90s and the rare 100 degree day.

Old 05-28-2008, 06:47 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,291,070 times
If you are still looking for a city I'd like to suggest Park Ridge. It's a northwest suburb that is becoming increasingly liberal. We have nice new and old homes here at a reasonable price and out school districts are very good. The only thing might be the commute but it has better schools than Evanston and neighborhoods and is more affordable than Highland Park.

The weather is bearable and since you are coming from northern California instead of southern that really helps.

These might help:

Average Weather for Park Ridge, IL - Temperature and Precipitation

Old 05-28-2008, 10:31 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,621,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
I'm not sure I do either LOL!
DePaul University students and others protested Jim Gilchrist's (leader of the Minutemen Project) address to the DePaul Conservative Alliance student group.

Old 05-29-2008, 05:26 AM

24 posts, read 84,621 times
Have you considered Northbrook? It may have some modern homes and I don't think it would be a bad commute to Mettawa.
In case no one has mentioned it yet, commuting in Chicago can be a real bear so it's good to live reasonably close to where you work

Old 05-29-2008, 05:31 AM

24 posts, read 84,621 times
Default no way these houses are priced in the $600-$700k range

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windy City John View Post

http://mlsni4.connectmls.com/PICS/3C1CFC44DB9058E9E040010A350168F5/P_1192114205672_exterior_323_S_Lincoln.JPEG (broken link)

Check out Hinsdale-- these homes you can walk to Hinsdale Village and Madison or Monroe Elmentary School I'll put tehese up against Northshore any day of the week!
Hinsdale is great but these houses have to be $1million plus and commute from Hinsdale to Mettawa would be 1-2 hours.

Old 05-29-2008, 03:22 PM

1 posts, read 3,475 times
Default Northbrook Liberal?

You will have a tough time finding something in your price range in Northbrook and having lived there as a teeanger, I can tell you it is the antithesis of Liberal.

I live in Libertyville now and they have a great downtown area with a great park on the north side of town and the Metra to take you downtown. Your price range should buy you a decent place there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs