U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2013, 10:12 PM

1,258 posts, read 2,212,332 times

Advertisements

Can anyone recommend a nice mid-tier restaurant to take some visitors to in Oak Park, Forest Park, or River Forest? Preferably American but it can be any cuisine. Just looking for a nice place to take some visitors from the midwest on a Friday night where we would be able to talk at an audible level. I really like modern, fresh cuisine.

Has anyone tried:
Cafe Luca
Lake Street Gill
Piggy Back Tavern

?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2013, 08:54 AM

424 posts, read 421,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete6032 View Post
Can anyone recommend a nice mid-tier restaurant to take some visitors to in Oak Park, Forest Park, or River Forest? Preferably American but it can be any cuisine. Just looking for a nice place to take some visitors from the midwest on a Friday night where we would be able to talk at an audible level. I really like modern, fresh cuisine.

Has anyone tried:
Cafe Luca
Lake Street Gill
Piggy Back Tavern

?
How about yelp?

http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc...0c42947f376ef4

Old 12-29-2013, 10:14 AM

1,002 posts, read 1,615,575 times
Lake Street Kitchen and Bar might fit the bill, as far as American "modern, fresh cuisine" goes. Winberie's is also good in that respect. Marion Street Cheese Market would also work depending on budget.

Old 12-31-2013, 08:30 AM

2,687 posts, read 3,896,087 times
Marion Street Cheese Market is much better then Lake Street Kitchen. Probably the only place in Oak Park I would describe as "modern... fresh" is Marion Street Cheese Market.

Old 12-31-2013, 08:35 AM

28,461 posts, read 78,578,082 times
I am not a fan of Lake St.Kitchen.

The Marion St. Cheese Market Bistro is a little over-the-top with thier platitudes about "farm to table" nonsense but the food is mighty tasty -- Menus | Marion Street Cheese Market

Old 12-31-2013, 12:46 PM

11,973 posts, read 29,517,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
The Marion St. Cheese Market Bistro is a little over-the-top with thier platitudes about "farm to table" nonsense...[/url]
So you prefer farm to transport company to middle man to cold storage to transport company to table?

Old 01-01-2014, 01:53 PM

28,461 posts, read 78,578,082 times
LK -- I see the wink but the fact is that I have a pretty close family member working for a branch of the federal bueracratic infrastructure charged with keeping our food supply safe and they tell me there are so many holes in the entire "organic" side of things that it's probably a bigger threat to health than the mega-corp food processors... As long as the stuff is safe and tasty it might as well circle the globe in a 747!

Old 01-02-2014, 07:59 AM

1,002 posts, read 1,615,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post
Marion Street Cheese Market is much better then Lake Street Kitchen. Probably the only place in Oak Park I would describe as "modern... fresh" is Marion Street Cheese Market.
I agree that MSCM is better. I offered up LSKB as a cheeper alternative, not knowing the price point of the OP, and they do have some pretty good dishes... I'd characterize it as more a "modern" twist on some traditional ideas.

Old 01-05-2014, 12:01 AM

11,973 posts, read 29,517,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
LK -- I see the wink but the fact is that I have a pretty close family member working for a branch of the federal bueracratic infrastructure charged with keeping our food supply safe and they tell me there are so many holes in the entire "organic" side of things that it's probably a bigger threat to health than the mega-corp food processors... As long as the stuff is safe and tasty it might as well circle the globe in a 747!
Well, many believe that you can eliminate the "holes" in the "organic side of things" by knowing exactly where your food comes from. The more serious locavore chefs usually go straight to the farmers and develop relationships with them. It's not the same as buying something labeled "organic" at Mariano's.

Cue Portlandia sketch about the organic chicken farm…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8SjkDq2ZwI

Old 01-08-2014, 09:54 AM

214 posts, read 500,652 times
Cucina Paradiso is comfortable with decent food. A new Greek place in Papaspiro's old spot opens today. Looks nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs