Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 07:07 PM

3 posts, read 11,760 times

Advertisements

Hello

My wife and me are currently looking to purchase a property in the city (S Grove and 12th) and were wondering, if anyone could advice on the safety in that region? We are moving from Minneapolis and have a three year old daughter? Is this a safe neighborhood for kids and how safe is it in the night time? We would appreciate any feedback. Looking forward to hearing from you folks

Regards
V
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2013, 08:55 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Depending on what you are looking for / what your budget is I would caution that being too close to "12th St" would not be wise -- while safety in this part of Oak Park is not a partcular concern, the traffic volumes on Roosevelt Rd together with the fact that this location is really closer to Berwyn / Forest Park than any of the desirable amenities of Oak Park would give me pause...

I have shopped at the nearby Jewel grocery a few times and found the mix of customers and even employees to be significantly less courteous than those at stores closer to the core of Oak Park. Similarly, unlike the stores nearer the core of Oak Park / River Forest where one often sees entire families shopping together, the Roosevelt Rd market seems more like the kind of place that folks use only when they have no other options...

There are those that beleive any square inch of land in Oak Park is like owning a slice of heaven while the more realistic folks will evaluate the trade-offs that come with every purchase and conclude that towns just a little further west with good rail service may be a better overal value as well as making it easier to walk to schools / libraries / recreational facilities...

Old 12-28-2013, 09:24 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,460,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Depending on what you are looking for / what your budget is I would caution that being too close to "12th St" would not be wise -- while safety in this part of Oak Park is not a partcular concern, the traffic volumes on Roosevelt Rd together with the fact that this location is really closer to Berwyn / Forest Park than any of the desirable amenities of Oak Park would give me pause...

I have shopped at the nearby Jewel grocery a few times and found the mix of customers and even employees to be significantly less courteous than those at stores closer to the core of Oak Park. Similarly, unlike the stores nearer the core of Oak Park / River Forest where one often sees entire families shopping together, the Roosevelt Rd market seems more like the kind of place that folks use only when they have no other options...

With all due respect Chet, I couldn't disagree with you more here. Roosevelt Road is quickly becoming a pretty hot area. The Wire music venue just opened near Roosevelt and Oak Park Avenue and is supposed to be excellent. It joins Friendly Tap and FitzGerald's, making for three live music venues on the street. Then there's Bohdi Thai, Autre Monde, Big Guy's Sausage, and Capri. All on Roosevelt. And I predict you'll see more in coming years as the increasingly younger population in the area realizes it doesn't have to drive to the City every weekend to have fun.

And of course that location's close to some good businesses on Oak Park Avenue like Kinderhook, Avenue Ale House and Sen Sushi Bar, as well as the Harrison Street Art District. It's also 3-4 blocks from the Blue Line.

If anything, I'd say this is one of the places to buy in Oak Park. It's still somewhat affordable, and close to amenities and transit. A good place to buy, IMHO.

Old 12-28-2013, 09:32 AM

The OP asked about child oriented spots. The places listed are excellent nightspots and might be nice for those without a three year old...

Old 12-28-2013, 11:35 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,460,718 times
Quote:
The OP asked about child oriented spots. The places listed are excellent nightspots and might be nice for those without a three year old...
You said you'd have reservations about this location due to lack of amenities on Roosevelt. What amenities would they lack being near there, Harrison St. and a couple miles from the center of OP?

Old 12-28-2013, 11:46 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,950,687 times
While I don't live in that part of Oak Park, I know people who do live within a block or two of Roosevelt Rd (12th St) who seem fairly content. I wouldn't want to live right on Roosevelt, but its fairly quiet on the side streets just off Roosevelt. Lincoln Elementary is one of the better performing schools and is within walking distance.

Old 12-28-2013, 11:49 AM

Oak Park's library, village indoor tennis / recreational center, cute shopping district and popular gathering spots are all other the side of the Ike...

Old 12-28-2013, 01:02 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,950,687 times
Quote:
Oak Park's library, village indoor tennis / recreational center, cute shopping district and popular gathering spots are all other the side of the Ike...
That is one big downside for living south of the expressway. Residents jokingly say they live in "North Berwyn" due to their separation from the core of Oak Park by the big highway ditch. That being said, there are unique amenities south of the expressway such as the Conservatory and the Rehm Park pool. The recent reconstruction of Roosevelt Rd is a significant improvement and has led to an improved retail and pedestrian experience.

Personally, I would prefer living closer to downtown Oak Park, but, of course, the real estate prices get pricier the closer you get to the center of town.

Old 12-28-2013, 01:21 PM

Default Exactly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
That is one big downside for living south of the expressway. Residents jokingly say they live in "North Berwyn" due to their separation from the core of Oak Park by the big highway ditch. That being said, there are unique amenities south of the expressway such as the Conservatory and the Rehm Park pool. The recent reconstruction of Roosevelt Rd is a significant improvement and has led to an improved retail and pedestrian experience.

Personally, I would prefer living closer to downtown Oak Park, but, of course, the real estate prices get pricier the closer you get to the center of town.
If the OP is from the area and understands those trade-offs that is one thing, but for folks from outside the area facing a ticking clock for relocation too often they don't really get a chance to do all the investigation of the areas' downsides. Typically it follows from something like "friends told us Oak Park is as close you can get to Chicago without having to deal with goofy CPS selective admissions schools" but the fact is if you are paying Oak Park taxes and end up closer to Berwyn you might be better off with a more value priced town...

Old 12-29-2013, 09:15 AM

2,756 posts, read 4,412,906 times
It is a very good location in many ways, very close walking distance to a little strip on Oak Park avenue where your daughter will love going in the summer to get ice cream. I think that area of Oak Park is wonderfully affordable, still has access to good parks and schools (Lincoln is so close...) for kids and is full of young families. I would not be concerned about safety, but I don't know where you come from and what you are used to. We lock our cars here and houses/garages, as we are close to some rough areas of Chicago and spillover crime can occur anywhere, but it is mostly small crimes of opportunity/nuisance. I always feel that any woman walking alone at night should be alert no matter where they are, but people are often walking their dogs at night and feel comfortable in this neighborhood.

So you might need to jump in your car to go to the Trader Joe's or the main Oak Park library, but I agree that Roosevelt Road has improved wonderfully and there are lots of tasty places nearby to eat, Jewel/CVS, great music at Fitzgerald's, good theater at 16th street and the Open Door etc... And you will be closer to the new Costco that has just opened in North Riverside.

But I do agree that it could be noisy during rush hour etc.... I would ask about that, and notice where your windows/property faces. Actually, that would be my main concern. I think safety will be even better since you will be so close to Roosevelt (actually on it?), which will be well lit at all hours of the night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs