Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 08:27 PM

30 posts, read 100,222 times

Advertisements

DH and I have lived in and around Chicago our whole lives, with the exception of college/grad school. We are living in a lovely western suburb now, nothing to complain about per se....except that I am bored, bored, bored. Sometimes, it seems like life in the midwest is "neither here nor there."

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 05:46 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,610,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VioLynn33 View Post
DH and I have lived in and around Chicago our whole lives, with the exception of college/grad school. We are living in a lovely western suburb now, nothing to complain about per se....except that I am bored, bored, bored. Sometimes, it seems like life in the midwest is "neither here nor there."

Any thoughts?
Move

Old 05-20-2009, 07:15 AM

939 posts, read 2,379,465 times
Do you go to the city often enough? Do you travel? Take weekend trips? What do you envision life would be like if you lived somewhere other than the midwest?

Old 05-20-2009, 07:34 AM

3,047 posts, read 9,031,232 times
There's a lot of excitement if you want to move about 10-15 miles to the Southeast. Kind of hard to get bored out here with all the interesting characters running around and things happening...boring is a good thing. Plus, it is a sign that you are not using your brain enough. Get creative, game plan. This isn't college. You just can't wing your way through life. You have to come up with some good ideas and take advantage of what you have and your location. For starters, do you live near a Forest Preserve?

Old 05-20-2009, 07:44 AM

1,464 posts, read 5,508,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VioLynn33 View Post

Any thoughts?
Try going to other parts of the city for things perhaps? When I want to get the hell out of Orland I venture up to Skokie or Gurnee and do some shopping. At least it's a change of scenery.

Old 05-21-2009, 06:28 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,644,916 times
get involved in your community...join a group, volunteer, help start something. that is the joy of living out here..especially in a smaller community!

Old 05-21-2009, 08:11 AM

1,966 posts, read 6,074,538 times
With a handful of notable exceptions, most suburbs are boring. Boring people move to them because they like to feel safe, peaceful, and bored. Being bored is acceptable when you have young kids because survival takes precedence over excitement. Otherwise it doesn't make a ton of sense for someone who likes some buzz and action on the streets.

Old 05-21-2009, 08:45 AM

115 posts, read 291,361 times
I feel like this during the winter. Everything is grey- the sky and dirty snow, my car from all the salt. Now that the weather is better find some bike trails or explore a new town. Do you have kids? Even going to a kid venue in another town can be better than what you're used to. Ajoloti's post makes sense. Go downtown, even f you have kids. There's lots to do and they need to see there's a whole world outside their little suburb. There are great architecture tours, the beaches, just so much to do.

Old 05-21-2009, 11:42 AM

4,593 posts, read 9,192,619 times
Yeah I feel the someway sometimes. I'm close to the city, but I wish I was actually living in the city.

Old 05-21-2009, 11:51 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,780,988 times
We have one young kid, are about to have another young kid, and live in the city. We are rarely bored, even though we now have a hard time enjoying a lot of what the city has to offer in terms of dining and nightlife. But there is just so much to do at any given time. Winter does kind of suck, but it really only stops us from enjoying outdoor activities.

We are considering a move to an inner-ring burb primarily because of schools, but it's important to us to stay close to the city and to have good access to things on foot. I think our automobile-oriented suburbs isolate us, and prevent us from enjoying any sort of public life. We hop in the car, drive to a parking lot, shop anonymously, and drive home. You can go to and from work without actually running in to anyone at all. Community institutions are crumbling, and kids are sort of raised in isolation from the community except for a few organized sports activities.

Sprawl is sprawl, and I really don't think you'd be any happier on the coasts. Frankly, I think it has more to do with the environment you are living in than the region of the country. Sure, winter can be a bummer, but perhaps you just need to learn to enjoy it more. Get better outerwear and get outside in the winter. Learn to ice skate or something. I don't know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs