Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 07:30 PM

2,157 posts, read 5,492,914 times

Advertisements

While each town has it's own identity and offerings, I think there should a be general "Tri-Town" thread especially so that new folks can knows the cohesiveness of the Tri-Town community and how Dyer, Schererville, St. John, and the unincorporated areas within St. John Township complement one another!

So hopefully this will be a thread where people will post various community happenings and development going on!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2014, 07:34 PM

Post Residential & Commercial Development Update (St. John)

Not only will this be a welcome way to develop the land northeast of Wicker Ave & Bingo Lake Dr/W 85th Ave intersection, but as the article states, it will enhance the safety of the busy corridor in front of LCHS.

St. John inks deal for commercial, residential complex

Old 01-13-2014, 09:58 AM

37 posts, read 74,640 times
Shouldn't this be in the NWi section?

Old 01-13-2014, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberGuyPR View Post
Shouldn't this be in the NWi section?
Yes, I realized that as soon as I posted it. I asked two moderators to switch it if possible.

Old 01-13-2014, 12:58 PM

119 posts, read 300,011 times
I think the previously stated consensus is NWI towns in lake and porter county are considered by most to be Chicago suburbs. So it's a good thread for Chicago Suburbs.

Old 01-13-2014, 07:16 PM

172 posts, read 316,240 times
Munster Hammond east Chicago are Chicago suburbs essentially. But St. John? No. I'd even say dyer is to. Schererville is pushing it.

Old 01-13-2014, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drss01 View Post
Munster Hammond east Chicago are Chicago suburbs essentially. But St. John? No. I'd even say dyer is to. Schererville is pushing it.
Lol ok.

Old 01-13-2014, 09:36 PM

172 posts, read 316,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
Lol ok.
I was raised in Munster. Mhs class of '95. I'm from the region. St. John? Is not a suburb of Chicago.

Old 01-14-2014, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drss01 View Post
I was raised in Munster. Mhs class of '95. I'm from the region. St. John? Is not a suburb of Chicago.
I'm a little over 10 years younger than you (I assume), but I was raised here as well. And I still live here. In 1995, St. John clearly was not considered a suburban area of Chicago. Now? It is much much more so than it was then. Considering most of the people living there now are from areas like Chicago Heights, Sauk Village, Park Forest, Richton Park and even Crete as well as some people from other NWI areas, many commute to Chicago everyday for work. And Dyer and Schererville are definitely NOT pushing it lol.

Last edited by Northwest Indiana; 01-14-2014 at 05:18 AM..

Old 01-14-2014, 07:42 AM

811 posts, read 2,337,844 times
I'm not here to get in an argument with people (been there done that lol) about whether certain NWI towns are Chicago suburbs. That's a tired debate. However, living in NWI and working in Illinois, I have found how ignorant (in the truest, least offensive sense of the word) people from Illinois suburbs of Chicago are about Northwest Indiana's proximity to the city.

For example, someone here mentioned that St. John and Schererville are either not suburbs or are pushing it. Do you realize that St John and Schererville, Indiana are BOTH closer to downtown Chicago than: Libertyville (and anything north of it), Lake Zurich, Crystal Lake, Cary, Elgin, St. Charles, Geneva, Batavia, Aurora, Plainfield, and New Lenox. Just sayin'. A lot of people don't realize that.

I'm not saying one is better than the other, just pointing out some facts that a lot of people I've met over the years seem to not realize. Presumably, if you're willing to sign up for a message board to discuss the area, most of you are probably more in tuned with NWI and its proximity and connection to Chicago than others.

Northwest Indiana the poster probably did intend to have this post on the NWI board. But, with as many people as I've talked to both on these boards and in person who wanted information about the Tri-town area and potentially moving from Illinois, maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to keep it here too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs