Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 09:48 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,912,278 times

Advertisements

There is no problem getting to and from downtown on the train to Lombard. There are occasional latenesses and problems but that should not deter you.

I think the pause has to do with Lombard itself. Nothing wrong with it at all....its just that there are more desirable places to live around it.

So....if somebody said to me, "I am planning on moving here, and I am thinking of living in Lombard"....I would say "Lombard is okay...but maybe you might want to look in Glen Ellyn or Wheaton".

I personally think they are nicer towns. Again, Lombard is okay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2008, 11:38 PM

6 posts, read 23,538 times
I lived in Lombard for several years and got some of the same reactions. However, I loved it there, there was easy access to shopping, restaurants, medical facilties, schools, and transportation.

I also worked in the city and only experienced train delays a couple times and none had anything to do with the weather.

I suggest trying to buy near the Praire Path, it's great for biking, running or just long walks.

You will love Lilacia Park, especially around the holidays.

Old 11-08-2009, 08:21 AM

2 posts, read 4,648 times
As for the commute, check very carefully the walk from the wage earner's office to the Metra station, how frequently the trains run, the length of the train ride, and then the walk home; in other words, look at the TOTAL

Old 11-08-2009, 08:25 AM

2 posts, read 4,648 times
The Lombard schools are good, but... look elsewhere if you have a gifted child. The part time enrichment program pales in comparison to the magnet school model that can be found in a few public and independent schools in the Western Suburbs.

Old 11-10-2009, 05:27 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,707,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagolandmom View Post
The Lombard schools are good, but... look elsewhere if you have a gifted child. The part time enrichment program pales in comparison to the magnet school model that can be found in a few public and independent schools in the Western Suburbs.

Well if your kid is smart he'll do fine in any decent school.

Old 11-10-2009, 08:01 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,232,773 times
And then the kid will show Mom how to check the date of a post before digging up a 1 1/2 year old post for no apparent reason.

Old 11-11-2009, 09:22 AM

264 posts, read 2,142,707 times
I lived in Lombard for 21 years, its a good town, but not so good if you or your husband is in the construction trade, the local government in Lombard is probably the most corrupt in the area. Also each time I've been stopped by a police officer in Lombard I've been asked if they can search my vehicle, never been asked when I got pulled over in another town. But if you know your rights and say "No" then they learn to back off.

Other than that I like Lombard, it's a easy commute to Yorktown shopping center from any area in Lombard, it's also only a few miles from College of Dupage (Glen Ellyn).

Old 01-10-2011, 08:50 PM

1 posts, read 1,588 times
The nonsense about the train makes me laugh. I had no problem take the train back from school on the weekends. Also, who would stay in a hotel just because they couldn't take the train. Come on people, you are not sailing the ocean blue for God's sake.

Anyway I lived in Lombard for 20+ years. I don't have a clue why people pause when they hear it. I have never experienced that when I tell people where I live. As for Glen Ellyn, my driver's ed teacher took us there to see the house where they filmed part of Ferris Bueller's Day Off. That was my extent of going there. What's the point? It's farther from the city and does not have one thing that Lombard doesn't have. Glen Ellyn, Wheaton, Naperville- NO THANK YOU. I'd rather live CLOSER to the city than further away. Lombard is in the best suburban location in my opinion, surrounded by highways.

For those people saying it is banal, they are ignorant and probably have never been to Lombard. It is not Schaumburg or anything with serial townhomes. It has a historic downtown area, even has the Little Orphan Annie house there and Lilacia park as mentioned. They have cruise nights in the summer where people bring their classic cars, and NON-CHAIN RESTAURANTS ... OMG! bbq on the street. We have parades and a Taste of Lombard with the best fireworks in Dupage in the summer.

The downside of Lombard is probably the politics. And the attitude of some people. I attempted to volunteer for the Lombardian newspaper on the side. The middle-aged woman, (part owner) didn't even the look me in the eye and sent me away. I also tried volunteering for the village of Lombard. They also turned me away.

But overall-I have great memories here. A 40 ft pool on half acre lot with a garden, rose bushes and fruit trees. That is what the city people are missing, oh and peace and quiet and easy parking.

Old 01-10-2011, 09:30 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,321,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lombard FTW View Post
That is what the city people are missing, oh and peace and quiet and easy parking.
and bad bars

Old 01-11-2011, 06:22 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,844,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lombard FTW View Post
As for Glen Ellyn... What's the point? It's farther from the city and does not have one thing that Lombard doesn't have.
You mean an extra four minutes via Metra?

I'll give Lombard props for its cruise night. I have a classic car that I bring, and Lombard's cruise night is the best. Wheaton, Elmhurst, Roselle, Downers Grove....? Lombard's is the biggest and best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs