Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2014, 10:35 PM

3 posts, read 8,697 times

Advertisements

I am looking to buy in Glenview or Northbrook. Having lived most of my life in and near Skokie, I'm quite familiar with the area. However, I am less familiar with the differences among the school districts, and there's only so much you can glean from the state report cards. Based on the budget issues from last year, I've ruled out District 31. The small areas of Glenview that go to the Sunset Ridge and Wilmette school districts are not in my price range. Basically, I'm looking at Glenview D34, Glenview/Northbrook D30, and Northbrook D28 and D27. My potentially irrational view is that 34 is the least impressive of those, 27 next and 28/30 ties for best. Is this remotely accurate or rational? It's based mostly on Chicago Magazine lists and my impression of curriculum (for example, availability of foreign language instruction in elementary school). Even if it is rational, are the differences great enough to concern myself with? D34 is also quite large, so I'm wondering if there are major differences within D34. If I limit myself to the schools that are near The Glen, does that make a difference?

Last edited by Ggord; 01-31-2014 at 10:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2014, 08:10 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,370,617 times
There are lots of bits of valuable info buried deeper inside the state report cards. Info about the relative depth of financial resources used to be available, expressed as the value of all property in the district. That info is no longer available.

What they do provide is info about the current spending on both "instructional" and "operational" categories and D28 is quite a bit higher in both categories... Unfortunately comparing these two districts is not apples-to-apples -- D30 has a single middle school one PK-5 school and another 1-5 school while D28 has a single middle school that is larger than D28 with scores a bit lower than D30's but because the scores are tighter it makes the State Honor Roll as do two of the three elementary schools... Illinois Honor Roll - Academic Excellence Awards 2012 List

The kinds of houses / neighborhood might be the factor. Sometimes studying the attendance boundaries can be a good indication of what characteristics match what you are looking for:

http://ww1.northbrook28.net/Document...Home/View/1796

District Boundaries

Old 02-02-2014, 11:57 AM

169 posts, read 550,580 times
We are in District 27 and really love our new neighborhood and community. It is very easy to get caught up in minor differences, but all the schools feed into GBN, so while I sense that there is a little more prestige with D28 now that we've lived here for almost a year, it's not something that concerns us in the least.

I used to live in District 204 in Aurora/Naperville and it was the same thing between 203 and 204. We just wanted good schools, a home that fit our needs, and good neighbors. Obviously our kids will be attending a great high school and the grade schools are wonderful too. You could drive yourself nuts trying to figure out "the best" schools, but at the end of the day I personally feel it is what happens at home with parental involvement that makes a bigger difference than a couple points this way or that with rankings and test scores. So we picked a general area and then found the neighborhood and home that felt right because we knew the schools would be just fine. Good luck!

Old 02-02-2014, 12:10 PM

Chet, I've always wondered how the schools could be compared when D27 breaks it down even more, especially in the K-5 numbers: K-2, 3-5, 6-8.

Old 02-02-2014, 12:52 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,370,617 times
Default I agree...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chisub View Post
Chet, I've always wondered how the schools could be compared when D27 breaks it down even more, especially in the K-5 numbers: K-2, 3-5, 6-8.
The effectiveness of school district leadership or even building level department heads is all but impossible to accurately assess when you try to compare grade level centers to more traditional schools. That said home buyers do "vote with their wallets" and the trend toward more traditionally organized schools tends to leave grade level centers at a disadvantage...

The thing too is as much as I tell folks to shop for the most affordable home in the most costly part of a town the actual impact of a whole range of things is really more important. I mean if you "overspend" and can never take the family for a vacation of get involved in youth sports I gotta think that would be a bigger negative impact than buying a more value oriented place and having a nice balance of work / vacation / recreational sports...

Old 02-02-2014, 03:50 PM

Thanks for the input. If I found the right house in any of 27, 28 or 30, I would buy it. I am mostly wondering about whether there is a true drop between 27 and 34, both of which are organized into smaller grade level centers. I just can't shake this feeling that 34 is not in the same tier with the others. For the record, my son won't start first grade until 2017. He's unlikely to attend the public kindergarten in any of these four districts, because none of them offer a true full-day experience, Instead, they have a kind of pastiche of fee-based care that I find lacking. He will likely stay at the early childhood school that he currently attends for preschool for kindergarten.

Old 02-05-2014, 11:33 AM

166 posts, read 357,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chisub View Post
but at the end of the day I personally feel it is what happens at home with parental involvement that makes a bigger difference than a couple points this way or that with rankings and test scores. So we picked a general area and then found the neighborhood and home that felt right because we knew the schools would be just fine. Good luck!
Agreed. Until you sell your home.....Ha.

Old 02-06-2014, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Series View Post
Agreed. Until you sell your home.....Ha.
I don't think we will be hurting to sell in D27, but of course that would be a different story if the schools were actually bad. I guess I don't know what it will be like in 15 years when our kids graduate GBN. We were in a multi bidding situation on this home within 24 hours of it being listed. Not sure if Chet remembers me, but I put a lot of legwork and research into this move over several years.

My point is that people get so caught up in being at the top school within top schools. It doesn't hurt to seek them out, but I personally don't believe that it is the be all and end all on the path to success. I saw that firsthand in grad school. Maybe that's because I grew up in WI and my husband was an immigrant that went to school in Queens and we both managed to do just fine for ourselves? Lol, tangent over.

Old 03-31-2017, 07:11 AM

1 posts, read 1,489 times
Default Thoughts?

I was wondering what you decided? I am in the same place as you. We are relocating and I am reviewing Northbrook 28 and Glenview 34. I am a Teacher (TX) and Northbrook 28 seems better, with class size, viewing curriculum, etc. As for report cards you are right, the info is okay! thoughts?

Old 03-31-2017, 10:48 AM

I'm the original poster, and I ended up buying in district 27. My son is now nearly through full-day kindergarten and he's had an amazing year. I don't know much about district 34. district 28 definitely starts language and music earlier. They also have aides in the classrooms more often, I think. All I can say is that the parents in district 27 are very happy, my limited experience has been great, the PTO is very active, and Hickory Point and Shabonee are beautiful schools. I think class-size for 27 and 28 and 30 for that matter are very similar. There are 18 kids in my son's classroom. 34 is a much larger district than any of these and I do suspect it has larger class sizes, but that's easy enough to find out for sure.

Edited to add that I was reading through the old posts, and noted that I wasn't planning to go to public kindergarten because there was no full day kindergarten. As of now, all of these districts except for district 34 have full day kindergarten. So if that's an issue for you, that's a reason not to go to 34, although it's a very short term reason.

I'd also add that I love the grade center concept. The whole school, including the library, etc. is geared towards younger students. They are not running into 10-year-olds on the playground or in the lunch room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs