Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 08:18 PM

2,329 posts, read 6,620,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
haha, yeah at this rate that proposed line will probably NEVER happen, thanks to the inept people running this state. Metra's going to have a hard enough time keeping their current lines going.
Its definitely long range. If we can somehow snag the Olympics, hopefully that will get on the fast track, as well as the Circle line for the L.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2007, 08:22 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,217,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by via chicago View Post
Its definitely long range. If we can somehow snag the Olympics, hopefully that will get on the fast track, as well as the Circle line for the L.
I just want to keep my bus route, that's all I ask.

Old 12-10-2007, 12:44 PM

11,973 posts, read 31,715,033 times
The Dutch example is a really good one. The Netherlands has done a great job of creating new suburban development that balances green space with appropriate density for mass transit. Of course, they are also limited by the fact that they often need to fill and drain land to make it habitable, so that probably helps them.

I would like to see an urban growth boundary managed by a regional planning authority with teeth. Portland established these in the 70s, and it has really helped that entire metropolitain area develop in a more responsible fashion.

Old 12-11-2007, 03:12 PM

172 posts, read 437,372 times
[quote=bungalowdweller;2196407]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
I personally think that ex-burbs are wasteful on many levels, encourage racial segregation. I also think their appeal is going to diminish over time as more and more minorities discover their benefits. QUOTE]

I wonder how much racial segregation is really racial in nature and not cultural.

No one questions when a Puerto Rican person wants to live in Humboldt Park or a Mexican person wants to live in Cicero. Quite often that person will say he/she wants to move there precisely because their group dominates the community and they want to contribute to their ethnic community. Why is it considered wrong when white people feel the same way?

Many young white ethnics have moved to exurbia because they no longer felt safe or welcome in their former communities. Whatever happened to freedom of association?

Is it morally wrong for people to choose to segregate based on race? If so, why are elite subdivisions in suburban Atlanta filled with black professionals considered desirable when towns like Naperville that are racially integrated but majority white criticized? Why is it that when whites choose to live together they are almost universally condemned as racist but when Asian, Black or Hispanics choose to do the same they are applauded?

As a person who has lived in major cities my entire life, I am NOT advocating discrimination in any form. I have spent most of my life in mixed communities. However, I believe that something is lost when people are not allowed to live where and with whom their conscience dictates.

I believe that many people move out, not because of color, but culture. It is not my culture to graffitti buildings, throw trash around, and race my car in the alley. This happens in my town. This is a culture of lawlessness which is encouraged by a certain segment of society. I have no further desire to work to "improve" my community when the majority like it just the way it is.

How many others move out for just the same cultural issues?
We had a discussion about this in one of my classes (a few year ago). One of my classmates was talking about Humboldt park (I think) and how white people were coming in and buying houses. Some people were saying that it wasn't right for white people to come in and change their neighborhood. So I asked if it was ok for white people to get mad if minorities came into their neighborhoods. She said it was different but couldn't tell me why it was different.

Old 12-11-2007, 06:56 PM

338 posts, read 615,370 times
Yeah, there's never an explanation why it's different for white ethnics. Most of the current residents of Humboldt are too young to remember when it was Their ethnic group that came in and displaced the people who lived there before them. My great-uncle owned a Beautiful house directly across the street from Humboldt. I visited often as a kid and it was, most assuredly, Not Puerto Rican. EVERY ethnic group gets displaced by another. . .the beat goes on.

Old 12-11-2007, 07:04 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,065,510 times
[quote=prinsessa;2227140]
Quote:
Originally Posted by prinsessa View Post

We had a discussion about this in one of my classes (a few year ago). One of my classmates was talking about Humboldt park (I think) and how white people were coming in and buying houses. Some people were saying that it wasn't right for white people to come in and change their neighborhood. So I asked if it was ok for white people to get mad if minorities came into their neighborhoods. She said it was different but couldn't tell me why it was different.
I know a guy who live in Humboldt park and is in his 50's, he wanted to move back the the neighborhood his father was born in and has been given a hard time by a few of the people who live there now because of his ethnic background (he's white and his family is German, his grandparents were the ones that came over and were part of the reason it was called 'Humboldt Park to begin with ... it is a bit of a sore spot with him that he feels so unwelcome in his family's old neighborhood).

Neighborhoods change.

Old 12-12-2007, 07:53 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,217,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by via chicago View Post
Now the Star line (and any more suburban transit expansion) is in even more jeopardy:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...ck=1&cset=true

The legislative deadlock over state funding for mass transit may jeopardize federal dollars for major commuter rail improvements in the Chicago region, two Illinois congressmen and the head of Metra warned Tuesday.

Illinois could lose up to $1.5 billion for the proposed expansion of Metra service, including the suburb-to-suburb STAR line; SouthEast Service to South Cook and Will Counties; and expansion of the Union Pacific Northwest and West lines into McHenry and DuPage Counties, U.S. Reps. Mark Kirk and Melissa Bean said.

YAY!

Old 12-12-2007, 08:41 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,551,540 times
Springfield bastards.

Old 12-12-2007, 08:49 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,065,510 times
I feel like this state is hell-bent on cutting of its nose to spite its face.

Old 12-12-2007, 09:07 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,251,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
I feel like this state is hell-bent on cutting of its nose to spite its face.
Thats a good way to put it, and rightly so!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs