Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 11:26 AM

5 posts, read 11,089 times

Advertisements

We live in Shorewood, pretty close to where your moving to. Part of Shorewood, where we're at, goes to Minooka schools. Can't say enough good things about the school district. Both our kids went to Walnut Trails Elementary, staff there is great. Once you're past elementary the kids are bused into Minooka for 5/6th at the intermediate school, 7/8th at the junior high, 9/10th go to South Campus, 11/12th Go to the central campus. We've had zero instances of bullying, all the kids are great and there's also no gang activity.

Be very careful about Plainfield. Plainfield has four high schools (South, Central, East and North). Stay away from South, that's Joliet kids who's parents just want to get them into Plainfield schools. Bullying and Gangs are an issue there. I'm not talking south side of Chicago bad, but it's not where I'd wanna send my kids. Central is a little better, but if you end up in that district, East and North are the places to be. Home prices in the North/East area are much higher though. In our case, the same home/builder in the Plainfield North district was $100k more.

Naperville schools are of course good, but housing costs are outrageous.

You might also want to consider the New Lenox area. Homes are reasonably prices and schools are fantastic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2014, 07:20 AM

44 posts, read 78,476 times
Having raised two girls in NPV ( Downtown, Central High) I would recommend anyone who can afford to live in NPV to live here. In spite of " all those people getting stabbed everyday" and " moms killing their kids", " dupage county heroin deaths, this is a desirable city to raise a family with great city amenities and schools. Your husband already knows this. The activities in downtown are very family friendly and something is always going on. Homes hold their value and there are no "ghettos" to speak of. South Naperville is a great choice. Like my quotes above, "everyone" want a Naperville address. If not, they choose to live in neighborhoods which go to Naperville schools. If I had to do it all over again, I would choose Naperville in a hear beat.

PS: Dupage County is a large county that has not only NPV but other towns as well. Some nice and some not so nice

Old 02-28-2014, 05:56 PM

172 posts, read 316,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote27 View Post
Having grown up in the area, I am very familiar with where your husband will be working. I would add Frankfort to your list of suburbs to consider. The drive east to west using local roads from Frankfort to Channahon would be around 30 minutes or less dependent on the weather. You have access to great schools, shopping, and a tad longer Metra into the city to take advantage of what Chicago has to offer.

On a related subject, you mention that you would probably move in 3-5 years. I assume you would want a house that is in a town where prices have not had wild swings. I would consider Plainfield and Channahon as having both been hit harder by the economic downturn than Naperville and then Frankfort. Price stability is something you may want to consider for a possible short stay in the area.
Def agree here frankfort def worth a serious look

Old 03-03-2014, 03:04 PM

247 posts, read 1,141,097 times
Thanks for mentioning Frankfort - I'll definetly check it out!

Old 03-03-2014, 07:08 PM

4 posts, read 8,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
i use to work in downtown naperville..wasnt a big fan of their ego. They think they are the best city on earth..yet people are getting stabbed in the bars in the downtown area..
Crazy guy causes a problem in a bar, guy tries to help and gets stabbed by crazy guy. Lets not overblow the situation. The downtown area of Naperville is extremely safe, they had problems with one bar, which the city forced to be closed down.

Old 03-04-2014, 01:39 PM

19 posts, read 43,894 times
Channahon, Minooka or Morris. All have good schools, great communities and lots of affordable homes, plus all within a short drive from Exxon on I-80 and I-55.

Old 03-08-2014, 07:15 AM

91 posts, read 152,132 times
We just moved to Frankfort from Naperville. It's wonderful in comparison, more of the small town feel Naperville used to be when I grew up there. And your money will go much farther in Frankfort. Schools are great, wonderful park district, great shopping options. Not to mention, the commute into the city is much faster on i-57. Train service in Mokena and Richton Park are easily accessible.-- can go to both La Salle St Station (Can actually go to millenium park) and Union Station on train. No super express trains so it's still a 45-50 minute train ride.

Old 03-10-2014, 10:20 AM

247 posts, read 1,141,097 times
I asked DH about Frankfort - he remembers it being REALLY rual. But he left in 1996, so I imagine alot has changed since then.

Old 03-24-2014, 08:58 AM

91 posts, read 152,132 times
come check it out. He might like it. It's not really rural anymore but it is close to rural areas. I just moved from Naperville and driving to the city takes twice as long from there as from here, I can reach soldier field in 35 minutes taking I57. During rush hour it takes a little longer obviously but it's no where near as bad as the commute via car there. Plus you can go on two different trains, one to millenium station and one to lasalle street station. They do not have any direct trains like Naperville does but Naperville's parking at the train station leaves a lot to be desired. We are close to Orland Park mall for shopping and downtown frankfort has some good restaurants (not chains) although we are close to OP for all of the chains your heart desires. We have a brand new Mariano's as well as a Jewel, a Walt's and Brookhaven Market. Frankfort Farmer's Market in the summer is great. We like it for the same reason we enjoyed how Naperville used to be before it got HUGE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs