Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2014, 07:36 PM

43 posts, read 83,061 times

Advertisements

Hi, there is a job I'm likely going to apply for in Romeoville and I'm just thinking ahead to (if I were to get it) what would be a good Chicago suburb to live in? I'm a single male in my 30s so would prefer to live closer to the city where there is more going on so ideally would be looking for somewhere in between that had easy access to get into downtown Chicago...preferably by public transit (though I do have a car). I don't know too much about the area aside from what I have read online as I've never visited so any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2014, 09:48 PM

223 posts, read 657,821 times
Naperville?

Old 03-03-2014, 11:27 PM

ok, but looks to be about as far from Chicago as Romeoville though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doglover5 View Post
Naperville?

Old 03-04-2014, 01:43 AM

7 posts, read 10,572 times
I live in Lisle in Four Lakes and I'm right by 355 and we have the Metra downtown. Cheaper than Naperville too. I'm about 15 mins from Romeoville. I like this town and getting to the city isn't a problem here. If you're looking for a town along I55 though you may want to check out Downers Grove or Darien. Darien doesnt have a train though.

Old 03-04-2014, 12:01 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,664,753 times
Check out La Grange, Willowbrook, Westmont, Oak Park, and Countryside. All are still close to 55, easy access to BNSF Metra, and will cut your commute by 20 minutes or more.

Are you looking to rent or buy? Price range, amenities, nightlife, etc?

Old 03-04-2014, 02:00 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,046,115 times
I'd consider Naperville. It's fairly close to Romeoville and as far as suburbs go probably the best burb as far as a variety of nightlife options. I would be more concerned about being closer to work than downtown. Your going to be commuting to work 5 days a week during the busiest hours of the day, maybe you go downtown both weekend nights which is a big maybe is it really that big a deal if your 10 or 15 minutes closer to the city when you really dont have any time crunch to be there for the bars anyway?

Downers Grove is decent but its not really that close to your work. I'm maybe thinking kinda narrowly as though I'm in the area not super familar with whats around Romeoville but I'm just kind of thinking of what cities do I go through between Romeoville and Chicago on 55 and really nothing noteworthy comes up.

Old 03-04-2014, 08:12 PM

Thanks for the informative responses! Will check out the places you guys are mentioning. Yes, looking for a place that has more in the way of young, single professionals and a descent nightlife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs