Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 11:21 AM

4 posts, read 7,844 times

Advertisements

I saw a post from January that the OP was accused of being a closet racist, so I just want to put some couple things out there first.
*I am not racist. At all.
*I am NOT a troll. Promise.
*I currently live in Aurora where my children are the minority and there are literally only a handful of white kids in their school. My daughter is currently being bullied and teased for being white. I'm tired of it and want to move.
*I LOVE diversity and definitely want other races. But I just don't want to be the minority anymore.
*We will be moving in 2016 (we are currently paying down the house that we're in now since we're so upside down on the price- Aren't we all though?!?? Ugh)

Ok, here are my requirements.
*Around $250,000-265,000 depending on how crazy taxes are.
*Good junior high and high schools. Not worried about elementary at all since my kids are 10 and 13 now. I have smarty pants kids that need a school that can work with this and offer advanced options.
*Within 45 miles or about an hour of O'hare. This is a must!!!
*We'd like a little property. 1-3 acres?
*Not an uppity neighborhood. We would never ever fit in if we lived in Naperville. They would look at us and laugh. Seriously. Haha
*Again, I am not racist, but I would prefer a town with diversity, but that is predominantly white. Like someone mentioned in the other post, it's just a matter of preference and what we feel more comfortable with. PLEASE don't make me out to sound like a bigot. I'm seriously not.

Thanks for your help! I truly appreciate it!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2014, 11:53 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
A big chunk of land is going to be tough to find in any town with good schools at your price point and adding a request for close to O'Hare and "diversity" makes this all but impossible... I might suggest places on the fringes between unincorporated Woodridge and Bolingbrook that feeds into Downers Grove South but price /size means you are looking for a needle in a haystack --

South High School in DOWNERS GROVE, IL | Student Body | US News

Old 03-15-2014, 12:01 PM

4 posts, read 7,844 times
Haha dang... I think the land is the only thing we're willing to budge on. I just need more than the 1/3 acre we have now. I am also looking at the towns listed in that other post, but was looking for a few more to look into.

Old 03-16-2014, 08:59 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,934,805 times
You could look into such places like Villa Park or Wood Dale. People make a big deal about the schools but I have family that went to the schools in those towns and they went to college and are successful. Naperville is nice but its not for everyone.

Old 03-16-2014, 07:58 PM

120 posts, read 298,144 times
Huntley and Crystal lake fit all your criteria (although property taxes are higher)

Old 03-17-2014, 08:36 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,934,805 times
Huntley and Crystal Lake are no where near O Hare.

Old 03-19-2014, 07:02 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,896,239 times
The tricky question is what time are you going to O'Hare? If you work the noon to 10:00 P.M. shift, there might be such a place within an hour. If you start around 7 A.M. Antioch or Lake Villa are that close by train, though the school issue may not work.

Last edited by pvande55; 03-19-2014 at 07:02 PM.. Reason: misssing word

Old 03-20-2014, 09:37 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,257,268 times
IF you give up the dream of land and focus on a modestly sized house, you can end up close to work and in good schools. The drain of driving 1 hour each way to/from work zaps energy that could be spent with your kids. And although your kids are 10 & 13, don't discount the importance of a good middle school. Middle school is harder than high school for some kids.
Here's the suggestions: Mt. Prospect D57/Prospect HS; River Trails D26/Hersey HS. Arlington Hts. D23/D25/D21 & Hersey/Prospect/Buffalo Grove. Buffalo Grove, Lake Co portion has better schools but higher taxes and more $ homes. Cook Co. portion still has good schools. You are 15-40 minutes depending on your choice. Again, it will require an older home that may need a little work, but the schools are very good. There's a reason the homes are cheaper way out there. It's because of the increased commuting distance combined with a gap in school quality. Location, location, location!

Old 03-21-2014, 11:24 AM

3,763 posts, read 6,706,969 times
Like most other people have stated the land you are seeking is going to be an issue. If you are willing to be flexible on the land then you have a better chance of finding something. Also an hour to O'Hare can be easy or difficult depending on what time of day. Traffic around O'Hare in the morning and especially rush hour can be brutal.

Old 04-25-2014, 03:44 PM

24 posts, read 96,377 times
DEFINITELY won't be an hour from O'Hare in Crystal Lake. Also, you would want to be zoned for Prairie Ridge HS if you do consider that area. By far, better academics achieved there vs. CL Central/South
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs