Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2007, 10:48 AM

1 posts, read 4,618 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
My fiance and I are looking to move to Oak Park, and have found a great condo that we love, but it is right near the L and Metra train lines, so much so that we see the train about 15 feet away outside the living area windows. Obviously, there are some downsides to this, and we are wondering if anyone has had a living experience like this or knows someone who has, and if you could offer any input on what it's like to be so close to the train. Do you get used to it? Is it a huge problem? What have people's experiences been???
Thanks so much for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2007, 10:59 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,961,567 times
We don't live that close but I do know the trains run all day and night. Make sure your unit is quiet in the bedroom with trains going by.

Old 12-04-2007, 12:40 PM

220 posts, read 745,111 times
I live on Taylor just 3 houses south of South Blvd (and the metra, L, and freight trains). We hear them all the time, but it eventually blends into the background and you start to not notice it anymore. Though for you, being tens of feet from the trains will be different.

I agree with sukwoo - be sure the bedrooms are further away from the trains.

Good luck and welcome to Oak Park.

Old 12-04-2007, 01:38 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,644,633 times
I would think it would be the train as opposed to the el that would be hardest to get used to. They're probably not just for the metra- freight trains probably use those lines too and they are LOUD

Have you lived in the city previously? I would think if you are coming form an urban area with more noise you'd get used to it more easily than if you were coming from a very quiet area.

Old 12-04-2007, 01:48 PM
mdz

622 posts, read 2,621,032 times
the freights do use that line. Bottom line--I would see if you can visit the place for a bit and wait for a train to go by and see what is sounds like. Some of the newer construction has real good sound dampening.

Old 12-04-2007, 06:43 PM

3,099 posts, read 2,648,509 times
my son lives a block away from the trains and doesnt notice the sound at all. he says you can hear it if you try to listen for it but other than that it's not a problem.

Old 12-04-2007, 07:33 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,472,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancer6 View Post
Hi everyone,
My fiance and I are looking to move to Oak Park, and have found a great condo that we love, but it is right near the L and Metra train lines, so much so that we see the train about 15 feet away outside the living area windows. Obviously, there are some downsides to this, and we are wondering if anyone has had a living experience like this or knows someone who has, and if you could offer any input on what it's like to be so close to the train. Do you get used to it? Is it a huge problem? What have people's experiences been???
Thanks so much for your help!
Well, I lived at North Blvd. and Forest, and my apartment window was about 50 feet or so from the tracks. You get used to the noise. The L trains park at the depot in Forest Park and the Metras are only an issue during rush hours. And, of course, it's very convenient.

However, it wasn't perfect. Freight trains also share the tracks, and BNSF or whoever operated them would park idling trains in that area. That meant a coating of black soot on the window sills and my A/C filter would literally be clogged up with sticky black junk every couple of weeks or so. I became concerned about this as time went on and it was a factor in my deciding to move out. I don't know if they still do this but you should definitely check the area out at different times and see if it's still an issue. It sounds silly but check the A/C ducts. Air quality is an important point, especially if you're buying and going to live there awhile. My $.02.

Old 12-05-2007, 06:10 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,961,567 times
We used to live by the OP library (about one block away). My wife swore she could smell the fumes from the freight train locomotives idling on the tracks even though I could not (she has a nose like a bloodhound).

Old 12-05-2007, 11:24 AM

220 posts, read 745,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
I would think it would be the train as opposed to the el that would be hardest to get used to. They're probably not just for the metra- freight trains probably use those lines too and they are LOUD
Actually, my experience is that the L is the loudest (think rattling an empty soda half filled with coins), the freight trains that next loudest (but not nearly as loud as the L) and the quietest is the Metra (though I am on the east side of the village and don't have to deal with them slowing and stopping for the Oak Park stop near Harlem).

Old 12-05-2007, 10:50 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,472,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mendelman View Post
Actually, my experience is that the L is the loudest (think rattling an empty soda half filled with coins), the freight trains that next loudest (but not nearly as loud as the L) and the quietest is the Metra (though I am on the east side of the village and don't have to deal with them slowing and stopping for the Oak Park stop near Harlem).
It really doesn't go by enough on that track for this to be too much of a problem -- except during weekday rush hours when you're probably going to or coming from work anyway. Plus the Green Line's last run is around 1 a.m. I believe and they're only going by every 15 minutes or so after 7 p.m. The major concern for me was the air quality from the freights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs