Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 03:54 PM

381 posts, read 837,744 times

Advertisements

Are there any normal suburbs that have good schools and aren't snobby with a friendly atmosphere?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2008, 04:55 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,119,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nJohn View Post
Are there any normal suburbs that have good schools and aren't snobby with a friendly atmosphere?
Bartlett (as long as you arent in the parts that go to Elgin schools), Winfield, Wheaton (which can sorta be snobby I guess), Bloomingdale, Warrenville, South Elgin (once again the Elgin school issue), etc.

Old 01-03-2008, 05:26 PM

782 posts, read 3,780,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nJohn View Post
oswego or plainfield

Old 01-29-2008, 09:18 PM

5 posts, read 13,893 times
Naperville is a great place to live. My family moved to Naperville (Will County) area in 2000. You can find 1/2 acre lots & sometimes larger in the unincorporated areas. The homes are usually 25-40 years old, priced between 300K-400K. Taxes are between 1.9% and 2.2% in these areas. Both school districts are great.Note there are also many larger homes in these areas with price range closer to 800k-1M.

Old 01-29-2008, 11:34 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,501,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Same goes for kids in St. Charles, Geneva, Hinsdale, etc. Its everywhere you go now, not just Naperville. I will agree that Naperville does have it share of snobs, but what upper class town doesnt?
Naperville, upperclass? Bwahhahahhahaha!

Old 01-30-2008, 09:36 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,119,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Naperville, upperclass? Bwahhahahhahaha!
Naperville covers lower middle class, middle, upper middle, and upper.

Here's a quarter....

Old 01-31-2008, 05:31 PM

10 posts, read 41,763 times
Hi, Naperville is a great place to live. Great schools, Money mag had ranked it # l a few years back, great location, safe community. Check out my website at glorianowotarskicom for info on the school districts #203 & #204. Taxes can average 6 to 7,000, or 10K+depending on the home, older vs newer, and it's price range.There's a great variety of homes. For instance 617 Zaininger Ave, Naperville. In great condition, 4 bdrm w/bas and sunroom, taxes $6,522. For sure you could find a place there and have a great life. Summer has lots of festivals, winter holiday too, there's the fab riverwalk and a great carillon in the town park where w/w organist come to play. And really, direct station to station to chicago it's only 40 minutes. By car l hr. The Fox Valley area is wonderful!

Old 02-26-2010, 01:40 PM

1 posts, read 3,428 times
Default just curious?

elisabetm, I'm getting ready to move to the Chicago area and we've been looking at the Naperville area. Do you still live there and feel the same?I have 2 daughters,1 heading to elementary school and1 to Middle/Jr.High. I'm very interested in your feedback!
Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by elisabetm View Post
We moved to Naperville almost 2 years ago. Overall, I find it pretty snobby. The schools are great if you have a gifted child. There are honors classes starting in 3rd grade and lots of kids are in them because their parent's have had them tutored since preschool. Honestly, the schools were better in the previous city we lived in. Look closely at curriculum before you buy into the "great school" buzz. If you have a typical, normal child he or she will most likely feel inferior. Mine certainly have. Most kids in Naperville are also too busy for any types of play dates or even friendships. They are scheduled with a well rounded plate of activities that usually involve piano lessons, soccer and Kumon. Many of the kids are also ultra spolied and pretty snobby themselves. Yes, this is only my experience in Naperville. I'm sure others love it. I wish that I had known a little more about the down side of this city before we moved here. I would have picked a different location. If you and your kids are competitive, have to wear the latest designer duds and like to keep to yourselves...Naperville is for you.

Old 02-26-2010, 02:59 PM

28,455 posts, read 84,950,339 times
I don't like to "play detective" but in the case of elisabetm anyone that cares can track her(?) posts. She claims to have lived in MD, MI, and possibly CA. She was obviously very unhappy in Naperville (calling it "Stepford" among other pejoratives...)

She does seem to have a distinct point of view about schools, and some knowledge about how they are funded, so it hard to dismiss all her complaints, but I would remind folks that many independent rankings treat Naperville as objectively among the top places to live in Illinois / the US...

I have lived in the Chicago region nearly all my life. I have owned rental homes. sold real estate, been a teacher and work in a corporate environment. I have met / know an incredible range of people and I rarely have heard anyone claim that Naperville is especially snobby. Further I do live in an area that is among the tops of home prices in DuPage Co, and though the complaints of snobbiness are somewhat more believable I really feel even in the pricest areas of the region such behavior is rare.

Do parents that have solid incomes and the time to do everything they can to help their children be successful deserve criticism? What would be a better way for them to live their life? The commitment that moms & dads make to soccer and piano and other activities certainly beats sitting on the porch drinkin', wouldn't you agree? And it is hardly true that there is any shortage of the kinds of charitable and civic involvement in Naperville or other desirable towns in DuPage Co. The participation rates of churches, Lions Clubs, Chamber of Commerce and other community organizations is off the charts.

Whenever I encounter some one unfamiliar with DuPage Co I invite them to do a little bit of lookin' and a lot of thinkin' -- the success that marks most towns and residents is something that is achievable with a bit of work, some realistic plans and bit of luck. All these things are much easier with a positive mindset and a lot harder if your vision is obscured by something inside your head...

Old 02-27-2010, 12:12 PM

17 posts, read 71,560 times
Just for kicks, elisabetm, do you live on the north side of town or the south side of town?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs