Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 09:04 AM

369 posts, read 759,513 times

Advertisements

Since the DUI thing was brought up I'll say that my Dad learned that it's actually possible to live in Buffalo Grove without a car, though not as easy as it would be in a suburb with decent Pace/CTA service. He rides his bike to work (in Lincolnshire), and can ride to the stores along Lake Cook and the post office. He can walk to the Metra station to go downtown and get on Amtrak to visit me in Normal or his brother in Milwaukee. If the weather isn't cooperating he takes a cab. That does get expensive. But I think that living in a suburb without a car is more possible than most people assume. Before losing his license my dad would have told you it wasn't possible to live in BG without a car. While possible, it's just not easy enough to make it desirable to most people. Without a doubt my dad will be driving again as soon as he gets his license back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2014, 06:15 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,934,805 times
Way back when, my grandmother and aunt lived in various places like Maywood and Oak Park. They never owned a car and walked to the bus and then to the "L" if they wanted to go anywhere. They would walk everywhere in their neighbornoods. They shopped frequently for food and never had a big load. If they wanted to go to bigger stores they would head to the loop. There are many older people that have given up driving and have to rely on other and they live in the burbs. They take cabs or have friends drive them places. That would drive me crazy I am so car centric. It can be done but would you really want to.

Old 04-03-2014, 07:23 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,896,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
Way back when, my grandmother and aunt lived in various places like Maywood and Oak Park. They never owned a car and walked to the bus and then to the "L" if they wanted to go anywhere. They would walk everywhere in their neighbornoods. They shopped frequently for food and never had a big load. If they wanted to go to bigger stores they would head to the loop. There are many older people that have given up driving and have to rely on other and they live in the burbs. They take cabs or have friends drive them places. That would drive me crazy I am so car centric. It can be done but would you really want to.
Wheres your spirit of adventure? A lot of those who gave up driving (I am not referring to the dumb bunnies who got caught drinking and driving) get more out of walking to their destinations. Try it! Walk to some place you usually drive that's a mile away. You'll be surprised what you see.

Old 04-04-2014, 10:08 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,095,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
Regardless of your considerations, Evanston is suburb. I don't think this is even a debatable point.
agreed. i definately agree inner burbs are more walkable, better public transportaiton, some even have blue line or whatever running into the city from them so no disputing one would be better off without a car in oak lawn, forest park, evanston, etc but they are still burbs.

Old 01-28-2017, 04:36 PM

43 posts, read 41,545 times
Smile Live without a car

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Me too, back when.....

Is Evanston a safe place to live for a 60 year old woman without a car?

Old 01-28-2017, 04:37 PM

43 posts, read 41,545 times
Were you able to get to church shop? Did you live in a condo or single family home?

Thank you

Old 01-28-2017, 05:11 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twohearts56 View Post
I would say yes. It will depend on where in Evanston you live, but if you are near the *el* or PACE bus lines, you can live there without a car.

On the whole, Evanston is safe unless you live near the High School or near Howard on the south side of town. You should, of course, be aware of your surroundings. You should also not be wandering around late at night except in downtown if their is an event going on. Otherwise, I see no reason not to feel safe.

Old 01-29-2017, 09:17 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,247,845 times
Quote:
In the broader sense, yes. But even apart from the HS and Howard, be careful where you end up. It's not unlike Chicago proper where building to building it can vary, if that's what you are trying to avoid.

Old 01-29-2017, 11:02 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,896,239 times
Quote:
Women over 60 are seldom crime victims. Traffic accidents are another issue. There have been a few pedestrian fatalities in Evanston, but probably because there are so many pedestrians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs