Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2014, 09:02 AM

1 posts, read 1,063 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I'm single and no kids, coming out to Chicago for the weekend to land an apartment by O'Hare where I'll be working. I was just wondering if you guys might have any tips on the area or in general for relocating. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2014, 03:01 PM

2 posts, read 2,579 times
I've been sitting on a dormant account for a year and now I have a good reason to start using it. Let's see if it's not in futility.

I think the reason people've been shying away from saying anything here since your post 2 days ago is because your parameters are wide open. Don't take that the wrong way. But I've done a lot of observing on these forums before now and whenever people ask for relocation recommendations, the ensuing replies are almost always asking for more specificity, so as to narrow down the range of places to recommend. Given, you stated your family status (or lack thereof) and workplace, which helps, but things like your budget, ideal commute, desired culture/nightlife, transportation method and (when applicable) long-term plans would usually be prompted. But I can't blame you; sometimes we're under-decisive instead of indecisive.

If you're alone down for anything at all, check out the arc between due north and due east of the airport, if for no other reason than that it's popular. To be specific to a name, Des Plaines has a nice diversity of housing stock. If you want to add some more stipulations to your request, I, and I'm sure a couple other people, could help you out. The only thing I would hope you clarify is whether you're working AT O'Hare, NEAR it in the suburbs, or east of it in the NW CHI neighborhood of the same name.

Until then, you can feasibly live anywhere you want. You can get a place in northern Schiller Park that's effectively across the highway from the airport, a place in Schaumburg and drive east on I-90, or a place in South Bend, Indiana and take two trains for a 3-hour trip in and another on the way out.

I know you said you were in town for the weekend, so I don't know whether you'll even need this info when you get it, but I hope I did well to at least try to help.

Old 08-10-2014, 04:49 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,919,106 times
OHare is one of the most accessible points in the region, after downtown Chicago. How long a commute? Driving or the train?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs