Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 03:16 PM

3 posts, read 3,548 times

Advertisements

Hi. My husband and I (late 30s/ early 40s) are thinking about moving to Naperville (from NYC). His job is in western Il and I am hoping to find work in Chicago. We do not have (and do not plan to have) children. Will we be total outsiders in Naperville? Are there other places you would recommend that aren't too far from Chicago (less than 45 mins by train) and not too much farther east where we might fit in better? Are there any other childless couples in the suburbs?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 04:38 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times
Generally Naperville does have LOTS of families with school aged children but as it truly is among the LARGEST and most well developed towns in the region it is an excellent choice for folks without kids.

The neighbors nearest the core of downtown Naperville will give the best access to the various resturants and nighspots that serve a more "grown up" crowd than the various subdivsions in the southern reaches of Naperville...

I assume work is in a "western suburb" -- if work is truly in"western Illinois", understood to be the area closer to the Mississippi River or nearer to Macomb, home of Western Illinois University, that would be too far of a commute...

Old 05-07-2014, 07:40 AM

3 posts, read 3,548 times
Thanks! I feel better about Naperville now. Husband will be working in Peru (which i belive is pretty far west)

Old 05-07-2014, 08:05 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times
WOW, Peru? That is going to be a HAUL for a DAILY commute. I hope they'll allow him to work from home, especially when weather is bad -- that could literally be a dangerous distance... That is nearly 80 miles via the experessways...

Old 05-07-2014, 08:07 AM

33 posts, read 87,285 times
From a commuting standpoint, Naperville to Peru will be really rough. There's no direct route there, as Naperville is way north of I-80 and just getting to I-80 will take a while.

While it would still be long, if you are looking to live in the Chicago metro area, it might be better to look at Joliet or New Lenox, which are along I-80 and will take much less time to commute to Peru. Either of those would be a longer commute to downtown than Naperville, so it's tough to balance trade-offs until you know where you are working. A lot of employers in the Chicago area are not in downtown, but rather are around Oak Brook, Northbrook/Deerfield, or in the Cumberland area by O'Hare airport.

My advice would be to rent in or around Joliet or New Lenox and wait to see where you end up getting a job before buying.

Old 05-07-2014, 09:52 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,600,459 times
NewToILL, to add to what chet and elanmorin25 have said, you cannot really look at google maps to get an accurate portrayal of what the commute will be like.

Right now, it states the commute is 1.5 hours and it's mid-morning. If we're talking rush hour, count on 1.75 - 2 hours. If it rains, you're looking at 2.25 - 2.5 hours. And if it snows, add time to that.

I've spent the past few years with a commute of 50 minutes on a good day. People think I'm nuts, but I always say I don't mind driving. Still, anything beyond 50 minutes and I'm jumping out of my skin, and a commute more than 50 minutes happens quite often, so I understand where they're coming from.

By the way, it's not only weather that impacts the commute time. If there's an accident to the side of the road not even blocking traffic, or just a cop car sitting there, everyone has to slow down to look at it. This is called a gaper's block here, and they happen quite often.

Between gas prices and an unbearable commute, I don't see how long your husband is going to be able to do this.

Old 05-07-2014, 10:20 AM

Yorkville might be a good compromise.

Old 05-07-2014, 10:25 AM

223 posts, read 662,228 times
Oh my gosh - I'd get closer yet to Peru if I were you. Have you considered LaSalle/Peru? How about Ottawa?

Old 05-07-2014, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doglover5 View Post
Oh my gosh - I'd get closer yet to Peru if I were you. Have you considered LaSalle/Peru? How about Ottawa?
That would resolve her husbands commute, but since she's planning on working in Chicago it would mean she gets the nightmare commute.

Old 05-07-2014, 11:08 AM

3,763 posts, read 6,708,082 times
As others have mentioned Naperville to Peru is quite a drive. It would take roughly 1 hour and 20 minutes without traffic. If you add in traffic and weather, especially in the winter....well good luck! If you are looking for a compromise I guess you could look into the Yorkville/Plano/Oswego area or maybe check out Minooka/Channahon/Morris. They would probably cut your drive to Peru down to 45 minutes.

Both areas are great for families and non families although your buck will probably go further in the Yorkville area.

If you are in need of some assistance from a realtor please let me know I would be happy to recommend one for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs