Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 04:11 PM

37 posts, read 45,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Out of curiosity, what town is this happening in? It's fine if you don't want to answer.

Is it a condo complex? Or are you in a single-family home with a shared driveway and neighborhood HOA?
Lockout kid, i am located near Hainsville area. Yes its a single family home with a shared driveway and yes we do have a neighborhood HOA. Its a very quiet and calm housing community .To be very honest , the problem i am facing, i havent seen it with any other residents in whole community, since everyone keeps their cars in their designated driveways and garages and never seen anyone blocking anyones way in or out. I dont know if HOA can do anything about it or not. But this is a constant frustration for me as that guy always cover my driveway and blocks the driveway as if he also owns my driveway . All requests have been completely ignored. Even this winter night, when he blocked my driveway, i had to park my car at my nearest friend and had to stay their whole night, since this neighbor never responded to door bells, knocking at door. I wish if this was a rented place, i would have just cancelled my lease, paid extra penalties and would have gone from this place once and for all. I am just stuck here, since we now own it and all was paid at closing. I simply cant believe what kind of person he is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2014, 04:24 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,918,628 times
Have you read your HOA charter (which you should have gotten at or before closing)?

Old 05-16-2014, 04:45 PM

Yes we read it before closing . It clearly states not to block driveways in such a way that can interfere with anyone having access to their driveways and also on street which is a fire lane. Fire lane street is the one where its prohibited to park any time of day and night. No one parks there except this guy and thus block our access. Sometimes his friends come around 5 pm till next day. It happens at least 4 days in a week. So after 5 i am stuck at home. Hope this gives a clear picture of the problem i am having. Police sometimes patrol at night and i saw 1 time, he was ticketed. But that didn't change anything. I absolutely don't mind if he parks in front of his door or garage even if hes on fire lane where it doesn't block my car , since then it will be HOA and fire department problem . Dont know what HOA is going to do. I think he is renting the house, i was told by my other neighbor , but he wasn't sure since he doens't talk to this guy.

Old 05-16-2014, 05:01 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,539,979 times
Moppy, I hate to say this, and I understand you don't want a problem, but the reason it keeps happening is because you're allowing it to happen. Saying you cannot go anywhere past 5pm, going to a friend's house to sleep, etc., are examples of you allowing this to happen. The only way this will stop is when you consistently - and I mean every time - have their cars towed when they're blocking your driveway. If he starts yelling, you don't need to engage him, just go in your house. Eventually they'll get tired of having to go retrieve their car, not to mention get tired of paying to get it back, and they'll stop doing this. As it is, you're sending mixed messages. Sometimes it's okay, sometimes not. I'm not criticizing you, I understand why, but it's time to dig in your heels and take back your driveway.

Maybe to get the ball rolling, take your police department up on their offer to speak to him, and ask them to tell him that in the future the car will be towed every time it's blocking your driveway. That alone could be enough to get him to stop.

Old 05-16-2014, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Moppy, I hate to say this, and I understand you don't want a problem, but the reason it keeps happening is because you're allowing it to happen. Saying you cannot go anywhere past 5pm, going to a friend's house to sleep, etc., are examples of you allowing this to happen. The only way this will stop is when you consistently - and I mean every time - have their cars towed when they're blocking your driveway. If he starts yelling, you don't need to engage him, just go in your house. Eventually they'll get tired of having to go retrieve their car, not to mention get tired of paying to get it back, and they'll stop doing this. As it is, you're sending mixed messages. Sometimes it's okay, sometimes not. I'm not criticizing you, I understand why, but it's time to dig in your heels and take back your driveway.

Maybe to get the ball rolling, take your police department up on their offer to speak to him, and ask them to tell him that in the future the car will be towed every time it's blocking your driveway. That alone could be enough to get him to stop.
Mpowering you are absolutely right. All this has happened in past and i am not going to let this happen anymore. Being nice doesn't work all the time, though it works most of the time. Common sense is not common for some people. I have decided that if he does it again, its going to involve tow truck as well as police . I will ignore his behavior and if he becomes violent or abuses me or get physical for no reason, its again going to involve police. Hope it will clarify his misunderstanding.

Old 05-16-2014, 07:38 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,918,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moppy1 View Post
Yes we read it before closing . It clearly states not to block driveways in such a way that can interfere with anyone having access to their driveways and also on street which is a fire lane.
Your HOA rules probably specify a consequence, like a fine, if the person violates the rules. They should also know whether he's a renter or not. If he's a renter, any fine would go to the person who owns the home ...
and the owner would not be happy about it.

Quote:
So after 5 i am stuck at home. Hope this gives a clear picture of the problem i am having. Police sometimes patrol at night and i saw 1 time, he was ticketed. But that didn't change anything. ... Dont know what HOA is going to do. I think he is renting the house, i was told by my other neighbor , but he wasn't sure since he doens't talk to this guy.
If it were me, I absolutely wouldn't put up with anyone whose behavior made me stay in my home after 5pm. I would make myself a pest at the HOA, call the police, get him towed as often as the opportunity came up. You might want to make an appointment with the lawyer who helped you buy your house and get his/her input on the issue. The HOA isn't going to do anything unless you bug them; it's the squeaky wheel that gets the grease. And if you don't take vigorous action, you're making yourself a victim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs