Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 09:13 AM

223 posts, read 658,494 times

Advertisements

We're considering a move to LaGrange. My husband and I both work downtown, and we have a small child. What's it like living there? We value a place that has an urban feel to it, diversity, nice outdoor areas, friendly neighbors, etc. Any positives or negatives to living in LaGrange? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2007, 10:04 AM

356 posts, read 536,594 times
Beautiful community with solid midwestern values and a village feel to it. I wouldnt call it urban I'd call it vintage suburb just like Riverside, Elmhurst, Hinsdale, Glen Ellyn. If you want more urban consider Oak Park River Forest.

Old 12-12-2007, 11:11 AM

18 posts, read 87,083 times
I concur with Windy City. I don't live in LaGrange, but have lived around it all my life. It is a beautiful suburb with a quality government and school systems. It has good access to Metra (the railroad line) for the folks who work downtown. I agree it's not urban, it's an older suburb with easy access to the city. It has several fine restaurants and a brand new library.

Old 12-12-2007, 11:38 AM

28 posts, read 96,130 times
Take a look at Lemont. If what you like about LaGrange are the big victorian homes, try Lemont. Much better value for your money. Great schools, small town atmosphere, Metra station and great expressway access via I55 and I355. On my street there is a beautiful new victorian (built 2006) on the market for way below the appraisal. From our street (Walter) you can walk to Metra, walk to the library and communtity park with swim, tennis and gymnasium, walk to shopping and restaurants, and be on the I-355 in 3 minutes. Lemont would be a great choice and there is real value to be had in the housing stock.

Old 12-12-2007, 11:57 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,467,731 times
You'll be far farther from the city in Lemont. I love LaGrange, Lemont is more so so imo. True, better house for the money in Lemont, but if you're looking for something like LaGrange, you'd probably be pretty disappointed with Lemont.

Old 12-12-2007, 01:04 PM

28 posts, read 96,130 times
I agree LaGrange has better name recognition, but I think Lemont is a hidden gem. As I have never lived in LaGrange, I have no personal knowledge of it being good bad or indifferent. We moved to the Chicagoland area 5 years ago and found that the same suburbs were always recommended to us. It seemed like there was a canned list of where to send newcomers. We found Lemont after visiting many areas and interviewing schools and Lemont beat them all hands down, especially on the schools part. I just want people to know there are other areas and to check them out. You will be pleasantly surprised.

RHP, if you have any questions about Lemont, you can email me personally by clicking on my name at the top of the post. Good Luck in your home search.

Old 12-12-2007, 01:16 PM

1,016 posts, read 4,528,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60439 View Post
I agree LaGrange has better name recognition, but I think Lemont is a hidden gem. As I have never lived in LaGrange, I have no personal knowledge of it being good bad or indifferent. We moved to the Chicagoland area 5 years ago and found that the same suburbs were always recommended to us. It seemed like there was a canned list of where to send newcomers. We found Lemont after visiting many areas and interviewing schools and Lemont beat them all hands down, especially on the schools part. I just want people to know there are other areas and to check them out. You will be pleasantly surprised.

RHP, if you have any questions about Lemont, you can email me personally by clicking on my name at the top of the post. Good Luck in your home search.
I agree that Lemont is a really pretty suburb, and one that doesn't get mentioned enough. LaGrange is nice too, you can't go wrong with either one.

Old 12-12-2007, 01:27 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,467,731 times
Yes, but if they are both working downtown, LaGrange makes a lot more sense.

Old 12-12-2007, 08:04 PM

223 posts, read 658,494 times
Thanks for all this feedback, everyone. Very helpful. If you think of anything else pertinent, I'd love to know.

BTW, Lemont sounds charming, but as someone pointed out, it would be too far from the city for my husband and me since we work downtown. thanks!

Old 12-12-2007, 10:09 PM

216 posts, read 720,704 times
LaGrange is one of my favorite towns and seems to have what many families want in a suburb. I don't live there, but looked for homes at one time there, and would have moved there had I found the right home at the right time. There are other comparable suburbs on the west train lines like Elmhurst, Glen Ellyn, and Wheaton, but LaGrange has a comfortable feeling that makes it unique. Best of Luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs