Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 07:25 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,082,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
Interesting claim. So bullying is more likely to happen in wealthy areas w/ no diversity(?) By chance do you have any literature/citations to back up that assertion?

It is unfortunate that frequently special needs kids are often targets for bullying. Though I'm not sure I would generalize (via your claims) based on your daughter's experience. It's definitely not fun- a close family friend w/ two children in the spectrum had some hard to swallow stories about being constantly harassed for being 'different' at one of their previous schools. Heartbreaking.
Studies have shown that bullies tend to targer those who are different from their peers. In schools with no diversity, it's more likely for a kid to get bullied because since so most of the kids from the same background, a kid who is different from most of their peers have a higher chance of being bullied.

For some reason, some of the kids who have been gave my daughter a hard time, have an IEP with similar accommodations as her, which I find strange. I don't why she was being bullied, maybe because nobody from our family, at least in my generation grew up in a very different area from the North Shore? I have found many parents have been in the North Shore region all of their lives. Or maybe because she did not do well in school? I don't necessarilly think it was all because of her disability, but having issues socially with her peers and especially her bad experiences in high school with the IEP services. Anyway, she's not there anymore, so as long as she's happy, that's fine with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2015, 10:37 AM

694 posts, read 2,015,838 times
Back to Deerfield vs. Northbrook:

Schools- Similar competitive environment.

Dangers- The Milwaukee North line goes through both towns and the kids are drawn to the tracks. I don't know if they still do...but many kids coming home from Deerfield HS would "walk the tracks". Not sure about GBN, but DHS has a long standing policy of no bus service if you live within 1.5 miles of the school....thus the kids and the train tracks.

Downtown areas- A previous poster claimed Deerfield didn't have a "downtown area"---- I say- "Who you crappin'?" Deerfield has a great downtown area----walkable, bike-able, etc. etc. The downtown area has Jewett park as a centerpiece with many options to relax or play and abuts the library and community center. Walk to restaurants, bars, the bakery etc. etc. etc. Back in the late 1990's the town leaders decided to go upscale and eliminate the downtown "Deerfield Commons" shopping center with a Whole Foods (Whole Paycheck) and a Barnes and Noble...which anchor the new town square. It looks nice aesthetically at least. Northbrook's downtown is older and less vitalized. A problem is the center of the downtown is on Shermer rd which does not have an underpass for the Milwaukee North line and is often backed up with traffic during the day. Also the downtown area also is older and not as upscale as Deerfield. The main shopping area which features a Sunset Foods as an anchor just feels "old" compared to Deerfield. The main downtown park in Northbrook is a fraction of the size of Deerfield Jewett park.

Overall shopping- Deerfield is closer to the "action". It's quicker to reach "Northbrook Court" from Deerfield than it is Northbrook. Deerfield also has Deerbrook Mall while Northrbook has a shopping strip mall at Willow/Pfingsten.

Parks/Green Space- Deerfield is connected to both Riverwoods to the west and Bannockburn to the north---so there is just more green space in Deerfield. A true gem is "Ryerson Woods" conservation area. Deerfield has Maplewood park, Mitchell Park and lots of other green space. In fact, a large forest preserve connects Deerfield High School via foot paths.

Vibe- For the 1980's vibe---check out Ferris Buehlers day off which was filmed in and around Northbrook and Deerfield. In fact, many scenes were filmed at Glenbrook North High School. Today, unfortunately, the competitive high stress atmosphere of the 1980's has only gotten worse in Deerfield and Northbrook.

Old 09-08-2015, 07:08 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,249,331 times
One of the main selling points for me was
the nearby amenities and definitely the great parks/green space in DF.
Perhaps a bit boring if you are used to a more urban
feel, but great for families nonetheless.

I still don't buy the ´competetive high stress argument'
about many north shore communities. It's only an issue
if you buy into that rubbish. Will power, people(!) There are
plenty of families who feel exactly this way- they beat to
their own drum.

Cheers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs