Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2014, 08:59 PM

2 posts, read 1,821 times

Advertisements

We are considering buying a teardown and building a new home near hinsdale hospital. I'm wondering if this area of hinsdale is more or less desirable than other areas.

In addition, I'm curious about a block of land near the water station. We walked by the area and noticed a tree surrounded area with one open path leading into an open grassy area. I'm guessing it is public property. Does anyone know how that space is used? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2014, 09:22 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
I don't know what you mean by the "water station" as Hinsdale recieves water from Lake Michigan. There is a large field behind the Humane Society that is also adjacent to Hinsdale's Public Works department. It is not a park.

As to the question of "desirability" the degree to which one should consider this is largely a function of what one is looking for -- like every part of Hinsdale there are excellent schools, lovely parks, conveneient access to the train via one of three Metra stops, walkable destinations both in the core of town as well as nice retail near Ogden & County Line Rd. One need only look at prices for the massive estates with multi-million price tags in the SE portion of town to realize that the NE section of town is not the "most costly" but the incidence of ambulances pulling up to the hospital is low and this is certsinly not a factor in dissuading folks from buying a new or existing home near by...

Old 05-25-2014, 10:07 PM

2 posts, read 1,821 times
Yes, that is the land I'm curious about. A resident told us the building to the south was a water station. He likely meant Public Works. Regardless, still wondering what the land is used for. Anyone?

Regarding my question of desirability. Yes, it is, somewhat, pertaining to the noise level. I know the proximity to train and downtown is a big draw. But for resale purposes, I'm curious if folks try to avoid living so close to the hospital, police and fire departments (similar to the way they try to avoid living too close to Ogden, 83 or 294).

Old 05-26-2014, 07:20 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
The police and fire stations generate nearly no noise, one of my friends owned a historic home directly north of the police / fire station. It sold for millions. Although Hinsdale Hosptial has an emergancy room it is is more likely that patients come in with mom after they've stepped on broken glass or tried to catch a fastball with their lip. More serious trauma situations usually head to Good Samaritan in Downers Grove (and their much larger campus is easier to access to from the tollways...

The open space behind the human society is mostly used by volunteers to give adoptable pets exercise and ensure they are well behaved on-leash. The Human Society itself is housed in a modern building with good sound proofing. Nothing to worry about there.

You are correct that folks that can afford a quieter spot will often prefer something that does not front the railine, Rt 83, Ogden or 294 but the sales record also clearly show that these roadways are not enough to create "give away pricing" and many homes have changed hands adjacent to these things with just a modest discount relative to quieter neighbors. Similarly the positives of good schools, lovely parks and other amenities far outweigh any slight negative associated with a mostly quiet community hospital...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs