Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 07:44 AM

47 posts, read 81,255 times

Advertisements

Greeting! We're looking for a new home in the suburbs. My husband is a light sleeper so we're careful of moving too close to Ohare. Is there a map that clearly shows degree of airplane noise in different areas, for example, south part of Mount Prospect, north part of Elmhurst, etc.? We've looked through various O'hare and noise websites but haven't yet found map that clearly shows areas, or even a list of specific communities affected by Ohare noise.

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2014, 10:35 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,339,930 times
The data is availble, looks like they have not made new maps in a while -- Nosie-Related Links

Old 06-07-2014, 10:39 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,598,739 times
Chet, I see the copyright date at the bottom of the page as being 2014, so doesn't that indicate it's updated?

I ask because I know they changed the patterns on incoming flights and want to be sure the o.p. is looking at the most current information.

Old 06-07-2014, 12:35 PM

Default Yes, the site does look they do have current data...

...I think part of the previous settlements required remote monitor data to be collected and published. The site links to data from January of this year, which probably reflects relatively current air traffic patterns, but for what ever reason the site does not have current maps.

Old 06-07-2014, 01:10 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,598,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
...I think part of the previous settlements required remote monitor data to be collected and published. The site links to data from January of this year, which probably reflects relatively current air traffic patterns, but for what ever reason the site does not have current maps.
Got it. Thanks!

Old 06-07-2014, 09:10 PM

47 posts, read 81,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
The data is availble, looks like they have not made new maps in a while -- Nosie-Related Links
Thanks folks really appreciate it!

Old 06-11-2014, 03:01 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,402,578 times
If you have the choice, don't take your chances and don't choose a suburbs or part of the city close to O'hare. I can't believe that there's now a MOVEMENT of people who stupidly chose to move RIGHT NEXT TO ONE OF THE BUSIEST AIRPORTS IN THE WORLD, and then complain about the noise. Move to south Oak Park or Addison, maybe even Lombard. May I also ask why you seem to want to live close to O'hare? Do you have a job nearby? The west suburbs are nice and so are the north, the northwest ones close to O'hare aren't necessary really unless there's a reason. That's why I'm asking. Just curious.

Old 06-13-2014, 11:04 AM

6 posts, read 8,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
If you have the choice, don't take your chances and don't choose a suburbs or part of the city close to O'hare. I can't believe that there's now a MOVEMENT of people who stupidly chose to move RIGHT NEXT TO ONE OF THE BUSIEST AIRPORTS IN THE WORLD, and then complain about the noise. Move to south Oak Park or Addison, maybe even Lombard. May I also ask why you seem to want to live close to O'hare? Do you have a job nearby? The west suburbs are nice and so are the north, the northwest ones close to O'hare aren't necessary really unless there's a reason. That's why I'm asking. Just curious.
Sure, thanks for asking. We've heard great things about Elmhurst, and also have friends who have moved to Arlington Heights and Palatine, have heard good things about Mann school in Oak Park, and like the Glen Ellyn and Wheaton area...so we're not clear on which of those areas may be at risk for airplane noise; for example, is Elmhurst near North Ave in the clear?

We're also looking in Northern suburbs too but as you may know, you can get a bit more for your money moving a little west; and, there's not a ton of good inventory in the northern burbs right now from what we've seen.

We need access to Oak Park and we need access to downtown Chicago, looking for non-CPS schools, great home and community for under $750k that will maintain it's value relatively well if market has another downturn.

Looking forward to your thoughts.

Old 06-13-2014, 11:26 AM

For a budget that goes up to $750K you can certainly afford towns that have no real impact of airport noise. Look at towns along the BNSF from LaGrange through Clarendon Hills for best Metra service to Loop, easy drive to Oak Park, highest performing schools ...

Old 06-14-2014, 02:20 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,402,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by entr333 View Post
Sure, thanks for asking. We've heard great things about Elmhurst, and also have friends who have moved to Arlington Heights and Palatine, have heard good things about Mann school in Oak Park, and like the Glen Ellyn and Wheaton area...so we're not clear on which of those areas may be at risk for airplane noise; for example, is Elmhurst near North Ave in the clear?

We're also looking in Northern suburbs too but as you may know, you can get a bit more for your money moving a little west; and, there's not a ton of good inventory in the northern burbs right now from what we've seen.

We need access to Oak Park and we need access to downtown Chicago, looking for non-CPS schools, great home and community for under $750k that will maintain it's value relatively well if market has another downturn.

Looking forward to your thoughts.

All of those suburbs you mentioned should be fine. Elmhurst right by North Ave is probably fine but further south by St Charles Rd would probably be even better.

The northern suburbs tend to be much more upscale and expensive than the west, at least the ones along or near Lake Michigan. The western suburbs are great because they have a wide variety of houses, prices, and most of them are safe.

You're also in luck, Elmhurst does have a Metra station (local metropolitan train service) , which perfectly fits your needs as it has a stop at not only Oak Park , but also to downtown Chicago. I can definitely say you'll want to take that train, because that would be 20x better than driving in and out of Oak Park every single day with I'm sure the worst traffic you'd ever experience.

Well Oak Park is also a nice suburb, right next to city, and It sounds like it's where you need to be. The south part should be immune to bad jet noises, and it I believe has good public schools (not sure), but it's DEFINITELY not as bad as CPS. I can't really think of any good city neighborhoods that would fit your needs and be "safe".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs