Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2007, 11:56 AM

2 posts, read 5,158 times

Advertisements

We are hoping to move back to the chicago area soon and are concentrating on the western suburbs - I'm skeptical of the prices in Naperville - even in a buyers' market. Plainfield looks tempting online as does North Aurora, St. Charles, etc. Used to be that bolingbrook and downers grove were those to stay away from but maybe that's changed over the last few years.

I prefer new construction to old primarily because of the newness factor of the home itself but I also think people tend to be more outgoing in a new development where no one really knows anyone else but I wouldn't be opposed to an older, well kept neighborhood.

We have two small children - 4 and 2 years and will be looking for good quality daycare that is close by - any good / or bad - daycare centers I need to know about? (also, is it hard to find a spot in daycare out there? How expensive is it?)

Taxes are a concern as they seem to be really high - what burbs are the lowest?

I like the feel of being out 'in the country' a bit but I like the amenities of developments that have running trails, pools, soccer and baseball, etc.

Tell me the perfect place to live - I'm sure a lot has changed in the 9 years since we've been gone! And with a lot of housing on the market, there so much to chose from it's almost overwhelming!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2007, 12:25 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,608,720 times
No one can help you without an idea of your price range.

Old 12-15-2007, 12:54 PM

1,016 posts, read 4,540,967 times
Also, tell us what size home you are hoping to get for your price range. (beds, baths, etc.) I can tell you that Plainfield does have a lot of what you are looking for. The housing stock is mostly newer, there are a lot of clubhouse communities where you get the community pool, basketball courts, tennis courts, etc. in your subdivision, and the area seems to attract mostly young families with young children, probably because housing is a bit more affordable compared to the more established burbs. Also, Plainfield still has some open spaces, although that might change in the next 10 years as it is growing like crazy. I can't speak for the quality of the daycares as my child isn't in them, but there are many in the area. St. Charles is a great area you can't go wrong with, but tends to be pricier. I know some parts of Aurora can be shady, but I think North Aurora is nice, I'm not as familiar with that area. Maybe someone who is more familiar with that area can chime in.

Also, Downers Grove is a nice area (I don't know where you heard to stay away from that area), although if you are looking for newer housing stock Downers Grove will be a bit older, and is a bit pricier. Bolingbrook is o.k., some parts are very nice, some parts not as much.

Old 12-15-2007, 02:38 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
As Nanannie asked, we'd need to know a price range you can afford. Downers Grove, St. Charles (some areas), etc, can be very pricey.

Old 12-15-2007, 04:05 PM

356 posts, read 542,035 times
Try Mill Creek Subdivision in Batavia or Blackberry Creek Subdivision in Elburn.

Here's an example $415,000 4 br 3 1/2 bath 3 car garage

Old 12-15-2007, 04:46 PM

2 posts, read 5,158 times
Default duh...

yeah, price would help

$400-$500K is the range but more realistically 400-450 would be ideal.

s.f. - we'd like about 3000 finished square feet and a basement

4 bedrooms is the perferct amount for us and I'm big on having a separate 1/2 bath for guests

Thanks!

Old 12-15-2007, 04:56 PM

356 posts, read 542,035 times
I don't think you will find a 3000 sf home plus basement of BRAND NEW construction in your price range-- new construction in the burbs is $185 -$225 per sq ft. You might find a home built in 2000-2003 with that sq ft in your price range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs