Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2007, 02:51 PM

3 posts, read 15,050 times

Advertisements

I am a wife and mother considering moving to Chicago's North Shore. I have started to look in areas such as Deerfield, Highland Park, Wilmette, and Northbrook. I am considering the North Shore as it is closer to my job and it will allow me to raise my children in a very safe area with excellent schools.

My primary concern is that we are an African-American family and I know the North Shore does not have much diversity. I do not have to have a ton of diversity (as I happily grew up in mostly white areas), however, I do not want to subject my children to living in a racist environment. Would you consider the North Shore to be racist?

Any advice or thoughts? I would love to hear from families that currently live in the areas in which we are looking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2007, 03:12 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,179,639 times
All the cities you mentioned have had African-Americans for at least the last thirty years. This was without a lot of fuss, too. Glencoe has had black families since the 1920s and I think recently had a black mayor. I do remember that black families objected about 20 years ago to Huck Finn (and 'n-word' Jim) being taught at then-overwhelmingly white New Trier, but I consider that a silly objection. You may wanna check out Vernon Hills, too.

So, go ahead and look there. I would not consider the communities to have racist attitudes. But I've never lived on the North Shore so I'm getting all this second hand. Is the area mostly white? Yes. Will you and your kids stick out? Yes. Will this be a problem? Probably not. You seem to have experience with being conspicuous.

Old 12-17-2007, 03:57 PM

Thank you for your thoughts.

We are also considering the Western suburbs (mainly Western Springs, Hindsale, Burr Ridge, and Elmhurst). Any thoughts on these areas for an African-American family would also be helpful.

Old 12-17-2007, 08:58 PM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastgirl6 View Post
We are also considering the Western suburbs (mainly Western Springs, Hindsale, Burr Ridge, and Elmhurst). Any thoughts on these areas for an African-American family would also be helpful.
If college readiness is an important criteria for your family, take a look at US News and World Report's list of Gold and Silver Medal high schools in Illinois. There are 6 Gold Medal winners (Stevenson and 5 selective admission/magnet high schools in Chicago) and 24 Silver Medal winners.

Parts of Western Springs, Hinsdale, and Burr Ridge are within the district of Silver Medal high schools - Lyons Township North and Hinsdale Central. Elmhurst's high school did not qualify for gold, silver, or bronze, so take that into consideration.

http://www.usnews.com/directories/hi...y+/detail+less

Old 12-17-2007, 10:36 PM

677 posts, read 4,209,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Parts of Western Springs, Hinsdale, and Burr Ridge are within the district of Silver Medal high schools - Lyons Township North and Hinsdale Central. Elmhurst's high school did not qualify for gold, silver, or bronze, so take that into consideration.
Just to clarify, Lyons Township HS has two campuses, but North campus is for upperclassmen and South campus is for underclassmen, so regardless of where you live in the district your kids attend both. All of Western Springs is in LTHS's district. Also, Burr Ridge is split between LTHS and the Hinsdale HS district, and most of the Hinsdale part goes to Hinsdale Central but I think a small part goes to Hinsdale South. All of Hinsdale goes to Hinsdale Central.

Old 12-17-2007, 10:39 PM

774 posts, read 2,495,745 times
For what it's worth, at least from my perspective, the North Shore is pretty liberal and progressive when considering how much money people have around there - it's not Berkeley or even Oak Park, but probably comparable to the types of people that you'd find on the Upper East or West Sides of New York. I think most people that have problems with the North Shore are due to the lack of economic diversity as opposed to racial diversity.

Old 12-18-2007, 08:44 AM

An ideal suburb would be one with economic and racial diversity and also has excellent schools. It doesn't seem like that exists in the Chicago suburbs, but maybe I am wrong.

Old 12-18-2007, 09:34 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,179,639 times
I think it is accurate to say that the western suburbs in the Hinsdale, Western Springs, Burr Ridge area are much more politically conservative than the North Shore. They also have much less diversity and are more recently settled, meaning a newer housing stock.

Old 12-18-2007, 10:36 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastgirl6 View Post
An ideal suburb would be one with economic and racial diversity and also has excellent schools. It doesn't seem like that exists in the Chicago suburbs, but maybe I am wrong.
I think Oak Park fits that bill well, Evanston too.

Old 12-18-2007, 11:50 AM

38 posts, read 137,140 times
Default Oak Park definitely fits the bill

My kids are temporarily in a private school in OP and my daughter is one of 2 white kids in her class - 16 others are African-American and 2 are Hispanic. OP has great schools (our kids will be in public school soon) AND is definitely very racially mixed. Taxes and home prices are sky high, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs