Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2010, 11:46 PM

31 posts, read 210,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by belowground View Post
We also noticed the racial makeup of people downtown was balanced, maybe even with slightly more white people. We want a town with a balanced racial makeup, we don't want a town that's all white.

I have a friend that is from Calument City, who now lives in Munster. He told me to just stay away from the apartments on Torrence.
I would stay away from really any apartments in town (there are a couple exeptions) and anything north of 80/94 in general.

I can understand wanting to move to an area that is diverse, but please understand that the diversity that currently exists in Lansing is more than likely temporary. I hope I'm wrong, but if you've been at all familiar with the general area in the last 5-10 years, the writing is on the wall. The school system has been in decline for the last several years, and generally when a school system goes, the town follows.

Old 03-23-2010, 01:38 PM

811 posts, read 2,336,161 times
There's no question the answer is yes to this, Lansing used to be nice, as did almost all of it's south Chicago suburb towns that surround it. However, just as the others, CPS and the south side of the city has spilled into these towns. I'd get out before your house is worth much less. Sorry, it's just the truth.

Old 03-30-2010, 04:57 AM

I'd also like to add that Lansing IS doing better than it was a couple years back. Time will tell if it can stay a diverse community. The PD has recently put the clamps down on some of the problem areas and have now instituted a crime free housing program that has made a difference in a lot of the problems that moved to town over the last couple of years.

Old 04-05-2010, 11:51 PM

1 posts, read 2,339 times
I know the man who got killed behind beggars and my best friend dated the man who did it and the Lansing police did nothing about it!!! it was all over drugs!!!

Old 04-17-2010, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMILELY1232 View Post
I know the man who got killed behind beggars and my best friend dated the man who did it and the Lansing police did nothing about it!!! it was all over drugs!!!
That was hardly the case, I'll leave it at that. Untidy things happen when you associate with untidy characters.

Old 04-28-2010, 03:56 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,867,960 times
Default 1998 Values for Lansing

Per Crain's, housing values in Lansing are now at 1998 levels. Not good.

Crete is in the same boat.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:25 AM

1 posts, read 1,900 times
You know want you these things cause Black and Mexicans are taking over the white community and it's better these way cause Lansing 50 are so stupid and support white never Mexicans or black so be ready for ghetto Lansing ,IL see you in 5 years.Don't get shot my boyfriend got arrest cause they he had drugs on him and he didn't and he want to court and still had to pay a bill.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:39 AM

2,686 posts, read 7,867,960 times
Default Bad Grammar

People with bad grammar and little education taking over a community really causes it to go downhill, regardless of race.

Neenepooh,

People of this forum will be more responsive if you use proper grammar and do not refernce personal ghetto behavior on the part of your boyfriend. What are you doing with some dude with drugs who gets arrested?

Old 07-21-2010, 10:42 AM

245 posts, read 585,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by area55 View Post
I love lansing, I bought my house 6 month ago. I have great neighbors and i love
the small town feel. But i have a nagging feeling it is going the way of calumet city
south holland and lynnwood. Any oppinions?
"Going the way",OP?
What does that mean,exactly?

The South Suburbs of Chicago have all been having a rough time over the years as there is very little work down there and the homeowners that are moving are usually being replaced by renters.

If you like the area...stay.
If you don't..leave.
It's a pretty simple choice.

Old 07-21-2010, 03:31 PM

818 posts, read 2,170,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banevader View Post
"Going the way",OP?
What does that mean,exactly?

The South Suburbs of Chicago have all been having a rough time over the years as there is very little work down there and the homeowners that are moving are usually being replaced by renters.

If you like the area...stay.
If you don't..leave.
It's a pretty simple choice.
I don't think it is that simple of a choice for anyone. Places change, they undergo trends and changes that make them more or less desirable of a place to live. Just ask anyone who lived on the West Side of Chicago in the 1950s. Liking the Garfield Park of 1960 had pretty much nothing to do with liking the Garfield Park of 1975. If an area is changing for the worse, it is the concern of any homeowner or potential homeowner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs