Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 07:41 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,780,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post
Thanks, I'm gonna check this out!
Did you go? If so, how was it?

I just saw this post now, so it was out of the question for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 08:12 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,945,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Did you go? If so, how was it?

I just saw this post now, so it was out of the question for me.
Yeah, it was pretty cool. Not the most in depth talk, but plenty of cool period photos. Next week, same time there is a talk about the town of Pullman.

Old 02-19-2009, 08:15 PM

After seeing the talk, I'm almost tempted to try to move to Riverside. What a fantastic town! Of course, it would only add to my already long commute.

Old 02-19-2009, 08:31 PM

The problem with Riverside is that there isn't really a nice, walkable strip of businesses. In fact, the whole town isn't very walkable compared to other towns from the same era. But it certainly is beautiful and rich with well-planned green space!

Old 02-20-2009, 10:55 AM

111 posts, read 381,260 times
Actually, it seems to me that Riverside is perfectly walkable--you can meander the streets for hours without going the same route twice. You are correct in that there is not really a lot of business--a grocery, a few restaurants and some others, so if you're looking for that, it won't be to your taste.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:45 PM

5,976 posts, read 13,115,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noid_1985 View Post
Yeah I graduated from RB some years back and some things have gone down the hill. However, RBHS is still regarded as a top 100 high school in Illinois. I think it is silly to compare a town of almost 60k (Oak Park) to a town of almost 8k (Riverside) because Riverside dosen't have the same amount of traffic, stores, restaurants, etc. like Oak Park. Oak Park is much more than a town where people live- it's a place where people from other towns come to have fun. Better comparison is Oak Park & LaGrange- Riverside is a smaller version of Hinsdale....
I disagree.

I do like all the suburbs you have mentioned.

I would say Riverside is like just the upscale historic residential part of Oak Park. I think both are similar due to their historic single family home areas and their proximity to Chicago. But yes, there is no doubt that Riverside is much quieter, due to its relative lack of entertainment. Riverside is like a small historic, almost insular feel in the middle of the western suburbs.

Riverside is more like a slightly less expensive version of River Forest.

I really do like La Grange. Hinsdale just feels too glitzy for me. The teardowns turn me off to Hinsdale. The other towns just have done much more to preserve their historical feel.

Old 02-26-2009, 11:05 AM

2nd Lecture of series tonight at the Oak Park Public Library:

Beyond Burnham - Historic Town Planning: Solon S. Beman. The Library is co-sponsoring a lecture series with Pleasant Home Foundation for the first time! Michael Shymanski AIA, president, Historic Pullman Foundation, lectures on Solon S. Beman: Town of Pullman, 1879-1880's and on. 7 pm Veterans Room, Second Floor, Main Library.

Old 02-26-2009, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnm68 View Post
Actually, it seems to me that Riverside is perfectly walkable--you can meander the streets for hours without going the same route twice. You are correct in that there is not really a lot of business--a grocery, a few restaurants and some others, so if you're looking for that, it won't be to your taste.
You could certainly take some very beautiful strolls through Riverside. But my point is that it's not really walkable in terms of being able to ditch your car to get errands done, go out for dinner, etc. Though you could certainly walk to the Metra to get to work! And you could walk to see many neighbors.

Old 02-26-2009, 12:49 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,455,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
You could certainly take some very beautiful strolls through Riverside. But my point is that it's not really walkable in terms of being able to ditch your car to get errands done, go out for dinner, etc. Though you could certainly walk to the Metra to get to work! And you could walk to see many neighbors.
We live in south Berwyn and walk to Chew Chew Cafe, Jem Cafe, and the martini bar in Riverside all the time. We like it because we can drink and then stumble home safely without driving. There's also a small grocery store in downtown Riverside. It's very walkable actually.

Old 02-26-2009, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
We live in south Berwyn and walk to Chew Chew Cafe, Jem Cafe, and the martini bar in Riverside all the time. We like it because we can drink and then stumble home safely without driving. There's also a small grocery store in downtown Riverside. It's very walkable actually.
I'd be more willing to say it were walkable if downtown Riverside had, well, just more stuff (though you are certainly more familiar with its offerings than I am). But Riverside is certainly more walkable than most suburbs. But not compared to much of Oak Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs