Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 12:49 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,341,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
All of the towns mentioned have great resale potential. Well, except Itasca.

OP, keep in mind that you are talking to people who actually live in many of the suburbs mentioned, and that influences the advice you are getting. Chet is in Clarendon Hills, which is adjacent to Hinsdale and also within the Hinsdale Central High School attendance area. I am in Glen Ellyn. Nikitakolata is in Elmhurst. I believe Holl1ngsworth is in Wheaton.

My wife and I looked at several houses in Hinsdale and didn't see the value as far as we were concerned in our price range. The cost/benefit ratio of getting a lesser house in "The #1" west suburban school district instead of just a "really good school district" didn't seem to work for us.

We are sometimes bothered by the displays of wealth and status in Glen Ellyn, but this town is a little more economically diverse and "down to earth" than Hinsdale or the North Shore. Maybe that doesn't bother you. And I don't know why it didn't bother us as much when we lived in Lincoln Park...
Yes, I'm in Wheaton. My wife and I had a similar experience last year before deciding on Wheaton. We shopped houses from Naperville to Riverwoods, and everything in-between. We were actually under contract on a D181 home in Clarendon Hills that we loved, but it didn't appraise out and we walked away. We eventually felt the cost/benefit worked best in Wheaton, so we found a great home there and have been happy since.

And re: your most recent post, what's wrong with people who work in finance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2014, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
The worst part of the mess in Ilinois is of course the corruption that keeps fattening up insiders at the expense of the rest of us "chumbalones" that can't even vote these crooks out. My greatest fear is not the direct escalation of taxes themselves but the horrible consequnces to our whole regional economy should the morons from Chicago ever use the taxation powers of Springpatch to drive out the financial markets. I kid you not, there are people in very very high powered positions that would massively and swiftly relocate the operational hardware to more tax friendly locations and the resulting loss of both revenue and talent would crater this place as surely as other midwestern cities have faced bankruptcy...
Glad I'm not the only one who realizes this. The wealthy folks who form the punching bag tax base here are also the most mobile, and when they decide enough is enough and skip town it will cripple those who can't afford to get out.

Old 07-16-2014, 01:06 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,776,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Nobody needs that kind of uncertainity hanging over the "golden years" . Who is going to willing pass up an opportunty to "get out while the leaving is good"? Frankly I have had twangs both ways, when I see a place in a low tax area and I think about what I have got into my home I consider leaving. When I consider that I would also probably "hang up the spurs" and drastically alter my income that keeps me here...
One neighbor who left was a divorced woman who "got the house", and left after her youngest kid graduated from high school. She said, "My house is BIG, and I just don't need that much money tied up in real estate any more".

Another set of neighbors just had their youngest graduate from high school, and wanted to move out to the Rockies for lifestyle reasons.

We certainly do have some neighbors that stick around after their kids graduate, and who even live here in retirement. But they are rarely in the big, super expensive homes.

Old 07-17-2014, 02:36 AM

13 posts, read 35,521 times
Quote:
All of the towns mentioned have great resale potential. Well, except Itasca.

OP, keep in mind that you are talking to people who actually live in many of the suburbs mentioned, and that influences the advice you are getting. Chet is in Clarendon Hills, which is adjacent to Hinsdale and also within the Hinsdale Central High School attendance area. I am in Glen Ellyn. Nikitakolata is in Elmhurst. I believe Holl1ngsworth is in Wheaton.

My wife and I looked at several houses in Hinsdale and didn't see the value as far as we were concerned in our price range. The cost/benefit ratio of getting a lesser house in "The #1" west suburban school district instead of just a "really good school district" didn't seem to work for us.

We are sometimes bothered by the displays of wealth and status in Glen Ellyn, but this town is a little more economically diverse and "down to earth" than Hinsdale or the North Shore. Maybe that doesn't bother you. And I don't know why it didn't bother us as much when we lived in Lincoln Park...
Thanks everyone for your honest feedback, it's appreciated.

Lookout Kid, as a resident what's your take on the negative comments on this board about Glen Ellyn? Do you find the town welcoming to new residents?

Old 07-17-2014, 06:40 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,934,805 times
A lot of people are downsizing and selling the big houses and moving into townhouses, smaller homes or condos.

Old 07-17-2014, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
A lot of people are downsizing and selling the big houses and moving into townhouses, smaller homes or condos.
People who can afford big homes can usually afford to weather the storm. The break in the clouds that has happened over the past year is probably an opportunity for many to finally "get out," and might be responsible for any glut of big homes on the market.

Old 07-17-2014, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissagrayce View Post
Thanks everyone for your honest feedback, it's appreciated.

Lookout Kid, as a resident what's your take on the negative comments on this board about Glen Ellyn? Do you find the town welcoming to new residents?
Could you give reference to some of the negative comments? The north side of Glen Ellyn, where I believe LOK resides, is one of the most charming neighborhoods in all of Chicagoland. I can't imagine what negatives could be said.

Old 07-17-2014, 08:29 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,776,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissagrayce View Post
There is one poster in particular who lived "by St. Pet's" and said they didn't make a single friend in two years, or something like that. I don't know what happened there, but we've had quite the opposite experience--and also live in "Central Glen Ellyn", though not in the immediate vicinity of St. Petronille. I've thought of going back to those old posts and offering a differing opinion, but haven't done so.

As soon as the moving truck from Chicago lifted it's ramp, we had neighbors stopping over to meet us and introduce themselves. And we got invites to neighbors' houses almost immediately, baked good dropped off, and kids stopping over to play with our kids. There are a few neighbors who keep to themselves (they are older or travel a lot for work). But for the most part, we are in a VERY social neighborhood, and if we are outside we can almost guarantee that we will have someone stopping by to chat or kids coming over to play. In fact, it can be a challenge to get rid of people if we are in a hurry to go somewhere. But we love it, and encourage the "stop by", and are usually ready with a beer or bottle of wine.

While we are not that far off the typical Glen Ellyn demographic, we aren't exactly a perfect cultural fit, and would have probably had more in common with a typical Oak Park family. We have a touch of the"aging hipster" thing going on, and lean left politically, but we have made an effort to be open-minded and non-judgmental, and have friends from various backgrounds and age groups (even some Republicans *gasp* which no one admitted to being in Chicago). And while there are certainly a lot of Glen Ellyn "boomerangs" (people that grew up here and then settle here later in life with their families), most of the people that live around us are actually from other states or elsewhere in the Chicago area. We even have a few British ex-pats within a two block radius (both married to Americans). And most of the new residents we have met are like us, and lived in the City of Chicago prior to moving here.

Old 07-17-2014, 08:39 AM

Quote:
While we are not that far off the typical Glen Ellyn demographic, we aren't exactly a perfect cultural fit, and would have probably had more in common with a typical Oak Park family. We have a bit of the"aging hipster" thing going on, and lean left politically, but we have made an effort to be open-minded and non-judgmental, and have friends from various backgrounds and age groups.
This is interesting given the stereotype that is passed around of Glen Ellyn being more "progressive" (at least for DuPage) -- which the town's history sorta backs-up. I've gotten the impression that Wheaton's "rightness" and Glen Ellyn "leftness" forms one the primary differences between the two towns, which could otherwise be described as non-identical twins.

Old 07-17-2014, 08:39 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,257,268 times
1) Commuting from North Shore to Itasca will be a burden. 45-60 minutes each way.
2) Commuting from Arlington Heights, Prospect Heights, Mt. Prospect si going to be about 25-35 minutes each way.
3) Show me how D214 (Hersey & Prospect HS) don't have enough AP classes!!
4) School quality in AH, go with D25, D23 and Hersey or Prospect HS. School quality in PH, go D23 & Hersey, Mt. Prospect, go with D57 and Prospect. There are some lovely homes SE of Prospect HS close to D57 schools
5) The western suburbs you mention are very appealing and good choices. Not sure if NW suburbs are better. Really need to explore neighborhoods, you will have some that are a bit more cookie-cutter and some that are very charming. A lot depends on location and when built.
6) Definitely would consider Glen Ellyn. Very Charming especially closer to downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs