Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 04:15 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times

Advertisements

Seems illogical -- School Board Vote Leaves Tinley Walmart Plan Looking Dead | Frankfort, IL Patch

Many other towns have WalMarts and nice schools. Sometimes folks get themselves all lathered up over nonsense...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2015, 04:17 PM

172 posts, read 316,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Seems illogical -- School Board Vote Leaves Tinley Walmart Plan Looking Dead | Frankfort, IL Patch

Many other towns have WalMarts and nice schools. Sometimes folks get themselves all lathered up over nonsense...
I agree , they are being to Militant about it. It's a 90% white town and I think we have a fair amount of ppl not fans of integration...

Old 08-17-2015, 09:44 PM

119 posts, read 299,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drss01 View Post
I agree , they are being to Militant about it. It's a 90% white town and I think we have a fair amount of ppl not fans of integration...
Frankfort is more like an 85% white town these days. And frankfort will likely see that percent fall further. New Lenox and Mokena are still 90% white towns. And have lagging housing markets in comparison to Frankfort. I would say that newly built up suburbs that are 90% plus white towns are now a niche market. As in they do not appeal to the entire home buying demographic at that particular price point. Naperville is now a 69% white town for example.

Last edited by gregbuck; 08-17-2015 at 10:04 PM..

Old 08-18-2015, 12:56 AM

10 posts, read 22,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbuck View Post
Frankfort is more like an 85% white town these days. And frankfort will likely see that percent fall further. New Lenox and Mokena are still 90% white towns. And have lagging housing markets in comparison to Frankfort. I would say that newly built up suburbs that are 90% plus white towns are now a niche market. As in they do not appeal to the entire home buying demographic at that particular price point. Naperville is now a 69% white town for example.
The Naperville comparison falls a little flat. It's 69% white, but it's not because there is some huge black influx. Naperville is over 17% Asian. The black population in Naperville is about 4%. Four percent, in a city of about 145,000. The Hispanic population in Naperville is almost 7% and more likely to grow than the black population.

Old 08-18-2015, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naper_Tiger View Post
The Naperville comparison falls a little flat. It's 69% white, but it's not because there is some huge black influx. Naperville is over 17% Asian. The black population in Naperville is about 4%. Four percent, in a city of about 145,000. The Hispanic population in Naperville is almost 7% and more likely to grow than the black population.

Naperville's black and asian populations are fairly representative of the racial demographics of that particular region. Given Naperville's median household income and price point. Neighboring bolingbrook has a 20% black population with a median houshold income of $76,000. To put that more in line with Frankfort. Neighboring Matteson has a 78% black population with a median household income of $69,075. Not to mention nearby Olympia Fields, Flossmoor, Homewood, Crete, etc. All with significant or majority middle class black populations.

And on average the 6% population of blacks living in Frankfort earn substantially more than the white residents. And own more expensive homes on average. The median home value of a white frankfort household is $295,544. And the median home value for a black frankfort household is $468,036. A significant difference. Which is why I mentioned Frankfort's decline from being a 90% plus white town. To being a 85% white town as a factor in Frankfort being a little better off than neighboring new lenox, mokena, and manhatten. Which do not appeal to the entire home buying demographic at their particular price points. Although they have a fairly solid niche in the market being 90% plus white towns. Being a niche, even a fairly solid niche within a market still has market limitations. The closure of lincoln-way north may have been an outcome of one of those limitations of being a market niche. Not able to capture the prosperity of full market participation. Coming up short at the end.

Last edited by gregbuck; 08-18-2015 at 03:32 AM..

Old 08-19-2015, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naper_Tiger View Post

Same in frankfort. I just checked , frankfort is 86% white, black population 6%. Other 8% is Asian/Hispanic.

Old 08-19-2015, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbuck View Post
Naperville's black and asian populations are fairly representative of the racial demographics of that particular region. Given Naperville's median household income and price point. Neighboring bolingbrook has a 20% black population with a median houshold income of $76,000. To put that more in line with Frankfort. Neighboring Matteson has a 78% black population with a median household income of $69,075. Not to mention nearby Olympia Fields, Flossmoor, Homewood, Crete, etc. All with significant or majority middle class black populations.

And on average the 6% population of blacks living in Frankfort earn substantially more than the white residents. And own more expensive homes on average. The median home value of a white frankfort household is $295,544. And the median home value for a black frankfort household is $468,036. A significant difference. Which is why I mentioned Frankfort's decline from being a 90% plus white town. To being a 85% white town as a factor in Frankfort being a little better off than neighboring new lenox, mokena, and manhatten. Which do not appeal to the entire home buying demographic at their particular price points. Although they have a fairly solid niche in the market being 90% plus white towns. Being a niche, even a fairly solid niche within a market still has market limitations. The closure of lincoln-way north may have been an outcome of one of those limitations of being a market niche. Not able to capture the prosperity of full market participation. Coming up short at the end.
Are u including unincorporated frankfort square in your numbers? That will skew numbers

Old 08-20-2015, 03:17 PM

2,156 posts, read 5,491,199 times
The interesting thing about Frankfort (which was already posted) was the fact that the Black population there on average is wealthier and lives in more expensive homes than the remaining residents. I think this also speaks to the fact that in the south and southwest suburbs, it is primarily racial prejudices/preferences (whatever one wants to call it) that keeps suburbs east of 57 overwhelmingly Black and suburbs west of 57 overwhelmingly White. It is not as much of a price barrier. Yes, housing in Frankfort are more expensive than in Matteson for the same type of home but there are many people in Matteson whom could easily afford to live in Frankfort but choose not to for many reasons.

One would think that Mokena and Orland Park would have a higher or at least same percentage Black population than Frankfort given the price of entry for a new home being slightly lower in those areas. Like I said, this is interesting..

Old 08-20-2015, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
The interesting thing about Frankfort (which was already posted) was the fact that the Black population there on average is wealthier and lives in more expensive homes than the remaining residents. I think this also speaks to the fact that in the south and southwest suburbs, it is primarily racial prejudices/preferences (whatever one wants to call it) that keeps suburbs east of 57 overwhelmingly Black and suburbs west of 57 overwhelmingly White. It is not as much of a price barrier. Yes, housing in Frankfort are more expensive than in Matteson for the same type of home but there are many people in Matteson whom could easily afford to live in Frankfort but choose not to for many reasons.

One would think that Mokena and Orland Park would have a higher or at least same percentage Black population than Frankfort given the price of entry for a new home being slightly lower in those areas. Like I said, this is interesting..
Well, in flossmoor up until the housing market collapsed. Throughout the 1990's and into the mid 2000's. The black flossmoor residents who were mostly moving in on average earned significantly more than their white flossmoor resident peers. And it was quite impressive to see how the majority of the expensive newer built homes in flossmoor were being mostly purchased or custom built by blacks. Black home buyers were also purchasing a disproportionate percentage of the upscale housing in the more established neighborhoods of flossmoor. This eventually turned out not to be a good thing for flossmoor's real estate market. And I feel contributed to the extremely high foreclosure rates and the unusually steep collapse of flossmoor's higher end housing market. In the more recent years in flossmoor that has completely leveled out. And white flossmoor residents on average now earn slightly more than black flossmoor residents. And also whites on average now own slightly more expensive homes in flossmoor. Now that home prices have fallen so steeply in flossmoor. You are starting to see white home buyers play a more substantial role in flossmoor's housing market once again.

Last edited by gregbuck; 08-20-2015 at 10:32 PM..

Old 08-20-2015, 10:16 PM

224 posts, read 310,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post

Time will tell. I think the reason is because of the schools. Some Black parents, not all of course, do not want to send their children to schools where they would be one of the only Blacks in the class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs