Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-13-2015, 08:26 PM
 
119 posts, read 299,926 times
Reputation: 81

Advertisements

drss01, you are totally comparing apples to oranges. Frankfort is a mostly newly built up community. Albeit a very nice one. I actually like Frankfort a lot. If I had to compare Frankfort to another area. I would say that frankfort is on par with naperville in a lot of ways in my opinion. I would compare flossmoor more to established west suburban communities like elmhurst or glen ellyn. Flossmoor has a lot of charm. A small downtown area with a metra stop. Flossmoor definitely lacks nearby retail shopping. But that may change by the end of the year with the Chicagoland Outlet Mall breaking ground in country club hills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-13-2015, 08:42 PM
 
Location: Park Forest
48 posts, read 102,151 times
Reputation: 25
There's a new Meijer being built in Flossmoor; I think it's supposed to open in 2016.

I live in nearby Park Forest, and the retail in the general vicinity certainly isn't on par with the Old Orchard area I shopped at when I lived in Rogers Park, but there's still plenty of stuff within a relatively short drive, like Matteson, Homewood, Tinley, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2015, 09:04 PM
 
172 posts, read 316,146 times
Reputation: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbuck View Post
drss01, you are totally comparing apples to oranges. Frankfort is a mostly newly built up community. Albeit a very nice one. I actually like Frankfort a lot. If I had to compare Frankfort to another area. I would say that frankfort is on par with naperville in a lot of ways in my opinion. I would compare flossmoor more to established west suburban communities like elmhurst or glen ellyn. Flossmoor has a lot of charm. A small downtown area with a metra stop. Flossmoor definitely lacks nearby retail shopping. But that may change by the end of the year with the Chicagoland Outlet Mall breaking ground in country club hills.
Do u know anything about that outlet mall? I'm very skeptical that it will actually happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2015, 09:26 PM
 
119 posts, read 299,926 times
Reputation: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by drss01 View Post
Do u know anything about that outlet mall? I'm very skeptical that it will actually happen.
I'm not sure. I've heard about it twice in the past few weeks. The signage off of i-57 of the upcoming Chicagoland Outlet Mall appears to have been recently upgraded. So I would say probably. A paper also recently ran a snippet on the upcoming project. http://www.daily-journal.com/news/lo...8703827ea.html

Last edited by gregbuck; 01-13-2015 at 09:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2015, 07:21 AM
 
11,975 posts, read 31,786,761 times
Reputation: 4644
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbuck View Post
I would compare flossmoor more to established west suburban communities like elmhurst or glen ellyn.
But it's a lot smaller! Flossmoor only has about 9,000 residents (Elmhurst is 42,000 and Glen Ellyn is 27,000). So in that regard, maybe it is more similar to Hinsdale. The vintage housing stock is certainly nice, and probably on par with what you would find in many north shore communities. Flossmoor is quite beautiful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2015, 11:12 PM
 
10,029 posts, read 10,891,666 times
Reputation: 5946
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
C'mon urza, you can read between the lines.

Compare and contrast Riverdale, Dolton, Harvey, Hazel Crest, Glenwood, Lansing and Homewood from 1970 until now. I sometimes wonder if the insanely high property tax in Flossmoor is a last ditch effort to stem the tide. It may just be enough to keep Flossmoor from falling like the rest, but then you have the school issue. Do Flossmoor residents pay insanely hight property taxes in addition to private school tuition or just throw in the towel and hit the road? The biggest difference between Flossmoor and the rest is the higher cost housing, which tends to keep an area stable.

Don't get me wrong, I love the South burbs and have lived in Riverdale, Hegewisch, Glenwood, Hazel Crest and Steger, but each time I come back to visit, a little piece of my heart gets ripped out.
I grew up in Hazel Crest in the 70's and 80's and it breaks my heart to see how it is now. There are way too many low income ghetto losers and it's sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2015, 09:47 PM
 
119 posts, read 299,926 times
Reputation: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
I grew up in Hazel Crest in the 70's and 80's and it breaks my heart to see how it is now. There are way too many low income ghetto losers and it's sad.
I share your sentiment about hazel crest. There was a time when hazel crest was just one step below Homewood on the stairway to upward mobility in the southern suburbs. It used to be younger couples would start out with a little home of their own in a neighborhood like hazel crest or park forest. And eventually move up to homewood or matteson. I attribute the long term decline in the popularity of neighborhoods like hazel crest more to the changing attitudes in our society about getting married young and settling down. And also the growing popularity of single parent families in affordable suburbs. And the increase in poverty that comes with that.

Last edited by gregbuck; 01-15-2015 at 10:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2015, 01:46 PM
 
10,029 posts, read 10,891,666 times
Reputation: 5946
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbuck View Post
I share your sentiment about hazel crest. There was a time when hazel crest was just one step below Homewood on the stairway to upward mobility in the southern suburbs. It used to be younger couples would start out with a little home of their own in a neighborhood like hazel crest or park forest. And eventually move up to homewood or matteson. I attribute the long term decline in the popularity of neighborhoods like hazel crest more to the changing attitudes in our society about getting married young and settling down. And also the growing popularity of single parent families in affordable suburbs. And the increase in poverty that comes with that.
Yeah when I grew up there my neighbors were often younger doctors etc moving up in their career. By the time I left there it was populated by teen parents on welfare and generally lower income people. I know one of the problems was when they started letting section 8 residents come in. They used to be able to keep them out but by the time I left that was a huge percentage. I noticed that changing attitude about society and it's sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2015, 08:19 PM
 
119 posts, read 299,926 times
Reputation: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
Yeah when I grew up there my neighbors were often younger doctors etc moving up in their career. By the time I left there it was populated by teen parents on welfare and generally lower income people. I know one of the problems was when they started letting section 8 residents come in. They used to be able to keep them out but by the time I left that was a huge percentage. I noticed that changing attitude about society and it's sad.

If you look as far back as the 1970's. Hazel Crest is actually the only far south suburb that was considered middle class then. That currently with a median household income under $50,000 a year. Is no longer a predominantly middle class suburb. And yes the demographics in the case of hazel crest have changed for the worse. Park Forest has declined also. But never was as middle class as hazel crest.

Flossmoor and Olympia Fields are still upper middle class suburbs. In terms of median household income compared to how they ranked with other suburbs in the 1970's. There has been some decline. As they were once economically up there with barrington hills, oak brook, glencoe, and lake forest. And now the socioeconomic demographics would be more comparable to glenview, elmhurst, glen ellyn, park ridge, or palos park. So less affluent now but the decline has not been to the point where they are no longer great communities to live in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2015, 02:07 AM
 
Location: South Chicagoland
4,112 posts, read 9,065,658 times
Reputation: 2084
Hazel Crest is a "far" south suburb? What's Monee or University Park? An ultra-far south suburb?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top