Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2014, 04:42 PM

2 posts, read 2,386 times

Advertisements

Im not from the area just have family there, but I see a lot of listings on realtor.com for 20, 000, -50, 000, some 70, 000. I dont know much about the area but I know aurora has a low murder and crime rate, so I was wondering do areas with these low housing prices are they safe to invest in ? I know real estate agents wont disclose info like this, so if anyone can help i would apperiate it.Thankyou
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2014, 07:42 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,987,276 times
Aurora is not considered a super desirable town. There are probably parts of it that are better than others like the part that borders Naperville. Other parts are older and run down. Recently I was in the town area and it seemed okay and there seems to be some limited new development there. I don't see it getting that much better quickly, its too far away from many things to attract people there, and there are better places to live in the surrounding area.

Old 06-23-2014, 09:31 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,978,257 times
The better neighborhoods in Aurora come with a higher price tag ... that does include some older neighborhoods which are OK, as well as the area bordering Naperville, and the western area out around Orchard Road. Are the low-income areas safe to invest in? Depends on whether you mean investing in a house where you'll live, or buying rental properties. I'd expect to see a higher rate of property crime in those areas, and a higher rate of renters walking away from their leases.

Old 07-27-2014, 04:04 AM

366 posts, read 496,552 times
I am not sure why you think the crime rate is low in Aurora - it is not. Crime statistics are easily manipulated. The city is tricky to buy in as it is very odd in terms of the dividing line between a good and bad area. It can be the actual other side of the block that is considered undesirable and dangerous vs desirable and safe. A block or two in a direction can get you in hot water quickly. It really is a strange city in that regard.

Old 07-27-2014, 04:11 AM

366 posts, read 496,552 times
By the way your comment on safe to invest in. If you are thinking in terms of becoming a landlord you do not want to think about Aurora IL. The city council is hostile to landlords, you will be dealing with unbelievable compliance issues within the city proper. Part of the reason you can find so many inexpensive properties is many land lords are not interested in acquiring rental property in Aurora anymore. The city really ratcheted its attack on landlords the last few years. You will feel pressure form the police, the city inspectors and the actual ordinances. It is a very inhospitable city from a land lord perspective.

Old 07-28-2014, 01:45 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,569,132 times
Aurora is complicated. Id stay away from the east side. Anywhere from downtown to Fox Valley mall isnt recommended. The Fox Valley Mall and south to Plainfield is very nice, and definitely recommended... but expensive.

Old 07-28-2014, 02:49 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,995,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Aurora is complicated. Id stay away from the east side. Anywhere from downtown to Fox Valley mall isnt recommended. The Fox Valley Mall and south to Plainfield is very nice, and definitely recommended... but expensive.
Wow, hadn't heard from Steve-o in a while. He's one of the originals. How is AZ?

Old 07-28-2014, 04:19 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,569,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
Wow, hadn't heard from Steve-o in a while. He's one of the originals. How is AZ?
Its ok I guess. Bloody hot! Been out of the loop for awhile, busy with the job and moving and all that fun stuff. I miss Chicagoland area, I wont lie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs