Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 09:36 PM

588 posts, read 1,799,275 times

Advertisements

I know this is crazy advice, but all you have to do is actually look at your license plate, and here's the revelation, the expiration date is right on the sticker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2014, 08:14 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,936,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
No they could always send out a past due notice or call but that is what places that aren't run by total would morons do.
Adults shouldn't need their apartment complex to remind them that they're obligated to do something once a year. It's called "taking personal responsibility for your life".

Anyone who's forgetful can go to their computers (or the computer at the public library), print out a yearly calendar for free (available on many sites - google "free calendar"), and mark the month it's due. Of course, then they'd need to be responsible enough to actually look at the calendar once in a while.

Plus, I get a reminder from the state of IL once a year that my license renewal is due ... which can be returned in the mail with payment, or paid online. Doesn't get much easier than that.

Old 08-11-2014, 11:42 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,419,126 times
I mean the state could send out a past due notice like most other billers would. Sometimes things do get lost in the mail.

However, adults also don't need to live in a place that lets tow trucks prowl arround and remove vehicles for any excuse including violations that don't really involve any agreements/regulations between the HOA/apartment and resident. Again if this violation involved nonpayment of association fees or violations of private parking regulations they would have every right to have the vehicle towed. In this case they had no business allowing a private company to take a vehicle for a public violation when aparently they aren't even authorized agents of the state govt and even if they were they had no business operating on private property.

Howabout if I walk past your fenced in yard and see you have a dog without tags displayed on the collar. What it be OK for me to jump the fence, abduct your dog, and hold it for ransome under the guise that it is not registered.

Old 08-11-2014, 12:02 PM

9,907 posts, read 9,578,161 times
Quote:
I mean the state could send out a past due notice like most other billers would. Sometimes things do get lost in the mail.

However, adults also don't need to live in a place that lets tow trucks prowl arround and remove vehicles for any excuse including violations that don't really involve any agreements/regulations between the HOA/apartment and resident. Again if this violation involved nonpayment of association fees or violations of private parking regulations they would have every right to have the vehicle towed. In this case they had no business allowing a private company to take a vehicle for a public violation when aparently they aren't even authorized agents of the state govt and even if they were they had no business operating on private property.

Howabout if I walk past your fenced in yard and see you have a dog without tags displayed on the collar. What it be OK for me to jump the fence, abduct your dog, and hold it for ransome under the guise that it is not registered.
since you know things get lost in the mail, then the reminder notice could also get lost in the mail.

Re your example with the dog, if you do such a thing, you might be charged with a theft. I do not recommend it to make a point.

I only side with you IF you have bought your sticker and they tow you, otherwise, I cannot agree with people that do not take personal responsibility and then get mad when they suffer the consequences.

Old 08-11-2014, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
since you know things get lost in the mail, then the reminder notice could also get lost in the mail.

Re your example with the dog, if you do such a thing, you might be charged with a theft. I do not recommend it to make a point.

I only side with you IF you have bought your sticker and they tow you, otherwise, I cannot agree with people that do not take personal responsibility and then get mad when they suffer the consequences.
As I said that is a police state argument that anyone whether an agent of the govt or not can enforce any and all rules without any protocols or procedures such as warrants. That is not America that is N. Korea. Also noone wants to live in an environment with laws for everything and the goverment using cameras, private companies, even private parties to enforce every one with no limits and expensive tickets as a revenue scheme. As I stated in previous posts it becomes a significant quality of life issue when you have a govt that is looking for any chance to stick it to you. The same goes for HOA's and some apartment complexes. WHen they have rules for everything and start citing you left and right for everything you just want to get the heck out of there.

Old 08-11-2014, 04:18 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,936,897 times
HOA and rental rules have nothing to do with a police state. You're freely deciding where to live, and part of that choice is deciding to accept (or not accept) the apartment or HOA rules. I choose to live where I live because there are strict rules, and the complex does background checks on everyone. That keeps out at least some of the felons, gang bangers, deadbeats, and sex offenders. If you don't like the rules, rent/purchase elsewhere; there are plenty of low rent places that will rent to anyone.

Old 08-11-2014, 05:12 PM

I agree which is why I recommend anyone check the rules and if the association are nazis looking to drive residents crazy with strict and harsh enforcement of everything like many HOA are notorious for, I'd stay away, move, and give negative reviews. That would be a serious quality of life issue for me.

Old 08-11-2014, 06:49 PM

Quote:
As I said that is a police state argument that anyone whether an agent of the govt or not can enforce any and all rules without any protocols or procedures such as warrants. That is not America that is N. Korea. Also noone wants to live in an environment with laws for everything and the goverment using cameras, private companies, even private parties to enforce every one with no limits and expensive tickets as a revenue scheme. As I stated in previous posts it becomes a significant quality of life issue when you have a govt that is looking for any chance to stick it to you. The same goes for HOA's and some apartment complexes. WHen they have rules for everything and start citing you left and right for everything you just want to get the heck out of there.
I think you are feeling the frustration of having to pay that very expensive fee.

I guess since you feel those particular rules are too nazi for you, now you have figured out what kind of place you want to live in or not live in.

but the $64,000 question is - what are you going to do to not let this happen again? next year is coming soon.

Hey if its any consolation to you, and im not trying to be sarcastic, but I got a $25 late fee last month becuase I did not look at my credit card statement, and i shorted them $3.25, and they would not waive the fee, my bad. I could choose to curse them out and call them names, but i still had to pay it. It sucks getting dinged $25 for a $3.25 fee that i oops didn't look at the statement and paid what i thought i owed. but oh well, now i have learned my lesson to pay attention to my monthly statement.

Old 08-11-2014, 08:15 PM

I didn't have to pay an expensive fee. The OP got towed. I was overdue once but thankfully I don't live in some fascist HOA community or apartment so I just payed the extra $25 late fee and got the sticker when I noticed.

I just think it is atrocious that some HOA or apartment allows tow truck thugs to tow residents for something that really is none of their business in the first place. I would never live in such a place and I hope the OP moves and reports them on the relevant review sites. I am also very sick of the type of govt we have in the Chicago area that are looking for any chance to stick it to people and shake them down for money. It is one of the reasons I spend as little time in the city as possible. I honestly don't understand why anyone chooses to live in such places. It is bad enough the Chicago govt is fascist why live in an apartment complex or HOA community also run by fascists.

Last edited by MSchemist80; 08-11-2014 at 08:31 PM..

Old 08-11-2014, 08:27 PM

Quote:
I didn't have to pay an expensive fee. The OP got towed. I was overdue once but thankfully I don't live in some fascist HOA community or apartment so I just payed the extra $25 late fee and got the sticker when I noticed.

I just think it is atrocious that some HOA or apartment allows tow truck thugs to tow residents for something that really is none of their business in the first place. I would never live in such a place and I hope the OP moves and reports them on the relevant review sites.
Well, thats how you feel, as you're entitled to your opinion.

Its funny how you get mad at the HOA and tow trucks and call them bad names, but do you think a person is a good citizen when they failed to get their sticker on time? or should we let people off the hook and then get mad when the naturally occurring consequences catch up to them and they get towed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs