Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 06:58 AM

16 posts, read 22,869 times

Advertisements

Jefferson park looks very affordable. Is it a nice area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 07:29 AM

16 posts, read 22,869 times
Jefferson park seems very affordable. Is it a nice area?

Old 08-14-2014, 07:59 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times
Default Jefferson Park is mostly OK...

...it is more affordable than many other Chicago neighborhoods, but it really is not particularly attractive. It is mostly safe so that is a plus, but it is not very lively at all. Even in terms of commute, for most folks, it does not compare favorably to spots closer to the core business districts of the Loop / N. Michigan Ave or the suburbs that may have speedier options via Metra expresses... The same sort of "OK but..." applies to the schools -- not nearly as awful as the worst of CPS but neither can they hold a candle to nearby suburban schools especially for older kids. Many parents that work for the City and must live inside the corporate limits that choose Jefferson Park also prefer parochial schools becuase of the shortcomings...

For the OP's situation they could do a lot worse than Jefferson Park but even though some folks consider Jefferson Parl "almost suburban" they ought to know that this is more an assement of the lack of things that many folks like about Chicago -- not many nightspots, nor interesting resturants, nor even much of a variety of residents... Lots of folks in Jefferson Park lead a pretty "car centric" life and if the OP ends up needing to drive to work they very likely would be money ahead living in an even more affordable town without the high vehicle registration and similar fees / taxes of Chicago. The time savings compared to many such towns is minimal / nonexistent if one is closer to an expressway...

Old 08-14-2014, 08:26 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,861,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by williameconnors View Post
Jefferson park seems very affordable. Is it a nice area?
A drawback to Jefferson Park is that it is on the Blue Line which means you would have to walk a block underground downtown to transfer to the Red Line to get to the State Street stop near Michigan Avenue. Neighborhoods on the Red Line or Brown Line (which is an easy transfer to the Red Line at Belmont or Fullerton) would be more convenient.

Old 08-14-2014, 08:37 AM

33 posts, read 87,285 times
OP - Jefferson Park is a great neighborhood to live in if you want to live in a safe part of the city without spending a lot of money. The blue line will get you to the airport, downtown, and social hotspots like Wicker Park. But it's not on the brown or red lines, so for commuting to work you'd have to take the blue line to the Chicago stop and then take a bus to Michigan Avenue.

Honestly though, you really should take a weekend and explore some of these neighborhoods and suburbs yourself, try out the transit options, etc before you make a decision.

You also should think about how long you are planning to stay where you're moving to. The tips I've been giving are mostly for where would be good to live for the next few years before your kids are in school, while Hollingsworth is advising you on where you should live if you want to pick a place to stay for the long haul and raise your family.

Old 08-14-2014, 11:48 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,423,448 times
or take the blue line to Washington, transfer to the red line (1 block walk) and back track 3 stops. Or take the metra and then a bus. Not being on a direct connection to the N branch of the red line adds a bit of extra hastle and time to the commute.

Old 08-14-2014, 07:32 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,899,548 times
Getting from the western suburbs to N Michigan is not as bad as you think. CTA runs express buses from union station. There is an additional $55 surcharge to your monthly train ticket to ride, but it also entitles you to ride suburban buses, which may be handy if you live where train station parking is scarce.

Old 08-16-2014, 11:23 AM

366 posts, read 493,184 times
Having lived in Downtown Pittsburg though I will say, well, let me put it this way, I try and make at least one trek every couple of years to Pittsburg for vacation activities. It is one of my favorite cities. Where as I avoid Chicago at all costs and go there only out of absolute necessity.

That being said, there are many people who commute from West Aurora, Oswego, Montgomery to Chicago everyday. It is no big deal, depending on where you work on Michigan Ave. I use to go Aurora to Millennium Park area every day for over a year, it was an easy commute. The BNSF out of Aurora has express trains that get you to and from in under and hour (vs the 1:20 each way ones) and though I walked (even in the winter, once I got to Chicago) the subway is very well developed. You would see the same people day after day, get to know them and many had been making the trip for their entire working life. You develop what are affectionately called “train buddies”. The train is low stress. Many sleep, others read, others take out their laptops and work, others socialize with their train buddies. It becomes detox time for many, before they walk in the door. You can go on line and find the subway and bus maps as well as the train schedules and see if it is for you.

As far as schooling goes, Oswego and Montgomery get served by ok schools by IL public school standards. But I would mention that IL is a very home school friendly state. I would suggest every parent investigate the possibility and potential of home schooling. And by investigate I mean actually talk to someone who has done it, rather than listen to the armchair criticisms of a bunch of pontificating blowhards (there is a lot of that here at city-data, the forums are set up to encourage it). You will find that IL is an extremely home school friendly state. So while homeschooling is not for everyone, it is something I would encourage you to at least explore. It frees you from having the quality of schools dictate where you live and thus opens the door to more possibilities etc, etc (insert typical pro home school diatribe).

Good luck in your quest for you personal paradise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs