Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 10:11 AM

2 posts, read 3,796 times

Advertisements

Thank you everyone for your replies!

A quick note, I am Hispanic Although you can't tell by looking at me so maybe those white folk won't go running for the hills when they see me coming. That being said, I would love to move to a place that isn't predominately anything, ya know? If crime is low and schools are great, I don't care if my neighbors are white, brown, black, red, or purple.

We have also decided we would not like to stay inner rings suburbs for a couple of reasons. As pointed out by another poster, we feel we will get a lot more space bang for our buck if we head out further (west, north, south). Additionally, having lived in Oak Park for years, I'm not a huge fan of the near burbs with maybe the exception of Brookfield.

Now what are your thoughts on Lake in The Hills? Crystal Lake? Cary? Algonquin? Or Geneva/St Charles/Batavia?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2014, 02:57 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,354,654 times
Default Kind of a mismatch...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellamomma04 View Post
Thank you everyone for your replies!

A quick note, I am Hispanic Although you can't tell by looking at me so maybe those white folk won't go running for the hills when they see me coming. That being said, I would love to move to a place that isn't predominately anything, ya know? If crime is low and schools are great, I don't care if my neighbors are white, brown, black, red, or purple.

We have also decided we would not like to stay inner rings suburbs for a couple of reasons. As pointed out by another poster, we feel we will get a lot more space bang for our buck if we head out further (west, north, south). Additionally, having lived in Oak Park for years, I'm not a huge fan of the near burbs with maybe the exception of Brookfield.

Now what are your thoughts on Lake in The Hills? Crystal Lake? Cary? Algonquin? Or Geneva/St Charles/Batavia?
While Geneva, St. Charles, and even the core of Batavia are mostly traditonal suburbs with a lot of nice things to recommend them I can't help but think that anybody living in Oak Park either has very limitied experience or some kind of desire to be in 180 degree different kind of town is they are seriously considering Cary, Algonquin, Cryatal Lake or Lake in The Hills. Those are very much "fringe" type towns that will make a commute into Chicago extremely challenging, not to mention having to deal with a whole lot more driving for all the everyday things related to the kids, trips to grocery stores, and any similar things that likely would be accomplished with less hassle in a more compact area...

The fact is in the various subdivions in the fringe type areas builders have not been particualry thoughtful about how the balance the various commercial / community needs against the land used for residential areas. In many of these cookie cutter developments the yards really aren't all that big and they often end up with rather useless "common areas" that mostly just buffer storm runoff into detention ponds...

The "more bang for your buck" does not apply uniformly at all price points -- it might be more true at maybe $400k level where you could maybe get a kind of McMansiony place with. 3car garage and 4+ BR / luxury bath suite, but at $200k you might not really end up with anything that is all that more livable than the homes that Hollingsworth linked to in Wheaton. Sure, they're probably newer but I would rather have a more solidly constructed home in a much more desirable location that be so very far out...

Old 08-24-2014, 05:41 PM

165 posts, read 309,788 times
Hmm, here's a different type of thought... how about a townhome? I think you're more likely to find a 3 BR 1.5 or 2 BA townhome in your budget if you want to be close to a train, under $250k, and reasonably commutable to Chicago. Otherwise you will be way out in the far-flung suburbs you mentioned. Even the newer-ish townhomes in nice towns like Downers Grove, Lisle etc. can be reasonably priced and comfortably finished (though maybe not granite counters, etc). The only compromise may be your OWN yard, though some do have individual yards while others may have shared but ample shared yard space. My understanding is that the it may not be as fruitful of an investment vs. a single family house, but it may allow you to get some of the other things that you want more easily. Just a thought.

Old 08-25-2014, 09:47 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,784,652 times
I have worked with a lot of professional Hispanic men and women, and I think it is challenging for them to settle on a place to raise their kids. I would say that most of the Hispanic engineers, architects, and professionals I work with tend to stay close to the community they were raised in, but then send their kids to Catholic schools if this means a being in an area with bad schools. For instance, I know a few professional Hispanic men who own homes in Glendale Heights or West Chicago, but send their kids to private schools. I know several others who are staying in the city and doing the same.

Most of the outer suburbs with large lots and good schools have a pretty serious lack of diversity, unfortunately. Batavia and St. Charles are a little over 5% Hispanic, so clearly some Hispanic people are still choosing to live there--and most signs would point to this population increasing there over time as more second-generation kids go to college and find economic success. It all depends on what you are comfortable with.

Old 08-28-2014, 06:35 PM

172 posts, read 316,029 times
Check out frankfort il, fits ur criteria and is a town with fair amount of amenities, metra, and 4 interstates nearby , excellent schools, a lot of trees, very green, lots of retail within and nearby
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs