Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 03:40 PM

28 posts, read 55,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I think the biggest challenge for you will be the housing budget in that particular portion of Chicagoland. I would open your search to the following towns with excellent schools (truly top tier), and pick the best house/location you can find:

Wilmette
Glenview
Park Ridge (no one brought this one up yet?)
Highland Park
Northbrook
Deerfield
Ain't that the truth. I was really hoping to find some Geneva-esque prices/yards/schools within commuting distance of Evanston, but seems like there is just nothing like that nearby. I agree that your list is pretty much what I need to focus on, with the possible addition of Lake Bluff since it's a straight shot on the Metra.

Park Ridge -- I just feel like it might be a little urban for me, but it's true that I'm not too familiar with it. I want to be able to have the kids play outside and have a big garden in the back yard.

Speaking of the Metra, most of these are not on the same Metra line as the Evanston stop. Think that means we'll just have to drive, or is it feasible to drive from say Deerfield to another UPN line lot and take it the rest of the way to EV? I know the Wilmette metra lot fills up quite early, not sure if there are other restrictions/capacity issues in the more northern lots on that line too? Or whether the commute time is even worth it rather than driving all the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2014, 03:41 PM
wjj

950 posts, read 1,361,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I agree that Prospect and Hersey are excellent schools, and A.H. and Mt Prospect are perhaps a little more of a value than the "North Shore" in that respect. But that commute may be worse than what you want. Better than Buffalo Grove, Vernon Hills, or Hawthorn Woods by a long shot, though!
Depends on where in Arlington Heights you are. AH borders Buffalo Grove. But if you are that far north in AH, you are in Buffalo Grove HS district which is a step down from Hersey or Prospect (but not a huge step).

Old 08-26-2014, 07:52 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,894,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopehome View Post
We're looking for an affordable family home near Evanston and I'm totally stumped. Price seems to really be limiting us.

Here's Seems from my online searches like tThere's some high voltage power lines running through the east side - anything to worry about there? Any reason to consider/exclude them along with BG?
There is little to be concerned with. Electromagnetic fields outside the Right-of-way are negligible. As far as the lines crashing down, if the winds are high enough to cause that, you got bigger problems to worry about. Except maybe appearance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs