Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 08:46 PM

14 posts, read 78,884 times

Advertisements

I think it may be quite true that the further north you go, the better the schools (esp. New Trier).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2007, 12:28 AM

1,903 posts, read 7,897,707 times
Chesterton, Indiana would be an option for someone looking to live between Chicago and South Bend. I hate getting off that exit, though, because traffic really sucks, and Indiana drivers are always in their minivans with their ten kids, doing everything except driving. Hoosiers aren't good at anything except being better than Buckeyes. Live life - live in the state with the governors that are better at being corrupt.

I'd pick Glen Ellyn or Palatine over Merrillville, no problem. TAXMAN is gonna get you no matter where you live, so might as well play it good. The radio reception is better in Illinois and the quantity of shopping malls is outmatched only by the higher quality of choices and selection.

Old 12-09-2007, 04:19 AM

1 posts, read 5,749 times
Default burbs

A nice comfortable (tree lined) and affordable suburb to consider is Mount Prospect. The people there have a city like manner and are very down to Earth. Property values there are growing. My nephew graduated from the high school there and just by observing it seems like the kids there are very tight with each other. The high school there has a decent football program and the kids seem not to be too overparented and pretty mature. Nice place to consider and invest in. A lot of newly, modestly remodeled houses. A nice park district where everyone knows everyone at the baseball fields. If I had to raise my kids in any suburb it would be Mount Prospect or something comprable like Park Ridge or Arlington Heights. Getting a house in the city should be the goal for anyone moving to the Chicagoland area though. City kids have something suburban kids don't. Nice areas are Edgebrook, Sauganash and Forest Glen. Edison Park and Norwood Park should be avoided. Must send kids to a Catholic school if in the city though. Unless you go to a fresh magnet school, I'm just keepin it real. The city of Chicago is a testament to the fine people of the Midwest. They're direct, don't bull **** and are not afraid to dish out and receive blows. However they are some of the most loyal and just differently smart people. Cook county including the city and the suburbs is probably one of the overall nicest areas of the country. Do not fool yourself and think you are raising a Chicagoan by living in Aurora or Naperville. Those are garbage cities with garbage people. Anywhere further out than and including Schaumburg is also garbage. There is a thing about city people that makes them very smart, and the some of the strongest people in the world are Chicagoan. South Siders are a different breed, but the best areas are parts of Beverly and Mount Greenwood. To Anyone thinking of living in the Chicago area, I cannot advise the move enough. You will not be dissapointed with the finest most free thinking people in the country. Also, a thing people dont realize is that people who are born in Chicago, die in Chicago. Chicago-- the biggest small town in the world.

God Bless.

Old 12-13-2007, 10:12 AM

1 posts, read 5,707 times
Default A rising community

Do not over look the area around New Lenox in Will County. Excellent schools in an area where the next boom will take place. Rail transportation on two commuter lines to downtown Chicago and excellent roads and infrastructure. A laid back area of proefssionals and gereally nice people. New Lenox proper has cut property tax rates for 17 consecutive years. Housing is very affordable. The Licnolnway high school district is building two new high schools at the same time without raising taxes due to foresight years ago. Three major shopping malls are to be built next to the newly opened I-355 including a very upscale one. Right now it is at the very edge of suburbia with lots of open land available.

Old 12-14-2007, 05:27 AM

356 posts, read 542,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evie7463 View Post
I think it may be quite true that the further north you go, the better the schools (esp. New Trier).

Are you referring to Wisconsin or Canada?

Old 12-14-2007, 10:12 AM

27 posts, read 97,012 times
Default Help!!

I've sorted through all of these pages and still would love some additional opinions. We've been living for about a year and a half in Naperville. We relocated for a job and used to live in MI (a middle class burb of Detroit). Well....we are pretty much hating the way of life in Naperville. I agree with a lot of what has been said about this town (the positive and the negative). I wish that I had seen this forum a few years ago! At any rate, this town just isn't a good match for us. My kids have had a really awful time making friends and fitting in-even after a year and a half! What town fits the bill for being more friendly, less pretentious, more down to earth, more character in the housing and closer to the city? We are looking at Elmhurst...any thoughts on how it compares to Naperville?

Old 12-14-2007, 10:52 AM

1,464 posts, read 5,507,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elisabetm View Post
I've sorted through all of these pages and still would love some additional opinions. We've been living for about a year and a half in Naperville. We relocated for a job and used to live in MI (a middle class burb of Detroit). Well....we are pretty much hating the way of life in Naperville. I agree with a lot of what has been said about this town (the positive and the negative). I wish that I had seen this forum a few years ago! At any rate, this town just isn't a good match for us. My kids have had a really awful time making friends and fitting in-even after a year and a half! What town fits the bill for being more friendly, less pretentious, more down to earth, more character in the housing and closer to the city? We are looking at Elmhurst...any thoughts on how it compares to Naperville?

Ahhhh, another post of somebody that found Naperville to be a snob ridden hell hole with million dollar homes. Gee who would have thunk???

Old 12-14-2007, 12:47 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,372,889 times
Quote:
At any rate, this town just isn't a good match for us. My kids have had a really awful time making friends and fitting in-even after a year and a half! What town fits the bill for being more friendly, less pretentious, more down to earth, more character in the housing and closer to the city? We are looking at Elmhurst...any thoughts on how it compares to Naperville?
I had a similar experience when I moved to Barrington (yes, I know there are pretentious as well as down-to-earth people everywhere). I still haven't found the right fit so we'll be moving this year. We're also trying to find a town with great schools, down-to-earth people, lower crime, housing with character, easy city access... Is it even possible in Chicagoland?

We've just started looking at Wilmette/Evanston area because we love the lakefront. But I don't have much experience with the area yet. I'll be interested in the responses you receive...

Old 12-14-2007, 12:51 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
Sounds like Evanston might work well for you.

Old 12-15-2007, 09:35 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
If college readiness is an important factor for your kids, take a look at the U.S. News and World Report's Illinois results for the Best U.S. High Schools. Illinois has 6 Gold Medal winners, Stevenson and five selective admission/magnet schools in Chicago. Any of the 24 Silver Medal winners would be a good choice. You could then pinpoint a few communities that have great schools and match the environment you're looking for.

Elmhurst's high school didn't win gold, silver, or bronze, so take that into consideration if college prep is a criteria for your family.

Here's the link. You can sort by county:
http://www.usnews.com/directories/hi...y+/detail+less
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs