Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Chicago: great schools, downtown, housing, market, traffic, real estate.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 12:45 AM

103 posts, read 150,924 times

Advertisements

I would definitely recommend Naperville. It was rated #1 in the Country a few years ago, and #2 last year I believe. It has great schools, and one of the best downtown areas in the suburbs with many things to do. Great parks, Beautiful downtown river walk. And very safe and kid friendly. Close commute to the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2008, 09:58 AM

137 posts, read 202,222 times
I have been living in Evanston since November. I really like the area. It acts like a bridge between Chicago and the suburbs to the North. It is what I would call 'urburban'.

Evanston's town center is very nice and active. There are many high-rise condominium's and five high-rise office buildings. Evanston's town center has many shops. They are nice mid-range shops like, Pier1 Imports, Levi's Store, and Ann Taylor Loft. There are still some locally owned businesses but many have moved away. There are two nice mom & pop shopping areas. Central Street is very high end and is almost all locally owned businesses and Main-Chicago which is middle range locally owned businesses.

If Characture is high on your list, you will love Evanston. Evanston has many beautiful homes, streets, trees, parks, beaches, and buildings. Evanston had a few brick paved streets in the northeastern section. Evanston's streetlights are very interesting and were designed by Tallmadge & Watson. Evanston has a nice town center, which we call Downtown Evanston. There are some nice restaurants, cafes, and shops. Downtown Evanston has quite a few high-rise condominium buildings. New residents and I love the high-rises because they provide a nice contrast between the typical street car suburban Evanston neighborhoods. Many past residents hate them because they do bring some traffic into the community.

There are many cultural opportunities in Evanston. Evanston is home to Northwestern University which has extensive programs for local adults and children. Northwestern has a beautiful lakefront campus that is open to the public. There are lakefront playing fields and bike paths. Evanston Township High School also have some nice programs. I have an older neighbor who visits the Levy Senior Center every week.

Evanston taxes are extraordinary. My taxes are quite high. My home was close to $500,000. I have a renovated 4 bedroom 2.5 bath in Southern Evanston on Asbury. It is a very nice historic neighborhood. We are close to an Elementary and Middle School.

Many people say Evanston has a lor of racial diversity. I really disagree. Evanston's Southeastern, Eastern, Northeastern, and Northwest sections are close to being a White and Asian. Evanston's Western, and Southwestern areas are mostly Black and Hispanic. I live in a neighborhood that is mostly white and between Eastern and Western Evanston. Evanston does seem to have some racial tension in the school system. There is also a large gap in incomes here. The White and Asian areas tend to be of the Upper Middle and Upper Class. While the Black and Hispanic are of the Middle to Lower Classes.

Evanston is a large suburb so the town as a whole rarely gets to gather. Evanston, like Chicago is a community of neighborhoods. The neighborhoods vary greatly in demographics, incomes, and style. Evanston's neighborhoods are very tight knit. In fact the wealthier neighborhoods tend to be less tight knit.

Evanston has been a Tree City USA for close to 30 years. We have an extensive tree canopy as with most of the Northern Suburbs. Evanston has an extensive Forestry Department that constults you on tree care and maintains trees on parkways, treelawns, and in parks.

There are 4 major parking garages in the Downtown area. There are also several smaller public garages and parking lots in some of the newer buildings and in the alleys behind shops. Many of the Vintage Condominium and Apartment buildings do not offer off-street parking. Sometimes you can purchase parking spaces for $15,000 to $25,000. The newer condominiums and apartments (built after 1960) have garage or parking spaces usually included for free.

I right now have to commute to Schaumburg from Evanston, which takes me about 60 minutes. Evanston is within 40 minutes of the rest of the Northern Suburbs near the lake. Evanston is about 45 minutes from Downtown Chicago by car and 25 to 35 minutes by train.

$650,000 gives you a variety of different options. You could have a newer construction condominium in downtown. Maybe a smaller or older home in Northwest Evanston or in my neighborhood around Asbury, Ridge, and Dempster. It really depends on what you want. You might be able to get a place in Southeast Evanston a few blocks from the lake.

Old 01-09-2008, 02:28 PM

16 posts, read 53,239 times
Parking permit in Naperville Metra station is really hard to get (9 years waiting list). It sounds great that the express train reaches downtown under 40 minutes, but the last express train leave station at 8:33 in the morning and after that you are out of luck (forget about advantages of flexible working time). And again, if you add up all the time, from home to metra station, fighting the crowd out of Chicago Union Station, walk to office downtown, it could very easily reach 70+ min, and the train will always be late about 5 minutes.

With both of you work at loop, it's kinda hard to get home in the middle of day if something happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlong1991 View Post
I would definitely recommend Naperville. It was rated #1 in the Country a few years ago, and #2 last year I believe. It has great schools, and one of the best downtown areas in the suburbs with many things to do. Great parks, Beautiful downtown river walk. And very safe and kid friendly. Close commute to the city.

Old 01-09-2008, 06:40 PM

1,006 posts, read 1,555,681 times
Default Move from NYC

I spent 3 mos in a sublet apartment in the West Village in NYC in 2002 with my two daughters. I loved NYC and have lived downtown and raised my children there. I do like the suburbs (some), but these are not for us. Being from NYC, I'd think you'd want good access to the city, not too far, by train. Hinsdale has good train access to the city, as do Wilmette and Winnetka. You should be able to find a moderate house in those areas, a nice one, not huge, and the schools are good. Wilmette and Winnetka have the advantage of the New Trier school district, excellent high school for most students, but very large. I don't feel the CPS is an option, so my children went to private schools. The CPS is inconsistent and does not compete with the academics, or safety issues, at the private schools in Chicago. I do feel, knowing NYC, that reasonable access to the city by train will help ease your transition. Evanston is nice, but the schools are not as good, depending on the district, as Wilmette and Winnetka. I would consider starting there, and look at Hinsdale also. Good luck!

Old 01-10-2008, 07:44 PM

9 posts, read 51,692 times
Check out Oswego. Just 15 mins west of naperville. You can get about up to an acre of land and a beautiful house for 650K. I personally know one of the top realtors in IL who happens to be in Oswego if you need one. She is absolutely top notch. Great community.

Old 01-10-2008, 09:26 PM

281 posts, read 928,036 times
Consider the north Lake County suburbs. Libertyville, Vernon Hills and Gurnee are very attractive towns with excellent schools, restaurants, shopping and a quick and cheap (less than $5) train ride to downtown Chicago. You can get a very nice house up here for less than $250,000. For $650,000 you can pretty much get the pick of the place. You could even get a relatively modest home in Lake Forest in today's market.

Old 01-10-2008, 11:21 PM

1,006 posts, read 1,555,681 times
Are the original New Yorkers still reading this? I think there are alot of good options here, but they are so spread out that it would be very time consuming to explore them all. Like everyone facing such a big move, I think a priority list of must have's and just preferences are in order as a guide to what communities they should investigate. All the options have so many pluses, and minuses, depending on the individuals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs