Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 10:17 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,944,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
LOL, after reading some of those political posts, I take back what I said! Move to Maywood, DandiDay, you'll love it!
I don't know if this matters, but for the sake of complete disclosure, Oak Park is very, very liberal. Obama got 80%+ of the vote here in 2012. We're not Berkeley, CA liberal, but maybe the closest thing to that around here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2014, 01:30 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,776,941 times
Sorry Dandi, I figured the little "winky symbol" made it clear I was joking. Once you get a look at Maywood, you'll understand that it's hard to recommend to ANYONE.

But back your situation, the fact that you could be confined to a wheelchair makes me wonder if you'd be happier in either an elevator building, or a one-story house. Many of the older suburbs of Chicago are dominated by two-story homes, and so this is definitely something to consider. You may even want to look at areas with concentrations of ranch-style houses built within the last 30 years (a newer house would be more likely to have recent code changes, like light switches that can be reached from wheelchairs or door swings that won't block your path). You may find more of these types of houses in a suburb like Wheaton instead of a suburb like La Grange or Elmhurst.

Old 09-16-2014, 01:49 PM

671 posts, read 690,104 times
Lookout Kid,
No, I thought the wink was in confirmation of other comments...my mistake!

I was initially so disheartened after some of the comments. Suffice it to say that it's been a VERY difficult summer, and this move is proving to be quite a shock to me. I think I'm just overwhelmed and extremely tired as well as oversensitive.

Also, I really worry about the cold, as I literally "freeze up" like the tin man from the Wizard of Oz.

You've pointed out another concern, that we've found exists in mid-rise apartments and townhouses... stairs!

So, thank you for the note -quite timely in all respects, because actually DH and I are sitting down doing our spreadsheets right now!

I'm quickly looking up some representative houses and apartments in Elmhurst, Wheaton, the Oakpark highrise, and dwellings in LaGrange right now...to see what's out there, and compare costs, commutes, etc.

I'll continue to update y'all, and THANK YOU for your ongoing support and help. It's most appreciated!!!

Certainly, if you can think of anything else we should consider, I'll keep on checking here.

Thanks again,

Dandiday

Old 09-16-2014, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holl1ngsworth View Post
Here is a nice on-budget rental in the heart of Wheaton:

255 E. Liberty Dr. #6082, WHEATON, IL 60187 | Zillow

I'll second LoK on the fact you seem like a really nice person. However, I've noticed on some of your other posts that your claws really come out when discussing politics. Does the political reputation of your future hometown need to be considered?
We took a look at this one, and it seemed just fine! In fact, it's a gorgeous building, with a beautiful apartment. Loved the fact it was close to the college and amenities, with proximity to downtown. At 1871 sq. ft, it has ample room for all three of us! Plus, we noticed the outdoor pool and fitness center. Thanks for finding this gem, Holl1ngsworth! Especially budget-minded at under 3K...incredible for the size and location! If you happen to be searching any more, please post any more "finds"! This one is at the top of our list, and we'll contact them asap. Thank you!!!

OK- we're in phase I...narrowed some of the areas down, and beginning to work on spreadsheets comparing various houses, rentals, walkability, and amenities!

Lookout Kid - if we decide to purchase a multi-story house, we may have to install one of those stair-climbers. Although not entirely wheelchair-bound yet, I could also think about those fancy ones that also climb stairs. So, all is not lost, there! However, I do appreciate you even thinking about housing from this angle...that was very astute of you!
Thanks!

I'm still leaning towards renting (apt, condo, house), DH is vying for a small house. So far, in this early stage, we've discovered that for a 300K-350K house, the price difference as compared to a rental after 2-3 years is quite marked...even if we were to sell at a 20% loss (depending on the house price), we'd not surpass the approximate amount spent on a rental.

So, we're beginning with Wheaton!

Holl1ngsworth (and anyone else!),
What do you think of the examples below? Of course, we'd have to do much more research into the specific areas of each town or village area before we'd even think of purchasing. We are just looking for a couple of representative houses in various price ranges, along with their taxes, from our "top 5" towns so far. We've found a diverse range, including foreclosures, historic houses, 1950's bungalows and ranchers, and then more recently-built houses that are in the 500K range (enormous taxes, however.).

Here's a foreclosure:
415 Bridle Ln, Wheaton, IL 60187.,
3 beds, 2 baths, 2,350 sqft for $297K

415 Bridle Ln, Wheaton, IL 60187 is For Sale - Zillow

We were pleasantly surprised to see some gorgeous historic houses near Wheaton downtown - in the 400-500K range. One had millwork, exposed brick, along with nice updates. One thing I'd wonder about would be the upgrading/replacement of the electrical systems. Some made mention that electrical and plumbing had been replaced.

Loved this historic home:
726 N Wheaton Ave, Wheaton, IL 60187
4 beds, 4 baths, 2,827 sqft for $445K

726 N Wheaton Ave, Wheaton, IL 60187 is For Sale - Zillow

Ditto for this little one. Absolutely charming!!! It's amazing, however, that the price difference per sq. foot is so vastly different. Even with the price cut of 18 K only3 weeks ago.
***Are finished basements usually included in the overall listed sq. foot of the house?

118 W Jefferson Ave, Wheaton, IL 60187
3 beds, 2 baths, 1,248 sqft for $325K

415 Bridle Ln, Wheaton, IL 60187 is For Sale - Zillow

In terms of resale value, would you say that purchasing a house nearer to either Wheaton College or Elmhurt College (and their respective downtown areas) would be more advantageous?

Besides looking at all of the yellow dots on Zillow (home sales, which may or may not be very recent...), can anyone recommend any other links to such data?

Also, looking at the Official pages of Wheaton, Elmhurst, and La Grange, I can see that each one has its own special charm...especially the downtown areas! I had just found these websites, filled with wonderful information and videos... What a great way to preview the areas!

Thank you!

Dandiday

Old 09-16-2014, 04:59 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,341,904 times
I was just being humorous with the claws remark. You certainly don't need to apologize for your passion or your beliefs, to anyone. Your views seem to be rooted in real world experience, and that adds credibility.

I only brought up reputations because of what I've read from other posters on this forum. I've come to understand that some impassioned people really care about reputations; folks want to flock with birds of the same feather. Please take said reputations with the tiniest grain of salt. When we were home shopping last year, my wife and I largely ignored the 'reputations' being floated around, political or otherwise, and operated under the assumption that we could get along with anyone. I'm sure you'd be able to as well.

Back on topic, 726 N. Wheaton and 118 W. Jefferson are two of the best deals right now in Wheaton. IMO Jefferson seems like a better fit for you, given your frugality, but I think either would be a great investment... I'm just a guy on a C-D forum though.

Last edited by holl1ngsworth; 09-16-2014 at 06:12 PM..

Old 09-16-2014, 11:47 PM

Default houses and rentals in Wheaton,,,

Quote:
Originally Posted by holl1ngsworth View Post
I was just being humorous with the claws remark. You certainly don't need to apologize for your passion or your beliefs, to anyone. Your views seem to be rooted in real world experience, and that adds credibility.

I only brought up reputations because of what I've read from other posters on this forum. I've come to understand that some impassioned people really care about reputations; folks want to flock with birds of the same feather. Please take said reputations with the tiniest grain of salt. When we were home shopping last year, my wife and I largely ignored the 'reputations' being floated around, political or otherwise, and operated under the assumption that we could get along with anyone. I'm sure you'd be able to as well.

Back on topic, 726 N. Wheaton and 118 W. Jefferson are two of the best deals right now in Wheaton. IMO Jefferson seems like a better fit for you, given your frugality, but I think either would be a great investment... I'm just a guy on a C-D forum though.
thanks, Holl1ngsworth for checking out those properties- I just realized that one of my links was the wrong one, but you seemed to have found it anyway. I appreciate you taking the time to double-check. They are both great properties and deals, should we go with a purchase vs. rental. Our spread sheets are becoming very helpful in seeing the numbers in black and white!

We also began to check out the rentals in Wheaton as well- so, we're finding may viable options there as well. So, we may have the funds for that sailboat, anyway!!!

I was both relieved and curious to hear your remarks about reputations, especially in our politically-charged country at this current time. There are so many different opinions out there...I try not to chastise those who hold ideas based on their personal experience vs. mine, and ultimately don't hold it against them.

Having said that, and as you pointed out, by virtue of some of my unique experiences working for the government as well as living overseas via the military, these experiences just may render a point of view that many people wouldn't otherwise be aware. Thank you for recognizing that!

I'll say one more thing - being exposed to military life, with an amalgam of different people with a variety of races, ethnicities, and cultures, along with different attitudes and experiences, it was an illuminating and very positive experience overall. Within the military (at least in the medical side of the house) I can say without question, that people usually approached each other with relative "color blindness" and a refreshing attitude of acceptance or at least an open mind. If there was any distinction noted, it was usually a positive one, based on merit, work ethic, and one's "heart". I think I'll miss that part the most...

Thank you again, and have a good night!
Cheers,

Dandiday

Old 09-17-2014, 07:24 AM

FYI: I would expect the commute from most places in Wheaton to Maywood to be about 40 minutes in normal traffic conditions. The Eisenhower Expressway (also know as "The Ike" and I-290) tends to have it's most predictable, daily slowdowns between the merge with I-88 and Harlem Avenue in Oak Park. But during non-rush periods, the commute from Wheaton would probably be under a half hour.

Places like La Grange, Brookfield, Riverside, and Oak Park may offer commutes of like 15 minutes. So there is a bit of a tradeoff being as far west as Wheaton to be aware of.

And I'd be remiss to no recommend you also check out Glen Ellyn if you are looking at Wheaton. Right next door and one of the most charming suburbs in Chicagoland, with a large community college, arts festivals, jazz festivals, a small lake, hilly terrain, a cute little downtown...

Last edited by Lookout Kid; 09-17-2014 at 07:41 AM..

Old 09-17-2014, 07:28 AM

Also, re: military life, there is a huge VA hospital right next to Loyola Medical, and a small National Guard facility on 22nd street. I do think you will encounter a lot of military people in the vicinity.

Old 09-17-2014, 09:56 AM

Question Commute time, roads, winter, etc.

Hey, Lookout Kid,

Good Morning!

Thanks for the ongoing dialogue and continued advice. It amazes me that what seems to be such a relatively short distance between towns, actually translates into a relatively longer commute time!

It's this "insider knowledge" that's so vital to our choice...and indeed, you seem to have an uncanny ability to anticipate my next question!

As DH and I looked at the top neighborhoods you all so kindly recommended, we had just reached the point of looking at La Grange, especially for its proximity to Maywood and DD's potential university choices.

We also were intending on checking out Glen Ellyn today, as well as investigate the rental options a bit more in Oak Park for proximity's sake. So, thank you! It seems we're on the "same page"!

I was also going to ask that, given the choices based purely on a commute standpoint, which of the major roads seem to have less traffic problems or snarls.

Along this line, what about the same during winter? Do certain roadways get more attention than others?

DH must have on-call access to the hospital at all times. So, in considering this as well, we must take a very good look at the closer towns and burbs around Loyola.

Also, from what I understand at this stage, is that there's a close relationship between Loyola and the VA in many respects. So, yes, we'll probably have access to retired military there as well.

Not that it's the "end-all" with regard to forging friendships and relationships, but after 30 years, it IS a bit difficult to cut the umbilical cord! haha! Perhaps we've become too complacent? I dunno....

Thanks for the chat, and the info! As always, it's most appreciated!!!

Cheers,

Dandiday

Old 09-17-2014, 10:41 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,454,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
I don't know if this matters, but for the sake of complete disclosure, Oak Park is very, very liberal. Obama got 80%+ of the vote here in 2012. We're not Berkeley, CA liberal, but maybe the closest thing to that around here.
Yea, Oak Park would be a comically bad fit in this case. The recommendation of Berwyn was pretty funny also, LOL! I think the OP's on the right track with Wheaton. DuPage County has changed a bit over the past couple decades but is still going to be a lot more conservative in general than suburbs in Cook County, and Wheaton's a nice town (but those taxes...ouch!).

Of the Cook County suburbs, I think La Grange would probably be the best, or even Western Springs or La Grange Park, which I don't think were mentioned.

I wouldn't recommend Dandiday go further east than that. Riverside is great but taxes are even worse than Wheaton and it has no retail, restaurants or shopping. That means you become a defacto resident of its neighboring communities. She might want to do some research on the North Riverside Park Mall and the Berwyn Buffalo Wild Wings before going that route, haha!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs