Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 01:04 PM

11,973 posts, read 31,635,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by holl1ngsworth View Post
Regardless, it sounds like the OP has zeroed in on the Niles area. And again, even quite desirable towns in that area will have livable homes in the OP's price range. Here's a 'halfway there' example in Glenview:

2012 Central Rd GLENVIEW, IL 60025 | Redfin

And another in Park Ridge:

1021 N Dee Rd PARK RIDGE, IL 60068 | Redfin

And here is an amazing home near downtown Highland Park, being sold by an affordable housing non-profit:

637 Glenview Ave HIGHLAND PARK, IL 60035

Slim pickings, yes, but if the OP is patient and smart, there will be options in almost any town.
It is crazy to recommend Glenview, Park Ridge, and Highland Park to someone looking for an inexpensive area. All three are among the most premier, expensive suburbs of Chicago. ANY sub-$200K home in any of these three suburbs will surely be built over a toxic waste dump or a haunted cemetery for the criminally insane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2014, 01:13 PM

26 posts, read 31,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post
Forest Park and Berwyn would keep you close to Chicago and have a few great deals if you are patient and look....... Schools aren't great (but you don't care, and so property taxes lower), but lively urban suburbs with good expressway access and public transportation to Chicago. Remember, property taxes will be a lot higher here than what you are used to, so make sure you account for that.

Maybe suburbs/areas straight north of these towns if you want even closer to Niles like Elmwood Park. Melrose Park... But you should be talking to your family members that live there.

But if I were you I would rent for sure. Your financial/job situation is in flux, you are looking lower end for the area, and you don't know the area well. What's the hurry? Rent..... It may make financial sense for you anyway.
Renting does seem like the best option although I do have a few places to stay for the first couple of months. I'm also well aware of the property tax situation there and the fact that my property tax will possibly be any where from 3 to possibly 5 times the amount I pay down here.
The areas I am finding myself that are low in price and have low crime rates don't seem to be mentioned by anyone, Elk Grove Village to name one.

Old 09-30-2014, 01:21 PM

2,438 posts, read 3,313,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGreg View Post
That is weighing on my mind heavily, yet I really want to be around my family in Chicago. I am being told to look into the northwest part of Indiana which is where I will more then likely end up at. Although having to go through the heart of Chicago every time I want to see my family will be quite bothersome, especially during the winter time. There will always be some down falls, it will of course depend on the house, area, and job situation that comes with it.
There is a commuter train line running through Northwest Indiana with easy access to the Loop. You can meet family there or for a weekend...cut through the loop to Union Station to head to other destinations. I'd recommend the Miller Beach section of Gary...it seems to be on the verge of gentrification and is quite safe and stable. Decent homes for around 100,000...property tax limits of 1%...a gorgeous beach and real strong sense of community. Further down the line are nice towns like Porter and Chesterton. A friend of mine is a top real estate agent in the area...message me if you'd like to get in touch with him. he can set up a very convienent private portal depending on what you are looking for, very easy to comparison shop. he operates primarily in Lake County.

I highly recommend Indiana suburbs over Illinois suburbs, much better bang for the buck, lower taxes, more relaxed, MUCH BETTER beaches, a National Park, better nature in general despite the industry you see from the highways. And much better chance at appreciation IMO. And I am from the Northern burbs as a disclaimer.

Here is an example of Miller Beach...for 139.

http://www.trulia.com/property/30099...-46403#photo-1

Old 09-30-2014, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
There is a commuter train line running through Northwest Indiana with easy access to the Loop. You can meet family there or for a weekend...cut through the loop to Union Station to head to other destinations. I'd recommend the Miller Beach section of Gary...it seems to be on the verge of gentrification and is quite safe and stable. Decent homes for around 100,000...property tax limits of 1%...a gorgeous beach and real strong sense of community. Further down the line are nice towns like Porter and Chesterton. A friend of mine is a top real estate agent in the area...message me if you'd like to get in touch with him. he can set up a very convienent private portal depending on what you are looking for, very easy to comparison shop. he operates primarily in Lake County.

I highly recommend Indiana suburbs over Illinois suburbs, much better bang for the buck, lower taxes, more relaxed, MUCH BETTER beaches, a National Park, better nature in general despite the industry you see from the highways. And much better chance at appreciation IMO. And I am from the Northern burbs as a disclaimer.

Here is an example of Miller Beach...for 139.

8500 Locust Avenue, Gary IN For Sale - Trulia
I am certainly keeping northwest Indiana on my list but again, it is all about jobs. Thanks though, I'll keep this in mind.

Old 09-30-2014, 01:35 PM

11,973 posts, read 31,635,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGreg View Post
Elk Grove Village to name one.
Elk Grove Village might work for you--if you can handle the airplane noise.

I don't know why anyone would recommend Indiana for your situation. It's a ridiculous distance to Niles, and seems to generally be in decline. My mother is from NWI, and her family fled the area decades ago. Saving a few bucks on property taxes isn't a compelling reason to move there.

Old 09-30-2014, 01:38 PM

2,438 posts, read 3,313,374 times
And before some ignoramus chimes in that Gary is total ghetto...just a few blocks from the house I posted is this one, but for 900,000. the Miller Beach area is very secluded from the rest of Gary by highways, train tracks industry and national park..it's almost like an island.

7530 Oak Avenue, Gary IN For Sale - Trulia

The area is seeing new investment, restaurants, and a thriving new brewery. And the presence of million dollar homes on the lake should mean something.

Old 09-30-2014, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Elk Grove Village might work for you--if you can handle the airplane noise.

I don't know why anyone would recommend Indiana for your situation. It's a ridiculous distance to Niles, and seems to generally be in decline. My mother is from NWI, and her family fled the area decades ago. Saving a few bucks on property taxes isn't a compelling reason to move there.
I grew up next to a busy railroad track so that shouldn't be to much of an issue. I have heard mixed opinions on Indiana and if I can find an even better opportunity there I will take it. But I have a much better chance of finding a great job in my field of occupation in Niles, which why I am keeping that area #1 on my list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs