U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 08:43 AM

14 posts, read 17,321 times

Advertisements

Hoping to get some insight from people who have lived both places.

My job will take me to Chicago in a few months, office in the city on N Lasalle. Looking for places to live with good public schools.

Quick rundown: from Cleveland originally (which I liked), been in Atlanta for a few years now (not crazy about it, which is why I'm happy to take this transfer).

Interested in Chicago suburbs that compare to somewhere like the west shore suburbs (Rocky River, Bay Village, Westlake) or even something like Kirtland or Chagrin Falls in Cleveland area.

Basically looking for somewhere that the house values won't drop significantly because the area changes and would like to keep commute to work under 45 minutes. Prefer somewhere safe where we can walk dog at night, daughter could walk home from friend's house etc. We have friends in Oak Lawn, IL, but they have said area is changing and to avoid, looking to stay away from that sort of scenario.

As I mentioned, have a daughter, so good public schools are important. Some quick research shows that schools like:

Maine South
Stevenson
Fremd
Lyons

...are desirable. Others? Something like Neuqua Valley looks good too, but is probably too far commute wise.

Would like to buy but open to renting. I know property in Chicagoland is expensive, but would like to stay under 450k. Have found well maintained small houses in Maine South school district online for half that.

In general, I just want advice on quiet areas fairly close to the city with good schools that aren't ridiculously expensive. Appreciate any feedback.

Last edited by Sancho Romney; 09-24-2014 at 08:54 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2014, 09:02 AM

1,517 posts, read 2,057,765 times
The towns associated with the high schools you listed are all great options, but snagging a nicely-sized nicely-appointed home with your budget may be difficult. Neuqua might work for your budget, but the commute would be treacherous and the overall car-dependency of the area would give me pause.

At your price-point, I would recommend Wheaton, Glen Ellyn, Downers Grove and the northern parts of Naperville. High schools to focus on would be Wheaton North, Wheaton South, Glenbard West and Downers Grove North.

Here are a couple on-budget examples in Wheaton:

605 Lyon Ave WHEATON, IL 60187 | Redfin

726 N Wheaton Ave WHEATON, IL 60187 | Redfin

Both properties are walking-distance to all the amenities of downtown Wheaton, including Metra transit, groceries, shopping, dining, libraries, festivals, etc. They are also walking-distance to the elementary and middle schools, as well as several parks.

Last edited by holl1ngsworth; 09-24-2014 at 09:10 AM..

Old 09-24-2014, 09:11 AM

11,973 posts, read 29,678,209 times
I think your budget will be your biggest limitation in the more expensive districts--but $450k is definitely doable for a good, solid school district that meets your criteria.

You will have a harder time finding something in the Main South or Stevenson school districts in that price range. LTHS is a mix of really expensive towns like La Grange and Western Springs--and more working class suburbs like Hodgkins and Countryside. $450K won't go far in La Grange, but it is a great town if you can find a deal there.

Fremd (South Palatine) is definitely an option. I also highly recommend the portions of Arlington Heights that feed in to Hersey or Prospect High Schools. Mount Prospect is another very solid community with great schools in that area.

If you want a nicer house (and I know I'm going to sound like Holl1ngsworth here), it's hard to beat Wheaton. You would have a really nice selection of houses in the $450k range, express trains to the city, and all of the great amenities that Wheaton has to offer. You might also find something in Glen Ellyn (maybe comparable to Hudson, OH in some respects?).

Old 09-24-2014, 09:15 AM

5,523 posts, read 13,092,309 times
@Lookout Kid: She said Oak Lawn, not Oak Park.

Old 09-24-2014, 09:18 AM

Will pass those along to the wife for review, thanks for sharing.

Would consensus be that the North Shore is out based on our budget? Wouldn't mind being in a small house in a nice area. We have too much house currently as it is, never go in two of the 'spare' bedrooms.

Old 09-24-2014, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
Edited! That's a pretty big difference.

Old 09-24-2014, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sancho Romney View Post
Would consensus be that the North Shore is out based on our budget? Wouldn't mind being in a small house in a nice area. We have too much house currently as it is, never go in two of the 'spare' bedrooms.
Even the low end in North Shore towns like Wilmette or Winnetka will be above $450k, unless you find something with an obvious problem (structural, bad wiring, etc.). You might be able to find something in Highland Park. Deerfield and Northbrook might work for you, but I don't see any advantage over places further west like Arlington Heights.

I know this price range well, as we initially started looking for houses with the same budget in 2012. We were eventually able to increase our budget to $550k, and that opened up a lot more options.

Old 09-24-2014, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
Man, I must have written that like a mom lol. To paraphrase the State Farm commercial, "I'm a guy, so..."

But I did initially write Oak Park then realized the mistake. My bad.

LTHS and La Grange look really good. Short commute too...

Old 09-24-2014, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sancho Romney View Post
LTHS and La Grange look really good. Short commute too...
Definitely one of my favorite suburbs. We found that the houses we wanted walkable to the train were generally in the $650k-$850K range, but there are less expensive houses south of 47th street that are more "post-war" ranches. School district 105 isn't as strong as 102 due to the middle school, but it's still a good option (47th street divides the two elementary districts).

Old 09-24-2014, 10:42 AM

73 posts, read 150,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Definitely one of my favorite suburbs. We found that the houses we wanted walkable to the train were generally in the $650k-$850K range, but there are less expensive houses south of 47th street that are more "post-war" ranches. School district 105 isn't as strong as 102 due to the middle school, but it's still a good option (47th street divides the two elementary districts).
That's an accurate description of South of 47th & East of La Grange Road in La Grange.South of 47th and West of La Grange Road has more housing diversity with Colonials, Georgians, Cape Cods and the aforementioned ranches. Some of the ranches North of Plainfield Road are also technically in Countryside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs