Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 09:45 AM

4 posts, read 18,806 times

Advertisements

I live in a homogenous straight single-family suburb with my kids. My girlfriend and I are looking to relocate in Chicagoland and are looking for an area that is lesbian/gay friendly. We'd love a diverse area where my kids will see others in similar situations (even if just a few), or at least will not be ostrasized (sp). So far, all we've come up with is Oak Park and Evanston, which are pretty pricy for what you get. Anyone have good experiences in or suggestions for another lesbian friendly suburb where we can get a little more house and land for our money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2007, 10:17 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,465,991 times
Berwyn, which neighbors Oak Park to the south, has a large (and growing) gay and lesbian community, and home prices and property taxes in Berwyn are much lower than Oak Park or Evanston. For more info, go to BUNGALO's (Berwyn United Neighborhood Gay And Lesbian Organization) web site and the several recent threads on this Board discussing the community, e.g.:

//www.city-data.com/forum/chica...ke-berwyn.html

Old 08-28-2007, 10:52 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,955,364 times
Although I'm a big fan of Berwyn, I think its fair to say that there's mixed opinion about the quality of Berwyn schools.

Old 08-28-2007, 11:13 AM

2,141 posts, read 7,868,235 times
Oak Park is definetely your best bet. They have a vibrant gay community and good school system.

Old 08-28-2007, 11:53 AM

Wow, I had never thought of Berwyn. The real estate prices look great and I like the brick bungalo homes. Although I see that their city council voted to exclude sexual orientation as a protected class in their city's anti-discrimination policy in the 90's. I've called their office to see if that's still the case but haven't heard back yet. We are really looking for as welcoming a community as we can find. Oak Park does seem to fit that bill (and for schools to address the Sukwoo's comment), although the home prices are comparatively high and (IMHO) the area is opening so much chain retail as to lose some of its charm. But we can't have it all, I guess!

Thanks all for your replies.

Old 08-28-2007, 11:57 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,955,364 times
You might want to check out thewww.berwyntalk.com website. Lots of locals spouting off about various aspects of Berwyn, including schools, crime, development, etc.

Old 08-28-2007, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post
Although I'm a big fan of Berwyn, I think its fair to say that there's mixed opinion about the quality of Berwyn schools.
I agree, though much of the criticism is leveled at the high school (Morton West). I think it gets a worse rap than it probably deserves but it's definitely not New Trier or OPRF, that's for sure. It needs improvement (though at least the administration is admitting that there are problems that need to be fixed ASAP). As a general rule, the elementary and middle schools in District 100 (South Berwyn) will be better than those in District 98 (North Berwyn), with Emerson and Heritage in Dist. 100 being the best of the bunch. I'd send my kid to those schools.

Old 08-28-2007, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smd818 View Post
Wow, I had never thought of Berwyn. The real estate prices look great and I like the brick bungalo homes. Although I see that their city council voted to exclude sexual orientation as a protected class in their city's anti-discrimination policy in the 90's. I've called their office to see if that's still the case but haven't heard back yet. We are really looking for as welcoming a community as we can find. Oak Park does seem to fit that bill (and for schools to address the Sukwoo's comment), although the home prices are comparatively high and (IMHO) the area is opening so much chain retail as to lose some of its charm. But we can't have it all, I guess!

Thanks all for your replies.
Correct, and that is why Bungalo was formed. See below link for explanation...

Bungalo History Page

Though I didn't live there back then, I would guess that the climate from a tolerance perspective has changed greatly since the early '90s.

Old 08-31-2007, 10:37 AM

4 posts, read 31,588 times
Oak Park and Evanston a very gay-friendly, but definitely more expensive than most suburbs. There are lots of pockets of support through-out the suburbs. I have lesbian friends in Grayslake with kids and they have had no problems. OutInTheSuburbs.Com is a good source of gay-friendly resources in Chicago's suburbs.

Old 08-31-2007, 09:51 PM

Thanks. While I sincerely appreciate the suggestion that lesbians can be accepted throughout the suburbs, frankly I don't want to live in a 'pocket' unless its in an area where that small segment is not a complete anomaly (not that you are suggesting that's what these suburbs offer). It's been a rough closeted road so far for me and my family so far in my heterocentric suburb, and I'm not ready to be a pioneer. So maybe Oak Park and Evanston are the choices (with good schools) and we'll have to pay the premium for a degree of inclusion.

Sorry to scathe on your well-intended suggestion. It'd just be nice to be able to move into a decent neighborhood without worrying it'll be social Siberia. I guess this is the same experience any minority group has, and the reason that the 'neighborhoods' were formed. I wish there was a glorious diverse lesbian friendly suburb with low taxes and reasonable housing - it'd be so GREAT! But as I always say, you can wish in one hand and crap in the other and see which one will fill up first.

Thanks again (really!!!!!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs