Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 06:06 PM

88,964 posts, read 44,780,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenty View Post
I have a friend who is thinking about moving from the south side of Chicago to the suburbs for good public schools. Could someone tell me how good are Fremd High School, Palatine High School, Vernon Hills High School, Buffalo Grove High School, J B Conant High School, Lake Zurich High School, and Comm H S Dist 99 - North H S?
US News & World Report recently released their list of Top US High Schools. Their ranking measures students' college readiness plus how well each high school educates ALL of their students, not just the college bound high achievers. Any high schools in the Gold or Silver Medal Winner categories would be a good choice.

Cook County Medal Winners:
http://www.usnews.com/directories/hi...ok/detail+less

Lake County Medal Winners:
http://www.usnews.com/directories/hi...ke/detail+less

DuPage County Medal Winners:
http://www.usnews.com/directories/hi...ge/detail+less

McHenry, Kane, and Will Counties don't have any Gold or Silver medal winners.

A good education is key in today's world!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2008, 06:19 PM

137 posts, read 202,222 times
Does anyone know where I can get attendance maps. I cannot seem to find them on any of the district websites. Does anyone know how Schaumburg or Hoffman Estates High Schools are?

Old 01-01-2008, 07:08 PM

677 posts, read 4,209,369 times
Quote:
Does anyone know where I can get attendance maps. I cannot seem to find them on any of the district websites. Does anyone know how Schaumburg or Hoffman Estates High Schools are?
The maps are usually in the "about us" section of a district's website. Schaumburg HS is okay; I would avoid Hoffman Estates HS because of its low test scores.

Old 01-01-2008, 07:17 PM

88,964 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Those are District 211 high schools. District 211 has two US News & World Report Silver Medal Winners - Fremd and Conant. Of those two, Fremd is better. Schaumburg and Hoffman Estates High Schools did not win Gold, Silver, or Bronze, so they're less desirable.

District 211 Boundaries Map (pdf file):
http://www.d211.org/pdf/WallMap-2001.pdf

Old 01-01-2008, 07:28 PM

41 posts, read 409,271 times
You can check IL school rankings at:

http://www.suntimes.com/pcds/cgi/schools.cgi (broken link)

Also www.GreatSchools.net (broken link) can give you details about specific school.

Old 01-01-2008, 07:41 PM

9 posts, read 39,463 times
Downers Grove will take you about 25 minutes with no traffic if you take I-55. However, during rush hour, I-55 is a parking lot (the max time it's taken me is about 1.5 hours). Hoffman Estates/Palatine is about 30 minutes away if you take I-90, but again during rush hour, it could be brutal. I know DG can be kind of expensive for what you're looking for. Try Lombard. It'll be about the same travel time as DG.

Old 01-01-2008, 07:42 PM

1,654 posts, read 7,345,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahava View Post
The maps are usually in the "about us" section of a district's website. Schaumburg HS is okay; I would avoid Hoffman Estates HS because of its low test scores.
Test scores are relatively unimportant.

Old 01-01-2008, 09:03 PM

Thank You everyone for your help. Now, what are the schools in Algonquin and Lake In The Hills. She is in school and wants to become a teacher and he works for DHL and is a Chicago Firefighter. Are there any jobs in the local public or private schools, dhl, and in the fire department? How far is Lake In The Hills from Chicago?

Old 01-01-2008, 10:21 PM

677 posts, read 4,209,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennquaker09 View Post
Test scores are relatively unimportant.
In your opinion, apparently, but there are plenty of people out there who disagree. What do you think is important in deciding whether or not a school is good?

Old 01-01-2008, 10:43 PM

I believe that test scores are very important, because it shows if the teacher's methods are effective or not. Also they are not everything. My friend would like her kids to go to a school with programs that her kids are interested in. A school with a good reputation in Math would be good. Good athletics like Wrestling, Soccer, and Football. Her oldest would be coming out of Mt. Carmel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs