Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2007, 10:18 PM

6 posts, read 36,570 times

Advertisements

hi,

i am relocating from Dallas, TX to Chicago. will be working downtown, and have already found a few homes in our price range in Bolingbrook and Gurnee.

are there any other suburbs in the North, NW or West areas that are similar to both cities?

we are looking for newer single family detached homes (<15 years), 350k budget, 3 br/2 ba minimum with the same feel as the "newer" areas. high property tax rates are out (i.e. grayslake etc). metra access is a priority, with no more than 1hr 15 min travel

any recommendations?

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2007, 10:36 PM

1,464 posts, read 5,513,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asmodean View Post
hi,

i am relocating from Dallas, TX to Chicago. will be working downtown, and have already found a few homes in our price range in Bolingbrook and Gurnee.

are there any other suburbs in the North, NW or West areas that are similar to both cities?

we are looking for newer single family detached homes (<15 years), 350k budget, 3 br/2 ba minimum with the same feel as the "newer" areas. high property tax rates are out (i.e. grayslake etc). metra access is a priority, with no more than 1hr 15 min travel

any recommendations?

thanks!

You are aware that Bolingbrook and Gurnee are pretty much at opposite ends of the city right? You really cannot compare the two at all. Gurnee is so far north that it is almost a mix burb of not only Chicago, but also Milwaukee/Kenosha! If you are looking for an area more like Bolingbrook near Bolingbrook, then look in Plainfield, Romeoville, Osewego, Lockport, Lemont, Homer Glen, and even New Lenox which I know may be a little too far south for you, but a little FYI for you is that on most maps 355 is not even shown connecting all the way down to I-80 but it is complete and open now, so Lockport and New Lenox are only about 20 minute drives now to Bolingbrook! Thank you Gov. Blago!

Old 12-27-2007, 06:27 AM

6 posts, read 36,570 times
thanks NY!

yes, I am aware they are on opposite ends. I am looking for "newer" communities (wide roads, recent subdivisions, affordable housing), with a reasonable commute to downtown via metra.

i will definitely check the areas you mentioned

anyone else?

cheers....

Old 12-27-2007, 07:21 AM

1,464 posts, read 5,513,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asmodean View Post
thanks NY!

yes, I am aware they are on opposite ends. I am looking for "newer" communities (wide roads, recent subdivisions, affordable housing), with a reasonable commute to downtown via metra.

i will definitely check the areas you mentioned

anyone else?

cheers....

You're welcome. Sorry if I came off as poking fun at you, I didn't mean it that way.

Now that I am aware of what you are looking for, then I would say that if you are looking for WIDE up to date roads, then you need to steer clear of WILL county. The roads in Will County are known by both residents and even IDOT to be very antiquated. Most roads are still only two lanes (old farm roads) and with the state's current financial crisis going on of supposedly having no money and having to always play catch up with our roads, the roads won't get updated anytime soon as there are simply too many to update and too many people moving out there too fast. That said, you may want to look in either Cook or Du Page County instead. There are plenty of areas in both counties that will fit your bill from the obvious, Naperville/Bolingbrook, to Oak Brook, Lombard, Woodridge, Downers Grove, Westmont, Willowbrook, Burr Ridge, Lemont, Orland Park, Palos Park, Hickory Hills, and Claredon Hills. The "newest" of new towns I just listed would be Naperville, Bolingbrook, Burr Ridge (tons of mc mansions), Orland and Palos Park (lots of new mc mansions), and parts of Willowbrook.

Old 12-27-2007, 08:12 AM

84 posts, read 428,793 times
If you're partial to the north burbs, maybe check out Vernon Hills and Lake Zurich. They're moderately priced Lake County burbs with more newer construction than the closer-in more high priced towns. VH probably has better Metra access. Lake County burbs are not known for low property taxes, so not sure these will meet all of your criteria. If you were originally looking as far as Gurnee, maybe check out Crystal Lake further West. Tons of new development, still affordable, decent schools, and several nearby Metra stops.

Old 12-27-2007, 06:08 PM

356 posts, read 543,434 times
Better get a little more familiar with Chicago geography and commute times-- If you are working in the city you need to refine your search and check out Metra lines and communities along the metra unless you particularly like 1+hour commutes...

Old 12-27-2007, 07:47 PM

1,216 posts, read 5,779,828 times
Quote:
high property tax rates are out (i.e. grayslake etc). metra access is a priority, with no more than 1hr 15 min travel
taxes are gonna get you pretty much everywhere.

I do not know much about "the city" but from what i know of most of the 'burbs
expect on the average, 2% [give or take] of your purchase price. for lower taxes, i know many who go for "unincorporated" parts of town, but you won't or most likely wont have the train.

as John stated.... check out the various "lines" of Metra and choose some towns that way.

this site should help
http://metrarail.com/Stations/index.html

Old 01-06-2008, 11:50 AM

9 posts, read 49,631 times
Gurnee has the Metra and so do other N. suburbs including Lindenhurst, Lake Villa (60046), newer areas of Round Lake(60073) and all near tons of shopping, with newer homes less than 10yrs old all within your price range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs