Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2014, 11:07 PM

6 posts, read 12,182 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I will be relocating to the area in the next few months to take a job in Joliet. I am currently researching places to live.

My workplace will be in the very southern part of Joliet, south of the river.

I am 28, male and single. While living in Chicago would be great, I know I'll have to throw that dream out as a 2 hour each way commute does not seem very appealing.

Right now I am looking at Naperville. Doing some research, it seems like a decent place for a young professional, with some bars and restaurants and decent night life and also plenty of other good stuff to do, and also has direct train access to downtown Chicago. I also cruised through there and it seems like a good place.

What I don't know right now, is how will the commute be? Google maps says about 40-45 minutes, but I'm not sure if this accurately accounts for traffic.

Does anyone have any insight in what this commute will be like? I currently have a 35-45 minute commute for my job and don't mind it - I'm hoping to keep around this range maximum.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2014, 12:01 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,082,339 times
Naperville is so big, it would depend on what part of Naperville you would be commuting from. It would be around 40 minutes from northern Naperville and far west Naperville, but around 30 minutes from the southern part.

Old 12-27-2014, 03:37 PM

6 posts, read 12,182 times
Thanks for your response.

I don't know too much about Naperville but I checked out the downtown area and that looked very nice - I would like to live close to there if possible.

Google maps has me going down I-55 to get to and from work from Naperville. I believe when I checked out the area, starting from about my workplace, my GPS had me take 59 to Naperville - I could see how this drive would get old real quick.

Does anyone have any insight on how traffic would be during the standard rush hour times - 7 am and 5 pm? I currently have a congested, 45 minute commute that turns me into a zombie after I get home. Any idea if I'll experience anything like this? I'd prefer not to, but for the sake of happiness, I'll put up with it.

Old 12-27-2014, 07:21 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Trying to get to a job in Joliet while living in Naperville will mean you do face some traffic issues but the alternatives are no better.

Joliet is a town that covers a large area with mostly low population density. Even in the parts of town that could support dense residential the lack of jobs / retail make for bleak conditions.

The west side of Joliet is less run down but still hardly the kind of place a young single would feel good about -- chain restaurants that close early and other "family oriented" options don't really offer much for the OP.

Naperville is probably the way to go, get you smart phone set up with Waze and try to time the trips for minimal traffic hassles....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs