Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 04:24 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,324,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
The traffic bottlenecks between Elgin and Wheaton / Glen Ellyn are some of the most heinous rush hour choke points in the region -- the junction of 90 & 53 is terrible and the surface streets are worse.
Similarly the tie-ups between Wheaton / Glen Ellyn & Maywood include the notorious choke points along the 290, it would be extremely cruel to two parents to willing subject both of themselves to such torture.

Toss in the fact that grandparents would have further to travel compared to Barrington and there is nothing to really recommend this move in this situation ...
Barrington is 35 miles to Maywood and has to go through the same bottlenecks! It would kill the Maywood commuter. Fact is, Glen Ellyn/Wheaton would provide the fairest commutes in this scenario while also checking all other boxes.

Also, I may be mistaken but I don't believe there is a temple within short reach of Barrington...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2014, 04:26 PM

28,455 posts, read 84,957,533 times
I assuming the OP's son / daughter got a promotion at Sherman or Provena , that would be a tough commute compared to other parts of Elgin...

Old 12-29-2014, 04:27 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,064,690 times
Without traffic, it's a little under an hour from Glen Ellyn/Wheaton to Glencoe/Kenilworth. I used to commute from Highland Park to Oak Brook and it was awful and it's not as bad as commuting from Glen Ellyn/Wheaton to Glencoe/Kenilworth.

Old 12-29-2014, 04:32 PM

11,973 posts, read 31,635,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4122 View Post
Without traffic, it's a little under an hour from Glen Ellyn/Wheaton to Glencoe/Kenilworth. I used to commute from Highland Park to Oak Brook and it was awful and it's not as bad as commuting from Glen Ellyn/Wheaton to Glencoe/Kenilworth.
I guess it depends on what is more important... Commuting to work or an occasional drive for the grandparents. I know what scenario I would place more weight on myself.

I just can't see that Barrington to Maywood commute even being feasible. And most of the suburbs between O'Hare and Elgin are just not a good fit. Most have tract housing, bad schools, and a more working-class vibe.

Old 12-29-2014, 04:34 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,064,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holl1ngsworth View Post
Barrington is 35 miles to Maywood and has to go through the same bottlenecks! It would kill the Maywood commuter. Fact is, Glen Ellyn/Wheaton would provide the fairest commutes in this scenario while also checking all other boxes.

Also, I may be mistaken but I don't believe there is a temple within short reach of Barrington...
There's one in Long Grove about 15-20 minutes from Barrington.

Old 12-29-2014, 04:35 PM

For some reason it's just really easy to drive across Glendale Heights, Carol Stream, and Bloomingdale on surface streeets during rush hour. There are plenty of 40 mph routes and not so much traffic. I do it so often that I've figured out how to get through there very quickly in a predictable manner.

Old 12-29-2014, 04:52 PM

28,455 posts, read 84,957,533 times
My experience is that getting to / from Elgin from Barrington is pretty easy. Lots of forest preserves and not many nasty strip malls keep traffic jams to a minimum.
There are flat out MANY MORE retail establishments in the towns of northern DuPage that contribute to congestion at the intersections.

The relative hassle getting to / from Maywood is mostly confined to the Hillside portion of the Ike... Those are going to be as bad maybe even a little worse getting to/from Glen Ellyn or Wheaton compared to Barrington but my philosophy in these cases is never to make folks suffer equally but to try and give one parent a more tolerable commute. I know from professional experience in real estate sales as a former parent in two earner household that this is more tolerable...

Ideally I would encourage the parent working in Maywood to explore options at hospitals in Elgin, Barrington, Arlington Heights / Elk Give Village or even northern DuPage...

Old 12-29-2014, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
M...but my philosophy in these cases is never to make folks suffer equally but to try and give one parent a more tolerable commute. I know from professional experience in real estate sales as a former parent in two earner household that this is more tolerable...
This is reasonable advice, and could even point to just staying in Oak Park. Or finding something nice near Elgin if that parent is chosen for the easy commute.

Old 12-29-2014, 07:00 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,324,925 times
Glen Ellyn/Wheaton would be 35-40 to each work destination. Barrington to Maywood would be in an hour in traffic, and Barrington to Elgin would be 30 minutes... I understand the argument, but don't see how Barrington helps here.

If the OP's son/daughter really wants to go the 'one terrible, one tolerable' route it might make more sense to think about Park Ridge. Still gonna have one trip at an hour and the other at 30 mins, but they'd be a heckuva lot closer to the grandparents on the North Shore.

Old 12-29-2014, 07:06 PM
wjj

950 posts, read 1,344,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4122 View Post
There aren't really any temples in the western suburbs except for one in Aurora. Temples are usually in the north shore because there are a lot of jewish people there. The commute to the grandparents' house from the west suburbs would be a far commute. Your daughter should look at Arlington Heights . It's close enough to the north shore for temple and the grandparents' house, but it's also right in between Elgin and Maywood 30-35 minutes to each. There's also a lot of catholic churches in and around Arlington Heights. Arlington Heights has excellent schools too.
I would suggest looking at Buffalo Grove. Large Jewish population and many Jewish temples, but also home to one of the largest Catholic parishes in the suburbs - St. Mary's. It is pretty central to all of the places you would be going to, but it will be a reasonable drive to all of them. The trip to Elgin is not bad at all using Rt. 53 and the Adams tollway. Traffic is not that bad. The trip to Maywood would be a little worse due to 290, but should not be too bad if you use the Tri State rather than Rt. 53. Getting to the North Shore outside of rush hours is not too bad at all. During rush hour can be a challenge.

Schools in the Lake County side of Buffalo Grove are far better than in Oak Park. You could buy a newer 3500-4000 sq ft house in Lake County Buffalo Grove for less than your budget. What you will not find in Buffalo Grove is "wonderful architecture" or a "cool vibe". It is a newer suburb (founded in the mid 1950s) with a lot of open space, but nothing like the architecture in Oak Park and no downtown area (a plan to create a new downtown has been abandoned after significant objections by residents - BGers would rather keep all the green space than create another concrete and glass campus). You need to drive to get pretty much anywhere. If you are looking for even more open space, Long Grove is right next door and has similar demographics. BG is far less urban than a place like Oak Park, which is why so many people like it - and why some wouldn't be caught dead there. I have lived there for over 25 years, so you can guess my opinion!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs