Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2015, 07:46 PM

2 posts, read 1,656 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I am a 16-year old living in the Chicago Suburbs, about a half-hour away from the City. Being a Junior in High School, this year is very important as it will be the one colleges look at the most. For some reason, my pattern in school is to slack off a bit and then rush to get everything I slacked off on in during the weeks leading up to the semester finals. Somehow, I've been able to maintain a 3.5+ GPA doing this. But this year, I hit a major stumbling block. Despite everything I was told about the importance of junior year AND having two AP classes, I slacked off yet again. But this time, I made no effort to rush and improve the grade at the end of Semester 1 this year, and my GPA has slipped under 3.5, and because of this I may no longer be eligible for some financial aid going into college. My father is very worried (perhaps more upset than worried, though, for he has to pay for some of that college tuition too) and has told me to find a job. The problem that now faces me is the fact that I have Asperger's Syndrome. This is a social disorder that affects my ability to communicate with others (which might be a reason I couldn't bounce back from the slacking off this year) and the ability to handle multiple crises at the same time. The latter is manifested in a breakdown that makes me look like the kid from Home Alone: screaming incoherently, hands pressed to face, and eyes as wide as a spooked deer. This pretty much denies me the ability to work in the fast food business and a good deal of retail-type businesses.

Does anyone have any ideas of a job that will work to remedy my dilemma?

Thanks,
JT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2015, 09:01 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,940,693 times
What about a bagger in a grocery store? I see people such as Downs syndrome doing this job at Jewel. I know Aspergers is not the same...and plenty of people without these conditions work as baggers too. I also see a young woman clearing tables at a Culvers I frequent...she is also mentally handicapped in some way and seems to do well. Getting unglued and screaming will not work...suggest you work on this with therapy to control.

Old 01-21-2015, 09:32 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,370,617 times
Default Why would a job help?

No offense, but adding a job is going to add more stress to your situation.

Are there counseleors at school that you have talked to about this?

Have they recommended any specific course of action? Have you seen a therapist or other professional?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
View detailed profiles of: