Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 07:00 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,985,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by holl1ngsworth View Post
There's no reason to choose Oak Park in this situation. If you're willing to commit to such a winding, tortuous commute, you may as well tack on a little extra and live Wicker, Ukrainian, West Town, Fulton River or the West Loop. Oak Park is not a whole lot less family-orientated than Wheaton, and the extra commute and extra costs of renting there don't seem worth it...

Wheaton has 50,000+ residents, an active core and is just 20 mins south of Hanover Park. There are many young professionals in the upscale apartments lining Wheaton's downtown district doing exactly what Chet has recommended: living close to work and commuting to nightlife. In Wheaton you'd still have the ability to walk to things like the grocery store, restaurants, watering holes, a micro brewery, drama theatre, an improv group, an outdoor French market and much more, all while enjoying some hefty savings on your monthly rent. On top of that, everything from Cheetos and Red Bull to gym memberships and gas are cheaper out in DuPage, and we also enjoy a lower sales tax (8.25% vs 9.25%). Less overhead = more weekend fun and a brighter future...

Arlington Heights might work too, but the route is more zigzag; less direct.
What kind of rents are you seeing in Wheaton Hollingsworth? I applied for a job in Oak Brook and looked at some Oak Park apartments on line, was seeing $900 - $1,000 for nice 1 bedrooms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 08:06 AM

1,517 posts, read 2,341,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
What kind of rents are you seeing in Wheaton Hollingsworth? I applied for a job in Oak Brook and looked at some Oak Park apartments on line, was seeing $900 - $1,000 for nice 1 bedrooms.
About the same for a 1-bed near downtown and Metra. Less if further from the core...

I haven't seen any 1 beds in OP for under $1200. At least not anywhere near Metra or the downtown area. Are you looking south of 290, or east along Austin? I suppose it's doable in that neck of the woods for ~$1000. Even so, most of the inventory I've seen in the past at that price point wasn't anywhere near "nice." Old radiators, no central A/C, dated fixtures, etc.

And in my heavily biased but also (somewhat) experienced opinion, downtown Wheaton > non-downtown Oak Park.

Last edited by holl1ngsworth; 01-26-2015 at 09:26 AM..

Old 01-26-2015, 08:09 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,774,945 times
Quote:
And in my heavily biased but also (somewhat) experienced opinion, downtown Wheaton > non-downtown Oak Park.
Downtown Chicago > All suburban downtowns combined. And Oak Park is close enough to that for casual use.

I don't think Down Town Oak Park is bad. It has really improved in recent years in terms of places to get drinks and fine cheese.

Old 01-26-2015, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Downtown Chicago > All suburban downtowns combined. And Oak Park is close enough to that for casual use.

I don't think Down Town Oak Park is bad. It has really improved in recent years in terms of places to get drinks and fine cheese.
I agree?

I would never say downtown Oak Park is bad. And I didn't. It's great. I'm just saying I'd rather live in downtown Wheaton than in the Oak Park sticks. But alas, the appeal of city proximity is hard to deny. I just hope all the towns developing their cores can maintain their trajectory, suburban life has really begun to improve over the past few years....

Last edited by holl1ngsworth; 01-26-2015 at 08:27 AM..

Old 01-26-2015, 10:05 AM

Quote:
I'm just saying I'd rather live in downtown Wheaton than in the Oak Park sticks.
Ahh, got it. I thought you were saying that downtown Wheaton was a huge step up from downtown Oak Park. I agree with you on this point in terms of access to daily amenities in your suburb. But on the same track, I'd say the sticks of Oak Park are probably more fun than the sticks of Wheaton.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:07 AM

Quote:
But on the same track, I'd say the sticks of Oak Park are probably more fun than the sticks of Wheaton.
Mos def.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:14 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,943,200 times
Quote:
Ahh, got it. I thought you were saying that downtown Wheaton was a huge step up from downtown Oak Park. I agree with you on this point in terms of access to daily amenities in your suburb. But on the same track, I'd say the sticks of Oak Park are probably more fun than the sticks of Wheaton.
Also, given that Oak Park is 4.5 sq miles versus 11.5 for Wheaton, a lot higher percentage of Oak Park is non-stickish/sticky/stick-oid?

Old 01-26-2015, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
Also, given that Oak Park is 4.5 sq miles versus 11.5 for Wheaton, a lot higher percentage of Oak Park is non-stickish/sticky/stick-oid?
It's an interesting comparison since they are both roughly the same population. And while Wheaton has a nice compact core and some older traditional neighborhoods in the center of town, it then sprawls out in to a lot of post-war suburbia neighborhoods that most people live in. Oak Park is ALL walkable older neighborhoods/small lots--with the exception of a few mansions.

Old 01-26-2015, 11:50 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,985,566 times
Quote:
About the same for a 1-bed near downtown and Metra. Less if further from the core...

I haven't seen any 1 beds in OP for under $1200. At least not anywhere near Metra or the downtown area. Are you looking south of 290, or east along Austin? I suppose it's doable in that neck of the woods for ~$1000. Even so, most of the inventory I've seen in the past at that price point wasn't anywhere near "nice." Old radiators, no central A/C, dated fixtures, etc.

I LIKE the vintage apartments with radiators and no central air - hate new construction and I disagree about the downtowns, I personally prefer Oak Park. I have a friend who lives in Wheaton, and I do go to the French market occasionally, but Oak Park has more going on and it's so much closer to the city. Oak Park also has a farmer's market and I hear the cider donuts rule. Both are great towns.

Old 01-26-2015, 11:59 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,943,200 times
Quote:
It's an interesting comparison since they are both roughly the same population. And while Wheaton has a nice compact core and some older traditional neighborhoods in the center of town, it then sprawls out in to a lot of post-war suburbia neighborhoods that most people live in. Oak Park is ALL walkable older neighborhoods/small lots--with the exception of a few mansions.
Even the sleepiest part of Oak Park is no more than a 5-10 minute walk to some sort of commercial district (granted some of them are kinda lame) and no more than 3 blocks from a bus stop. Also, with the possible exceptions of Harlem and North Ave, all streets in Oak Park have wide sidewalks comfortably separated from traffic, and small blocks, all of which makes for a more pleasant pedestrian experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs