Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2015, 03:06 PM

28 posts, read 55,641 times

Advertisements

We need more space and have been searching for a 4 bedroom home. They are so very expensive in our area and it seems like quite a leap to buy in a community we aren't personally familiar with and so are thinking of renting for a year or two. Potential locations are Northbrook, Deerfield, Buffalo Grove, Highland Park, Lake Bluff, etc. We'll see what we can find in the 2500-3000/mo range and need excellent elementary schools too.
1. What is the best website for keeping an eye out for rentals. I love Redfin for real estate for its search and save capabilities - is there something similar for rentals? Something very up to date, that you can search by school boundaries, etc?
2. In these areas, is there a time of year that is most likely to have rentals available. I have heard by late summer the good ones are all taken as people try to get into desirable school districts before the year starts. Is that the typical pattern?
3. Would I have to hire a real estate agent or do people handle on their own in this region?
Thanks!

Last edited by hopehome; 01-26-2015 at 03:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 05:28 PM

19 posts, read 23,904 times
I've been using zillow.com. I'm not familiar with the patterns as I'll be a new IL resident, but I like the map feature Zillow. It also tells you what the assigned schools are for each rental as well as the schools' ratings from greatschools.com. Just some good info consolidated into one convenient website.

Old 01-26-2015, 06:10 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,084,314 times
Zillow is good and Koenig Rubloff is also good. Great Schools has a boundary search map where you type in an address an it will show you the assigned schools for that home. Great schools is only helpful for their reviews, but what's the best are Illinois Report Card and niche.com. Also, looking at school websites and looking at course catalogs for the high schools.

I've also been looking in Highland Park and my budget is similar to yours and I haven't found anything good. I doubt any of the towns you mentioned will get you a nice 4 bedroom home for under $3,000 a month except for Lake Bluff and Buffalo Grove.

Old 01-26-2015, 08:49 PM

28 posts, read 55,641 times
Thanks, I'll give Zillow a look. Any feel for how the time of year impacts availability? I don't, for example, want to assume what I want doesn't exist b/c it's not available now, only to find that tons of things come available at the end of a school year or something...

Old 01-26-2015, 09:50 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,084,314 times
For rentals, I've seen a bit more options in the summer. Most rentals are a one year lease minimum. Check Zillow every day or so to see if any new rentals come up. Just don't get your hopes up for finding something in HP, Deerfield, or Northbrook. You can still check every day for rentals in those towns just remember its not uncommon to find nothing in your budget.

Old 01-26-2015, 11:09 PM

16 posts, read 74,949 times
I've been using padmapper.com, hotpads.com, zumper.com, & craiglist trying to find a fish tank friendly 1br in Arlington Heights/ Mt Prospect for $800 or less. I don't know which is most accurate so I've been comparing the results from each site.

Old 01-29-2015, 08:52 AM

2 posts, read 1,927 times
I'm also looking to move to the Chicago suburbs. My go to sites are www.atproperties.com and hotpads.com.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs