Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 01:35 PM

179 posts, read 496,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
How do you know all these people are "bums overflowing the train station?"
Well, let's see. They're there every day, no matter what train I take. And when the train comes, none of them ever actually gets on the train.

(There's another *two* rule violations: rule #1, you can't be in the station if you are not a ticketed passenger; and rule #2, you can't be in the station for more than two hours no matter what.)

Quote:
And seeing this during your commute is diminishing your quality of life?
Yes it is. I and others get approached regularly. That's the rule violation #3, no panhandling. (Of course the sign says no "aggressive" panhandling. Whatever that means.)

Then there are the times the police are called to the station to negotiate a dispute between two bums. Just saw it the other day. One bum said the other took their earphones. "But she gave them to me!" Meanwhile the force is down two manpower dealing with this crap.

Quote:
We must start a thread on the vulgarity of it all! Senses are being assaulted by unsightly views, foul odors, plastic knapsacks, Salvation Army fashion choices.... Property values will be affected! People can no longer eat peacefully at their favorite bland ubiquitous suburban chain restaurant, because they have to look at people like this. This all diminishes quality of life. It's a tragedy.
Nice strawman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2015, 01:59 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,606,006 times
The laws are there to use when things are out of hand. But very few cops are going to force people out into the cold. And I don't blame them, I wouldn't either.

Old 02-26-2015, 10:55 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
Op, just be happy it isn't you sitting there. Maybe buy them some food every once in a while.

Old 02-27-2015, 11:13 AM

179 posts, read 496,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
Please post A.H. laws/rules on this so we may review...
Here you go:

Rules being violated on a regular basis: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #10, #11. Basically all of them, since rules #7-#9 don't really apply to bums.

Quote:
Please also post evidence that all those you took a picture of are "bums overflowing the train station."
Already did.

What more do you want? A video of the train arriving and none of them boarding it?

Quote:
Which is more offensive?

1. Seeing people with tattered clothing, plastic bags, a walker.
2. A stranger taking a picture of these people, and then posting picture on a forum while calling them "bums."
Your question, along with everyone else's suggestions to buy them "food" (or a "Nordstrom's gift card" ????) are completely irrelevant and off-topic. This thread is about non-enforcement of laws in the Chicago Suburbs. Yours and everyone else's social commentary is out of place.

Old 02-27-2015, 11:41 AM

70 posts, read 92,548 times
As far as I can tell, Metra's code of conduct isn't actually state law or a set of city ordinances that must be followed, even if the sign has the snazzy Arlington Heights Police watermark - it's their own private code, set by Metra. Whether Metra wants to enforce it or not is Metra's business.

If I'm incorrect, I'd be interested to know - of course Arlington Heights may have some anti-loitering or trespassing ordinance that applies, but I don't think the code posted on the sign was enacted by the legislature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs