Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2006, 02:10 PM

27 posts, read 156,129 times

Advertisements

I am confused...! I want a perspective from somebody who has lived or knows about schaumburg and naperville. I would appreciate if somebody could give me an idea of cost of living in both areas (i know both are pretty expensive....want to know which is cheaper among them)...difference in property tax rate. is there any site where we can compare the property tax rates. thank you in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2006, 01:06 PM

2 posts, read 11,154 times
My Husband, Daughter and I moved to the Schaumburg area nearly 4 years ago and have been extremely happy. The taxes in Cook County are much lower than collar-counties but the services are outstanding.

Every 4th, 5th, & 6th grader in District 54 received an IBook to use for all subjects! Moreover, the services for special needs children are well-established and effective.

If you are looking for Recreational opportunities they are extensive.

The recently-built Schaumburg Library is second in size only to the Harold Washington Library in Chicago.

The diversity in Commerce and population is also very appealing. It is much closer to O'Hare and Chicago than Naperville (if commuting time is a concern).

Good Luck.

Old 11-06-2006, 06:38 PM

Thank you for your reply...! How about cost of living....?

Old 11-07-2006, 04:48 PM

8 posts, read 31,581 times
just butting in on your subject...but when you say Schuamberg area, what would that include? What about the areas just outside of Schaumberg?

Old 11-09-2006, 11:55 AM

28 posts, read 179,611 times
I work in Schaumburg and live in the city.

Schaumburg...the home of Motorola!

Housing ranges between 3-400k for starters, unless you're talking townhomes.

LOADS of shopping, including Woodfield Mall.

Old 11-11-2006, 09:34 PM

4 posts, read 19,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhimulamalla View Post
Thank you for your reply...! How about cost of living....?
Naperville is definitely (potentially) better in the cost of living category. Housing generally feels like it's more than it's worth in Schaumburg, but there's the trade-off in being in the middle of everything shopping-wise (Woodfield Mall, etc.). Naperville can be pricey, but it's easy to get away from the expensive parts because it basically borders the far western burbs of Chicago (farther out, cheaper costs). If you're open to it, check out the smaller towns surrounding Naperville and you can find some good deals.

Old 11-12-2006, 08:32 PM

Thank you tdowling....!

Can you suggest me good towns surrounding naperville with good school district....

thanks again

Old 11-12-2006, 09:27 PM

4 posts, read 19,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhimulamalla View Post
Thank you tdowling....!

Can you suggest me good towns surrounding naperville with good school district....

thanks again
Well first of all, for what it's worth, Naperville was ranked as the #2 place in the country to live by CNN Money. It's based mostly on numbers, but that's pretty impressive! Neighboring Aurora was in the rankings too, at #55. Those two are kind of like the "twin cities" in the area. There are a bunch of others not too far away, like Bolingbrook, Lisle, and Warrenville, and if you go farther from Chicago (south or west), Sugar Creek and Oswego are pretty fast-growing and relatively cheap. Not sure about all of the school systems, but I have heard that Naperville's is excellent. You'll have to check to see how far its borders extend.

Naperville is growing so quickly...I think it's close to being the second-largest city/town/whatever in the state, if it's not there already. In the most crowded areas, it can be REALLY congested, but that's not the case all over since it spreads out so far. It's probably cheaper around the outer parts too. My wife and I checked it out last year and we liked what we saw as far as places to live (although we were looking at apartments). It seemed like a pretty genuine community.

Old 11-13-2006, 02:48 AM

18 posts, read 85,514 times
Let me start off by saying both suburbs, Naperville and Schaumburg, are amazing. Both have good school systems, a lot to do from shopping to nightlife to eating, both are safe. But both are expensive. I agree with what others said, Naperville ironically will be less expensive because it is further out west. If you want something in between these two suburbs, I would also suggest Bartlett, Woodridge, and Hanover Park. These suburbs give you a great bang for buck, and even in the morning, the traffic is not that bad, especially on 20. For example, my friend just moved to Bartlett, and for 380K, he got half an acre with a huge house including 4bed/3bath, full basement, 2 floors, and a driveway that literally can hold 6 cars, with room to still move around in. Either way though, I think any of the above you will be pleased with, they are all amazing

Old 12-09-2006, 09:58 PM

196 posts, read 966,286 times
These are all good remarks.....and fairly accurate.
I find both areas a lil too congested....but then if I could, I'd be on a farm somewhere and not have to deal with traffic. (smile)
Maybe someday...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs