Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 10:47 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,938,332 times

Advertisements

I agree with many things being said. Unless you live there you probably don't know much to judge you are just reading things and assuming. And I agree Naperville gets bashed a lot but its a fine place to live I think. But I also agree that living on the vast far flung fringes of Naperville may not have the advantages...I live in South Wheaton very close to Naperville and I like it because of what it offers and its not so crowded as Naperville can get. Agree that Wheaton has a rep of being very conservative but its not that way anymore especially the south end of Wheaton where the homes are newer and more newcomers have come in and bought homes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2015, 10:55 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,784,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
I agree with many things being said. Unless you live there you probably don't know much to judge you are just reading things and assuming. And I agree Naperville gets bashed a lot but its a fine place to live I think. But I also agree that living on the vast far flung fringes of Naperville may not have the advantages...I live in South Wheaton very close to Naperville and I like it because of what it offers and its not so crowded as Naperville can get. Agree that Wheaton has a rep of being very conservative but its not that way anymore especially the south end of Wheaton where the homes are newer and more newcomers have come in and bought homes.
Nearly all of the people I know from Wheaton are quite liberal, actually.

South Wheaton has some advantages. You have access to a lot of shopping and restaurants in Danada Square, Rice Lake Square, and the growing number of restaurants in Naperville on Freedom Drive. Ogden isn't too much further south from there. And you have all of the greenery of Danada and the Morton Arboretum right in your back yard, as well as the south branch of the Prairie Path.

Old 02-12-2015, 11:15 AM

939 posts, read 2,379,844 times
Overrated: Naperville, Northbrook, Arlington Heights, Oak Park, Evanston

Underrated: Elmhurst, Libertyville, Frankfurt, Lake Bluff, Downers Grove, Mount Prospect, River Forest

Old 02-12-2015, 11:54 AM

Try buying a house in Elmhurst, Downers Grove, or River Forest... They go fast and prices are high. Hard to say they aren't in demand, though perhaps they are "underrated" in that they don't always come to mind first in the popular imagination.

Old 02-12-2015, 12:16 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,602,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post

Most of the south suburbs are under-appreciated, and not just upscale Frankfort. Even the lower-middle class suburbs like Lansing, South Holland, Park Forest, and Evergreen Park aren't the horrible ghettos that people seem to think they are. They offer affordable, somewhat safe housing options even though the public schools can be bad.
I hear what you're saying, but elevating their status from ghetto to "somewhat safe housing options even though the public schools can be bad" isn't exactly selling it. It just tells me that it's not a ghetto and I still wouldn't want to live there.

Old 02-12-2015, 12:35 PM

2,274 posts, read 3,076,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paige65 View Post
Overrated: Naperville, Northbrook, Arlington Heights, Oak Park, Evanston

Underrated: Elmhurst, Libertyville, Frankfurt, Lake Bluff, Downers Grove, Mount Prospect, River Forest
I don't think Elmhurst is underrated at all (and I lived there for 7+ years). Most people realize it's a great community, hence the rising home prices. Plus it got ranked the best suburb in Chicago Magazine a little while back.

I agree about the others you have as underrated, and would add a few more like Tinley Park, Glen Ellyn, and Batavia to the list.

I don't think Naperville is Overrated. It really is an awesome community and has among the best schools in the state to go along with a fantastic downtown. There is a reason it makes so many "Best Of" lists. I'd agree with you and some other posters, though, that Oak Park is overrated. I think Schaumburg is, as well. You have all the Woodfield area traffic to deal with and the housing stock isn't that great (mostly 70s and 80s tract stuff).

Old 02-12-2015, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShampooBanana View Post
I agree about the others you have as underrated, and would add a few more like Tinley Park, Glen Ellyn, and Batavia to the list.
Glen Ellyn is very highly rated by those that live here--sometimes to the point of ridiculousness. Many seem to be living in some sort of North Shore or Hinsdale fantasy in the Western Suburbs. Or others think they're in New England. Lot's of "boomerang" residents who grew up here and came back. Don't get me wrong, it is a nice place... I just get frustrated with people who seem to think there is no other place on earth like magical Glen Ellyn.

Old 02-12-2015, 02:23 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,938,332 times
I agree Lookout Kid on what you say about both south Wheaton and Glen Ellyn. I have known a few people from Glen Ellyn and they are a world onto themselves. Many of them would not think of living in Wheaton but its just as nice if not nicer here. (its more of a toss up really--I think we have better shopping here)

Old 02-12-2015, 06:06 PM

26 posts, read 43,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Try buying a house in Elmhurst, Downers Grove, or River Forest... They go fast and prices are high. Hard to say they aren't in demand, though perhaps they are "underrated" in that they don't always come to mind first in the popular imagination.
As far as anywhere in Chicago being expensive - can we keep things in perspective? The price of a parking space in New York literally costs as much as a low-end house in Chicago.

New York City Is a Terrible Place to Not Be Wealthy - That's Rather Depressing - Curbed NY

Old 02-12-2015, 06:57 PM

3,495 posts, read 2,186,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyctransplant27 View Post
As far as anywhere in Chicago being expensive - can we keep things in perspective? The price of a parking space in New York literally costs as much as a low-end house in Chicago.

New York City Is a Terrible Place to Not Be Wealthy - That's Rather Depressing - Curbed NY
It's all relative. Can't compare New York prices to Chicago prices. That would be like comparing Chicago prices to Cleveland prices. What might be expensive to many Cleveland area residents may seem like chump change to many Chicago residents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs